TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Not that I've been stalking his store, but a all-in-one Rey kit is not loaded up yet.

I've got money just burning a hole in my pocket for this.

I need a few more days. I'm sorry. It has been crazy busy after re-opening the shop! Don't you people have to go on a holiday? ;)
I'm also waiting for my friend who has a lasercutter here in Rotterdam to finish cutting the acrylic boards. Then I need to finally do some calculations for the price, make pictures and update the website.
Oh, and I also have a few 'regular' design projects going in the meantime :)

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

So we all know that this is a Graflex, right? (The Force Awakens teaser trailer #2) - but which one?

TFA 1_zpsxd4fpmqz.png

It seems like the glass eye has been turned down, and from what I see, it looks like the grips go down to the base. So can we assume this is the Finn hero? And if this is, in fact, the Finn hero it leads to belive that the Finn/Snow/Ahch-To/Wired hilt is the de(Finn)itive TFA Hero, making the Maz saber just a variant..:confused

More pics for affirmation:
FinnOutside.pngSnowTFA.pngAhchTo.pngWiredTFA.png

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 139
It seems like the glass eye has been turned down, and from what I see, it looks like the grips go down to the base. So can we assume this is the Finn hero? And if this is, in fact, the Finn hero it leads to belive that the Finn/Snow/Ahch-To/Wired hilt is the de(Finn)itive TFA Hero, making the Maz saber just a variant..:confused

Yes, we discussed this earlier in this Thread. The Maz box saber seems to be unique and different from the saber seem mostly in the movie, and may have been made after filming during pickup shots as the saber was originally going to be given to Leia by Maz in a cut scene.

Question on the glass eye, the edges/sides have been turned down yes, but what about the face of it? remain silver or has the front been taken down also?

Question on the glass eye, the edges/sides have been turned down yes, but what about the face of it? remain silver or has the front been taken down also?

I believe it's only the sides as far as the screenshots we've seen. If you read through this albeit ginormous thread now, you'll find a link to an Etsy replica eye that has this feature. Maybe Roy should add that to his kit. Not that I need more incentive to buy again from him.

Oh, joy! My replacement clamp cover showed up today!! Thank you so much for taking care of this Roy!!

Now, did anyone take photos on how to install it so I don't screw it up?

Also got my Graflex clamp from Roman yesterday!! I have been in lightsaber heaven!

We don't really know. The best image we have has got to be one of the WIRED photos that was released with their article about the TFA props, and it's a blurry one.
However, when I filed down the knurling on my eye, the plating started to flake off at the top. I decided to go one step further and removed it as well... Not the "inside" of the eye, just the slight rim at the top. :)

Here's that Wired image cropped:
17a22165a16ce6524ceb6c990f685a78.jpg

I'd say no, the brass is not exposed in the front of the edge, only on the side. But the surface does have a warm luster, so it might be the case after all.

Well, this clamp card is giving problems. I got my clamp apart, no problem. But I have been trying for two hours to get everything back together with out it springing open and launching parts of the clamp behind my bookshelf, which it has done, twice. And put a small dent on the card. Any advice on how to get this all back together? And yes, this is an original clamp.

I just had a nightmare with a Roman clamp, Wannawanga clamp card and V2 lever. I bought a set of micro spring clamps and put on on either end of the clamp so I could use two hands to get the lever in place, instead of one hand to hold it together, and one to thread the tiny pin.

I think the real question is why did they do this? Or did they do it? The propshop replica doesn't copy this detail. Mmmmmmmm
There was some discussion about it a ways back in the thread. The theories...

-They took elements from both Graflex's and the Anakin ROTS (which has smooth eye & short grips)

-Prop maker just wanted to put his signature on it.

-The knurl was damaged on the Hero and they just machined it down instead of swapping it out.

There was some discussion about it a ways back in the thread. The theories...

-They took elements from both Graflex's and the Anakin ROTS (which has smooth eye & short grips)

-Prop maker just wanted to put his signature on it.

-The knurl was damaged on the Hero and they just machined it down instead of swapping it out.

This!
I think the "personal touch" theory is the one that's most likely to be true. I think that if the glass eye was damaged, they would've replaced the whole thing or used a different Graflex. Money wasn't the issue. I think it was intentional... But I like it. :)

Last edited:
Narratively, I think that one could assume it was damaged after the fall on Bespin and somebody repaired it to the best of their ability resulting in some visual/sound differences from the last time we saw it.

Real world, I think they decided to create an "idealized" version with details from both versions.

That doesn't bother me-- what irritates me is that they weren't consistent with the details between the hero versions. I don't think there's any excuse-- obviously in the old days time and money and a lack of pausing HD meant prop people could ply loose. Details were never going to show.

But no way was anyone on the TFA prop team not aware of how iconic the Graflex was or this site and the level of detail super prop nerds like.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back