I need all your high res Luke/OWK shared stunt photos

I'm can't see it being pewter. To me this is cast aluminum, the saber was shiny in the duel with Vader. Where Luke is looking at his own hand while holding the v3 in his left you can see she shines nicely

The grey color that we see now I believe is paint, pretty positive

I think the grey color under the black paint on the V2 is nothing more then old aluminum.

Our staging sits in the sun all day, all year round. We buy them brand new with a bright shine, now they are as dull as the grey V2 booster

For the record I am not against pewter what so ever. I just believe it is aluminum.

We know it's sister was cast in aluminum I don't think they would have changed it to pewter form it's original counterpart.

The V2 and v3 were constructed the same way from the same molds (so we have surmised) the V2 is just cleaned up more. The v3 was probably a Monday or Friday job when constructed and we all know what happens on Monday and Friday's (Devil horns)

What ever way Dan chooses I'm cool with "I believe in anakin starkiller!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dan! Any one have photographs of different cast metals as an example? This thing did get beat up pretty badly

But, when I look at the current state of the saber, the contrasting tones in metal between the aluminum tape and the saber body makes me think that it was not aluminum. To my eye, the color looks a little bit darker than the aluminum tape.
Well the cast metal of the body is old, and has darkened with age... the tape is newer so of course it's brighter.

This is allegedly an original casting - look how dark it has gotten:

saber1.jpg

The grey color that we see now I believe is paint, pretty positive
I strongly disagree - the way the light plays off of those sections doesn't look like any paint finish that I've ever seen... it looks like bare metal, plain and simple.

I think the grey color under the black paint on the V2 is nothing more then old aluminum.
And old aluminum is exactly the same thing we're seeing on the V3. Why would it be any different - they are both from the same era.

im not claiming I'm right, I'm only saying from my eyes. this booster screams paint to me. you can even see the orange peel in it. could be a illusion. it also almost matches that original casting photo you have posted. but to me it still looks like a newer coat of paint rather then old aged aluminum. the cubes even look like its missing paint in some photos

man i love that photo where ever did you get that?!?

I have no idea where you're seeing orange peel on the booster section - it's the smoothest part on that POS saber.

I don't recall where I got that pic, or these for that matter - I've always been in the habit of doing a "right click, save" whenever I see something that I think is worth saving (and I never can remember where exactly they came from)

LukeRealBlank.jpg LukeRealBlank2.jpg LukeRealBlank3.jpg

I have no idea where you're seeing orange peel on the booster section - it's the smoothest part on that POS saber.

I don't recall where I got that pic, or these for that matter - I've always been in the habit of doing a "right click, save" whenever I see something that I think is worth saving (and I never can remember where exactly they came from)

View attachment 740152 View attachment 740153 View attachment 740154

beautiful pictures!!

- - - Updated - - -

call me crazy ronin, but i believe I'm seeing paint here.

c196ffa7d79c07e9b568e46b9a59b08f.jpg

then again i am getting old you know :darnkids

@D48thRonin (anyone else see "DARthRonin"?)

I think that image was from the same video/gallery from where the supposed "Elstree Reveal" saber came from. My memory is hazy but I think I saw this there.

Also, it illustrates your point clearly on how the aluminium has aged but I believe this is a Yuma Stunt/Hero machined piece. The "grenade" rings, emitter face/lip thickness, length of the "windvane" neck, the shape of the pommel "cubes" (or rather what it will become), and the telling gap between the "booster" and "clamp" body tell me that this is from RotJ.

Some of that texture could be from the sand they may have used for the mold. I have several cast aluminum pieces around my house and you can see some grain from the casting process.

I'll put in my 1/50 of a dollar and suggest to go the aluminum route. There are some good aluminum darkening techniques (running through the dishwasher, dyes, aluminum black) to get the saber darkened if need be. Adding dents is easy enough with aluminum, but perhaps too easy with pewter.

Either way, I'm sure this project will turn out amazingly!.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

View attachment 740152 View attachment 740153 View attachment 740154

This isnt a casting. Its an unfinished machined saber from the infamous Elstree Props

Not to get this thread off topic, but can someone give me a very brief rundown of which scenes the V3 appears in in ROTJ? Here's what I know:

• Yuma body (Hero): Appears as the ignited/bladed/stunt saber in Yuma, in cleaned-up form as the closeup ISYHCANL saber, and the deleted cave construction scene saber
• V2: Appears in the majority of the movie, mostly as the belt hanger, but also as the saber which is caught in Luke's hand from R2 in Yuma, and as the saber sitting on the Emperor's chair (and also as the saber handed to Vader by the Imperial officer after Luke's capture, correct?)
• V3: Bladed stunt saber in Elstree for the final fight with Vader? And...? Was this also used in California when the saber was ignited during the fight with the Biker Scouts? Would it be simplest to just say this is the saber that appears whenever Luke ignites it in a place other than Yuma?

Again, don't want to get this thread off-track, but knowing this will influence how interested I am in getting one of these.

Don't forget that the aluminum in the tape and the casting are likely different alloy compositions, definitely different heat treatment, and different surface finish, which will all three subtly affect the appearance/color.

Last edited:
Not to get this thread off topic, but can someone give me a very brief rundown of which scenes the V3 appears in in ROTJ? Here's what I know:

• Yuma body (Hero): Appears as the ignited/bladed/stunt saber in Yuma, in cleaned-up form as the closeup ISYHCANL saber, and the deleted cave construction scene saber
• V2: Appears in the majority of the movie, mostly as the belt hanger, but also as the saber which is caught in Luke's hand from R2 in Yuma, and as the saber sitting on the Emperor's chair (and also as the saber handed to Vader by the Imperial officer after Luke's capture, correct?)
• V3: Bladed stunt saber in Elstree for the final fight with Vader? And...? Was this also used in California when the saber was ignited during the fight with the Biker Scouts? Would it be simplest to just say this is the saber that appears whenever Luke ignites it in a place other than Yuma?

Again, don't want to get this thread off-track, but knowing this will influence how interested I am in getting one of these.

the biker scout scene is very tricky..... he ignites the V2

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7159.jpg

But the swing? i dont know if he's using the v2 or v3, the wind vane looks too brown for me in the pic below
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7172.jpg

heres a great shot of the wind vane on the V3
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-12824.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-12928.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13443.jpg

It's been mentioned before that starting in ESB, when the lightsaber was ignited just for a few moments, it was just drawn into the frame without the fencing pole attached. I don't know if that was the case in the biker scout shot too but one could easily make a case for using the fencing stunt in that shot, just to line up the rotoscoping in post.

It's been mentioned before that starting in ESB, when the lightsaber was ignited just for a few moments, it was just drawn into the frame without the fencing pole attached. I don't know if that was the case in the biker scout shot too but one could easily make a case for using the fencing stunt in that shot, just to line up the rotoscoping in post.

Totally agree. My theory was the v3 had the dueling pole attached through out the entire filming of RoTJ. But this was recently ruled out when I saw a pic of the bridge scene where the imperial officer is handing over Luke to Vader

We see in the film the officer clearly hands over the V2. Bit a black and white photo shows him handing Vader the V3 with no nipple

I wonder if the v3 was a pain in the neck to attach the rod or something

I can also see time wise when filming the duel scene at the end. How much faster it would be to keep the V2 as is, and the rod on the v3. The saber is on and off so many times during that scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back