Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Didnt that droid in R1, who could also pilot a ship to and in hyperdrive also sacrifice himself for his "freinds"? Or was he programmed to do that?

Fair enough, but when my son dropped me off, after our first viewing, I said "See you around, kid" before I closed the truck door, & we both just grinned.

Wasnt that said in OT...and I remember something like that in Indiana Jones...cant quite put my finger on it.

Are we not trying to get out of OT quotes? and go to what the "new" stuff is?

Didnt that droid in R1, who could also pilot a ship to and in hyperdrive also sacrifice himself for his "freinds"? Or was he programmed to do that?
He chose to do that in the course of the mission. He wasn't 'ordered' to. He made a decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasnt that said in OT...

Are we not trying to get out of OT quotes? and go to what the "new" stuff is?
Yes, but Han saying it to Luke didn't mean anything to us. Luke saying it to Kylo did. It had weight, meaning, & probably a far reaching impact.

Usagi Pilgrim....I think I have made it clear that I dont want to interact with you, could you please respect that. As it seems the bulk of your comments come off the back of mine it would be just better for everyone if you did that. Even after you jumped on me about a post I made about someone else before they even made a comment about themselves, which they actually left a LIKE, in response to you still keep going. A reasonable person would have pulled their head in after that.

Now Bryan and I would have come to blows over some of our conversations had they been in a bar or such, yet I still like to interact with him.
What can you not gleam from that. I dont like you, its a simple enough concept to get your head around. Now come up with some original content and just carry on without including me and I will show you the same respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then this will be my absolute last response to you directly. I challenge anyone to go back through our interactions & see where I've done or said anything out of line or uncalled for. I've gone as far apologizing for anything you may have taken personally. That being said.. Let ME be clear...

You are tolerated by most, & up til now, myself. You think you can spout the rudest & derivative comments & long as you throw an emoji at the end of it, well, all's fair play. You LIVE on an island, you are NOT one. You have, for me, made many threads I enjoy, an absolute torture session to read. I'm sure that'll bring a smile to your face as you are the definition of troll.

I'm sure there'd be a similar interaction in a bar between the two of us, & I'm sure I'd lose... It's impossible to get a clear shot at a man with his head as far up his own *** as yours, & in my 7 years here, I've never seen yours out.

Have a good life & I sincerely hope you enjoy Episode IX.

I meant originally, it was just a goodbye. In TLJ, it was almost a threat. The situation changed the meaning. That's what I was referring to.

We both loved that line in the film, so I quoted it from that context.

Ok, I can see it that way.. but in the OT, it was a sad moment, (Han leaving?.. noooo)...But in TLJ, the set up was just not as good , to be a meaningful moment.

I will say this, , There were a lot of meaningful moment in TLJ... but just like a joke, it is only as good as the set up. And its the "set up" that failed. In the scenes... in the jokes... and in the, supposed to be, serious parts...

Ok, I can see it that way.. but in the OT, it was a sad moment, (Han leaving?.. noooo)...But in TLJ, the set up was just not as good , to be a meaningful moment.

I will say this, , There were a lot of meaningful moment in TLJ... but just like a joke, it is only as good as the set up. And its the "set up" that failed. In the scenes... in the jokes... and in the, supposed to be, serious parts...
Ah, gotcha.

I guess I made the 'set up' to that scene in my head. I know it's really the end of the first interaction we saw between the two of them, but in my head, I could hear Han saying that to Ben each time he left, which was probably a lot. By killing Han, Kylo thought he'd removed an obstacle to his growth in the Dark Side. He thinks by killing Luke, he'll do the same, but Luke clearly tells him you'll never be rid of me. Kylo tries to kill him anyways, so Luke's line would've been taunting enough, but using exactly what, again, in my head, I assumed Han said, that was just the extra layer the scene needed.

Not explicitly stated, but I don't think it's that far of a stretch.

We have a story arc for Poe that he needs to learn to be the leader. And at the end of that arc Holdo turns out to be the leader to show example. Now Holdo has just took the reins after a big defeat, the actual leader of the Resistance is between life and death, troops decimated, they’re being chased. I think it’s a really obvious thing to ask in this situation from the new leader what the plan is. And the leader who is supposed to be the example figure just says a commonplace saying from one of those Facebook daily wisdom pages and that’s it whereas they actually do have a plan. Does that not sound contradictory to the message of the story about leadership? The frustrating thing is that with just a tiny effort in screenwriting this could have been avoided, like she does tell and Poe says “it’s b*llocks, I have to figure something out myself”. Bang, there’s your story arc.

Meh. Kinda seems more silly that Poe wouldn't want to sneak down to the planet given the way the film set up the capital ship chase.

And then he just dies.

C'mon, Force 101, "strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

I got misty eyed at that scene, not gonna lie. The twin suns, John Williams score, Hamill's amazing acting...good stuff.

So you would sacrifice a major leader of a crumbling resistance over a droid.....wow.

No need for another movie...The First Order wins.

Somebody PLEASE change the topic.:lol
This from a guy crying about people quoting him? Seriously - dude, get a grip. Your post completely ignores the ideas and logic set in other posts and in Star Wars in general. No where did I - or anyone - infer the above. But, based on your posts - it's to be expected.

Oh, and I did so without whining like a bitch that some - OMG - quoted my post.

- - - Updated - - -

The ship itself?
Sure - cause we've seen the Falcon pilot itself so many times. :wacko

- - - Updated - - -

The ship itself?

This from a guy crying about people quoting him? Seriously - dude, get a grip. Your post completely ignores the ideas and logic set in other posts and in Star Wars in general. No where did I - or anyone - infer the above. But, based on your posts - it's to be expected.

Oh, and I did so without whining like a bitch that some - OMG - quoted my post.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

If you were able to expand your focus to more than a few posts back, you would understand the context of that comment about quoting my posts.

Whining like a bitch? Wow, thats a little sexist and a lot offensive isnt it?

Epic fail from start to finish.

Thanks for your positive and ever fascinating input JD.

Your next post should begin with an apology to fifty percent of the worlds population.

Last edited:
So, realized something this viewing, dont know if it has been mentioned before, and it more so explains why luke died. During the first or second force-facetime between Rey and Kylo, he says something along the lines of "why is the force connecting us? I know you arent doing this, the effort would kill you" so, that is infering that projecting an image of oneself through the force takes so much sheer strength and effort that it may kill you. So Luke, without a way to get to Crait, did the only thing he could, with the knowledge that it would kill him.

Quick question:

If Luke was intent on marooning himself on the island to die and cutting himself off from the force, why do it at the first Jedi temple at such a force sensitive place - that's like saying "I'm never eating meat again" and then camping at a McDonalds for the rest of your life. That doesn't make any sense. He could have been moping about anywhere hidden in the galaxy. In TFA I felt it implied that Luke had gone to the first Jedi temple for some kind of answers, was this idea just ignored like so many others, or should we believe that once Luke got to Ach To he thought "Screw this, I can't be bothered" Either way it's nonsense. This part of TLJ is what irks me so much - it's the drive for both TFA and TLJ and seems empty story wise.

So, realized something this viewing, dont know if it has been mentioned before, and it more so explains why luke died. During the first or second force-facetime between Rey and Kylo, he says something along the lines of "why is the force connecting us? I know you arent doing this, the effort would kill you" so, that is infering that projecting an image of oneself through the force takes so much sheer strength and effort that it may kill you. So Luke, without a way to get to Crait, did the only thing he could, with the knowledge that it would kill him.

Gotcha covered a few pages back:
Likewise, whether or not one agrees with the creative decision to have Luke force-project himself onto Crait, the fact that he does it, actually solidifies the fact that Luke has re-connected to the force and is still one of its most powerful wielders. Kylo says to Rey: "you can't be doing this, the effort would kill you." Luke one-ups Kylo on what he (Kylo) thinks are the limits of force abilities. That's why Kylo doesn't realize Luke isn't there...he can't even comprehend Luke having the ability to do that in the first place.

Meh. Kinda seems more silly that Poe wouldn't want to sneak down to the planet given the way the film set up the capital ship chase.
Silly like Rose saving Finn in the name of love? If Poe said “I won’t be running away from them I’m gonna find a way to fight back now” it would have fitted in perfectly in their arc of “stay cool and look at the bigger picture” and the “you win by saving what you love instead of killing what you hate” if they really want to push these messages. In fact it’s baffling to me why it was just Holdo keeping the plan to herself instead of something like this.
It’s really screenwriting basics, give your characters legit motivations otherwise the audience won’t relate to them.

C'mon, Force 101, "strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

Yea only that Ren did NOT strike him down. Luke appears to face Ren and the FO against all odds. Ren takes up the challenge but can’t even touch Luke. Then Luke reveals that he is in a position where he really can’t be touched. He defied Ren and the FO, won a duel of wits and force capabiluties and Ren is furious that he was fooled and he can’t hurt Luke.
And then Luke just dies.
So how did that play out in the “becoming more powerful than possibly imagine”-sense any different to Luke projecting down to the spacepub for a few rounds and then dying of the effort? Ren had nothing to do with his death directly. I’m okay with killing off Luke but from story perspective it didn’t make sense. Again, give proper motivations and consequences when writing a script.

Quick question:

If Luke was intent on marooning himself on the island to die and cutting himself off from the force, why do it at the first Jedi temple at such a force sensitive place - that's like saying "I'm never eating meat again" and then camping at a McDonalds for the rest of your life. That doesn't make any sense. He could have been moping about anywhere hidden in the galaxy. In TFA I felt it implied that Luke had gone to the first Jedi temple for some kind of answers, was this idea just ignored like so many others, or should we believe that once Luke got to Ach To he thought "Screw this, I can't be bothered" Either way it's nonsense. This part of TLJ is what irks me so much - it's the drive for both TFA and TLJ and seems empty story wise.

If it was me, the last place I would go into hiding if I was Luke would be the most sacred of Jedi landmarks, and why bother to leave a map to where he was anyway? The place had a swimming pool absolutely screaming with the Dark side and Snoke and Kylo couldnt even sense it yet can ForceTime across galaxies?

Last edited:
Silly like Rose saving Finn in the name of love? If Poe said “I won’t be running away from them I’m gonna find a way to fight back now” it would have fitted in perfectly in their arc of “stay cool and look at the bigger picture” and the “you win by saving what you love instead of killing what you hate” if they really want to push these messages. In fact it’s baffling to me why it was just Holdo keeping the plan to herself instead of something like this.
Eh, don't throw out a red herring about Rose.

So in this hypothetical rewrite are we also changing what Poe's plan is?

Yea only that Ren did NOT strike him down. Luke appears to face Ren and the FO against all odds. Ren takes up the challenge but can’t even touch Luke. Then Luke reveals that he is in a position where he really can’t be touched. He defied Ren and the FO, won a duel of wits and force capabiluties and Ren is furious that he was fooled and he can’t hurt Luke.
And then Luke just dies.
So how did that play out in the “becoming more powerful than possibly imagine”-sense any different to Luke projecting down to the spacepub for a few rounds and then dying of the effort? Ren had nothing to do with his death directly. I’m okay with killing off Luke but from story perspective it didn’t make sense. Again, give proper motivations and consequences when writing a script.

Because it's not about fighting what you hate, it's about saving what you love. Luke expends the effort to foil Kylo and get Leia and the Resistance to safety.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back