Painting polyurethane foam?

mandalore697

Hey folks,

I've just made a cast of a chesterburster sculpt I made for a halloween project and need to know what are the best paints for painting polyurethane foam (expanding foam)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Are you talking about the expanding foam that hardens up? Or the latex variety used in makeup?

If its the hardened type, you can use damn near anything on it. In fact, I don't think you want to be in the same room with any chemical that can melt that stuff once it's hardened.......

Gene

Think of it as any urethane plastic/urethane skin as it is all about the primer. Once you find a good primer, you can use anything on top of that. The best primer I ever used on any urethanes is a brand called Futura. Believe it or not it is a water clean up. It is the same primer that it used over top of hardcoated foam. You could also go the route of using adhesion promoters. Matthews sells a primer/adhesion promoter called tie bond. You don't need to catalyze it just reduce it and it has to be sprayed. Smells like s#$t though. The cheapest way of course is a trial and error on spray can primers you can get at Pep Boys--Just test a small area and do a scratch/tape test on a small area.

do you need to scuff the surface of the rigid foam? or does the primer adhere to it well as a shiny surface?
thanks!

Think of it as any urethane plastic/urethane skin as it is all about the primer. Once you find a good primer, you can use anything on top of that. The best primer I ever used on any urethanes is a brand called Futura. Believe it or not it is a water clean up. It is the same primer that it used over top of hardcoated foam. You could also go the route of using adhesion promoters. Matthews sells a primer/adhesion promoter called tie bond. You don't need to catalyze it just reduce it and it has to be sprayed. Smells like s#$t though. The cheapest way of course is a trial and error on spray can primers you can get at Pep Boys--Just test a small area and do a scratch/tape test on a small area.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back