37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

now go getcha some a dat :)

Yup got the kit ordered from Randy Cooper and I am also just waiting on Mike to ship the kit to my very good friend who will be building my kit for me which he is as of right now building my Randy Cooper Star Wars Star Destroyer Avenger kit for me.

I have no skills or knowledge when it comes to building these type of kits let alone have the necessary equipment to even start it,lol

Wish I did know how to build them but I do not have patience plus I have no place to even work on them..As of right now I have a few Star Wars and BSG model kits still sitting in there original boxes not opened I bought quiet a few years ago one day I will build them..

The only thing I can build are Star Wars Lego kits,lol

Hi Mike ! :cool

We saw the kit this weekend bought by our friend Cabour, it is so beautiful, that I and my husband, us want to place an order (In 45 days of the conditions of the forum...) We also want to show you soon our work on a discovery 2010 of 8,5 feet long... May I send a MP ? Thank you.:D

Last edited:
Sure, go ahead and send a PM. I've been very busy making the new set of molds and they should be done by Friday, hopefully we will warm up soon, looks like Sat we may break the freezing mark....

thanks
mike

Hi Mike ! :cool

We saw the kit this weekend bought by our friend Cabour, it is so beautiful, that I and my husband, us want to place an order (In 45 days of the conditions of the forum...) We also want to show you soon our work on a discovery 2010 of 8,5 feet long... May I send a MP ? Thank you.:D

oh no! , we have MP's here now :lol

Sure, go ahead and send a PM. I've been very busy making the new set of molds and they should be done by Friday, hopefully we will warm up soon, looks like Sat we may break the freezing mark....

thanks
mike

I hope it also warms up here in North Eastern NY on the Canada and Vermont borders,seems like old man winter just does not want to leave it is still -5 degrees here with a North East wind blowing between 15 and 20mph dang it has been a very cold winter up here..

By the way sent you a PM..

Had a ? about the bottom of the center/coffin arms, so here is a quick couple of pics to hopefully help.

In other updates, so much of my energy the last couple of weeks has been divided between casting out of existing good molds and making a brand new set of molds for everything. New molds are pretty much done. Shipping will resume tomorrow.

I will be sending notes to people as the kits are ready to ship.

I have been a bit spread thin, so if you have a special shipping request, please remind me, sorry to do that to you guys, but i would rather have you remind me than make a mistake.

Few pics for now.

thanks
mike

002_zpsac0c2313.jpg

004_zps1a495e7d.jpg

005_zps846c7673.jpg

Thanks for the pics Mike. I can't see them as they are blocked at work. I'll check them out tonight when I get home. You Da Man!

Edit- O.K. now I can see them. It's a little clearer now where they attach.

Last edited:
So, had the chance to bring the 1/2 SS GAL into the presence of Sean Sides full GAL tonight, and all I can say is . . . damn! Mike did such a great job on this not so little fella, we spent about a hour going over each area of the kit and comparing them, and being blown away by Mikes attention to the original.

Oh, and I was wrong about my fiber statement above a few posts back. Looks like Sean used 1mm fibers for his GAL, and 1/2 is the .5mm that Mike is using, so I was wrong there. Setting the .25 aside for the Anigrand ISD build, and getting some .5 ordered along with some #74 bits ASAP. Looking at some areas its going to be . . . challenging to get fiber in, but will be worth it I think. I forgot how many bloody fibers are on the back of the body, still working out where to fit everything electronic in it.

Got to see the hex material in place with the original. Love it. I will be dry brushing the face a medium/dark silver for sure, and leaving the inner cells black for when the powers off. Yes, Sean had the back plate upside down for the first picture, he "meant" to do that to show off the raised center detail better! Yeah, that's it! :facepalm

Mind you, these are without Mike's engine inserts in place, but you get the idea. With the inserts, its within 2-3 cells, and some of that is due to the difference in the inner baffle slopes, not the hex material.

Looks 1/2 to me!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/belleauwood/photo1.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/belleauwood/photo.jpg

Ryan

Can you tell me where I can get the hex material please ?

Thanks, Phil

Oh, this is from Randy Cooper, in case it helps anyone out.

View attachment 275549

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan, that'll look fantastic!

Just wondering if there's any more instructions like this for the greeblie placement.

Thanks a lot

Phil

- - - Updated - - -

My kit arrived yesterday, what a fantastic kit, and I'm amazed at the quality of Mike's castings, the man is a genius !!!
Thanks a lot Mike !!

Cheers, Phil

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back