Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Someone on FB asked me to post a picture with a pop can so they could see the size. I figured I'd throw the pic up here to in case anyone was still wondering. Still have to do the wash. Didn't get a chance to over the weekend.

21b0nzd.jpg

Looks awesome! Can you show some detail on what you did to light up the trench notches? The third and fourth picture from the bottom seems to make them look like flood lights. Might be the angle the image was taken from but I like the effect.

Thanks! I used pre-wired "Picco" LEDs for the flood lights in the trenches and the garbage chute. You can see them elsewhere in this thread.

And with that I'll add that the ship itself is finished! I'll finish the base tonight and take some beauty pictures.j

Last edited by a moderator:
The ship and base are done, build complete! I'll start a new showoff thread tonight once I get my photo booth set up for it.

Awesome looking so far, Robiwon. Much cause for hope! You didn't forget to take those FO trimming pix, did ya?

WarpeD, here are the tools I use to trim fibers. I use the sprue cutters the most, but the others come in handy as well.
sxdwuh.jpg

Here is some trench fiber sticking out. Note that the entire fiber is covered in paint. Get your clipper in there as close to the hull as you can.
2s7we3m.jpg

Here is the same fiber, now trimmed, note that we now have a nice pinpoint of light.
optg6x.jpg

That's all there is to it. You may not always get right up to the hull with your clippers, but if not, that just gives you a bit of 3-dimensional lighting!

You better not let your wife catch you using her nail nippers like that! Or am I the only one stupid enough to do something like that. :D

Thanks for the info pix, Robiwon. I guess I'm just a wee bit parnoid about flush cuts. I have some time to conjure, since it's going to be a while before my hobby room is done.

Edge10, those are mine! I did make my wife go with me when I bought them though, lol.
Warp, looking forward to pics!

again, I'm late to a party...earlier in this thread you guys were talking about glue to hold the FO in place. One of you mentioned the UV stuff, but I didn't see a follow up. That see on TV stuff, Laser Bond has worked quite well for me. It also works well in spots where you can't get a clamp where you want one. a few strategic drops here and there while you hand hold you piece and most times it stays put except for really uncooperative pieces, but that's rare.

JMO

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I love the idea of the extra FO sticking out and cutting it back AFTER paint, and/or assembly...brilliant, many thanks

Lol, thanks edge10. I'm moving along on my second build. I angled the bridge down on it. I'll have more pics up in that thread soon.

Hi,

Great build a lot of cool techniques used!!

I especially like how you grouped the fiber into sections with small fiber runs with dedicated 5mm LED for each sections. I will do the same. LEDs are cheap and if by chance one was to burn out only a small sections would not be lit. I was thinking of staggering some of the fiber runs so if one was to go out you would not notice it all.

Is that heat shrink tubing over the 5mm LEDs to bundle the Fiber? if not what are you using?

Another idea of cutting the Fiber after model is painted. I was thinking of putting a dab of microcrystal clear over the fiber after its cut especially if it's a hard to reach area where flush cutting is difficult.

Just received my kit this week and it will be the first time tackling Fiber Optic

I plan on using 25mm, 50mm and 1.0mm FO..........what drill bit sizes should I look for?

I did some checking and below is what I came up with. I don't want the FO to be tight but not overly loose either in the drilled holes but a nice snug fit.

#80 (.35mm bit) or a .30mm bit for the .25mm FO
#75 (.53mm) or #74 (57mm) bit for the 50mm FO
#59 (1.04mm) or #58 (1.07mm) bit for the 1.0mm FO

The #80 bit is so small I can't see how the .25mm fiber optic is that small to go through that hole. I have to order some to see for myself.

I have the Tamiya electric drill.

The mod I did was to take the small Tamiya collet and in the front spread out the 4 prongs slightly that hold the bits. I took a metal file and gently filed the area where the bits go until the slightly rounded edge of the 4 prongs was almost gone. I filed 2 prongs at a time so they would be even and worked my way around until all were done. Now when the collet closes their is no more tiny round hole in the center it's almost completely closed which now holds a #80 bit super tight.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back