Doctor Who opinions

I can't remember, has anyone used "pandering" yet? That's another word people like to throw around.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

The Valeyard and The Watcher both super confuse me when I try to put them into the context of the current show.

Actually, The Watcher confused back then.. and now... I mean-- WHAT IS GOING ON.

When did "politically correct" become a pejorative?

Politically correct means not being cruel or negative towards people who have been classically oppressed because of what they are. That's not a bad thing. Generally speaking people make this complaint when they are bummed they can't get a laugh from their sexist/racist joke anymore.

You kinda answered your own question. It became soured when its well-meaning message was taken as to mean "demean others who don't agree with you" and placed importance on what someone looked like over what they can offer. Ribbing and rough-housing are perfectly normal human behaviors and a sign of a healthy society would be one where we recognize that we're all people of Earth and we can use one another occasionally as the butt of a jokes without intrinsically linking it to be some world-wide societal cancer. The real cancer is the one where we demean and shame people for what appears, superficially, to be a casual "-ist" joke.

Sure, I get you. But as it's applied here, political correctness is somehow bad because a woman took on a role that was originated by a man, and that is automatically bad. That's what is being said. There's a long way from good natured ribbing to thinking something is bad because a woman is now involved. Has the left pushed it too far-- for sure, but that doesn't mean the core ideals should be considered bad. Feminism is another word that is used negatively when all it means is that women should be equal to men. And yet, people constantly speak of it as a bad thing.

at any rate, I'll stop derailing. The Doctor has been cast regardless of what anyone thinks!

My question is where is the Valeyard

Out in the brickyard.

The Valeyard and The Watcher both super confuse me when I try to put them into the context of the current show.

Actually, The Watcher confused back then.. and now... I mean-- WHAT IS GOING ON.

I only dimly remember the Watcher, but my recollection is that it was explained as sort of an in-between regeneration that had some kind of time echo. These days the show would probably dismiss it with "Oh, yeah, that. I was experimenting and things went a bit off track. Confused me at the time, but bear in mind I was also wearing a lot of maroon back then."

The Valeyard makes ZERO sense anymore, and kinda reminds me of the Cartmel Master Plan in terms of it being this big deal thing that just kinda never went anywhere.

I guess the thing is that when you're talking about a Doctor from the future visiting the current incarnation, there's always the possibility that later actions "overwrite" that future incarnation, so you aren't bound to use it in the future. "Alternate timeline" and all that.

Anyway, back on point. I think she is a fantastic choice. She was brilliant in Broadchurch and, for me, this really ticks the box of "No, we went with someone for their acting chops, not just their chromosomes." She's also worked with Chibnall before, obviously, and clearly already has a good working relationship with him.

I haven't followed much of the announcement stuff, but from skimming my Facebook feed, the Doctor Who site basically just said something to the effect of "Here's the 13th Doctor!" And that was it. Not "Here's the 13th Doctor, and get ready for a pink TARDIS!" or whathaveyou. No (from what I saw) leaning on the fact that the new Doctor is a woman.

Coupled with the actual actress cast (and given what I've seen her in), I think all of this really does suggest that they were looking for the right actor for the part. Chibnall may have had this in mind when he pitched for the job, even, since he would have already worked with her at the time. So, the story may well be that, from the outset, they knew what kind of Doctor they wanted, and Chibnall always structured the character around her rather than around "and he's a lady now."

To my way of thinking, that suggests a more more cohesive vision of the character as a character, and less as, like, an archetype or just a collection of demographic facts.

Out in the brickyard.

I only dimly remember the Watcher, but my recollection is that it was explained as sort of an in-between regeneration that had some kind of time echo. These days the show would probably dismiss it with "Oh, yeah, that. I was experimenting and things went a bit off track. Confused me at the time, but bear in mind I was also wearing a lot of maroon back then."

The Valeyard makes ZERO sense anymore, and kinda reminds me of the Cartmel Master Plan in terms of it being this big deal thing that just kinda never went anywhere.

I guess the thing is that when you're talking about a Doctor from the future visiting the current incarnation, there's always the possibility that later actions "overwrite" that future incarnation, so you aren't bound to use it in the future. "Alternate timeline" and all that.

Anyway, back on point. I think she is a fantastic choice. She was brilliant in Broadchurch and, for me, this really ticks the box of "No, we went with someone for their acting chops, not just their chromosomes." She's also worked with Chibnall before, obviously, and clearly already has a good working relationship with him.

I haven't followed much of the announcement stuff, but from skimming my Facebook feed, the Doctor Who site basically just said something to the effect of "Here's the 13th Doctor!" And that was it. Not "Here's the 13th Doctor, and get ready for a pink TARDIS!" or whathaveyou. No (from what I saw) leaning on the fact that the new Doctor is a woman.

Coupled with the actual actress cast (and given what I've seen her in), I think all of this really does suggest that they were looking for the right actor for the part. Chibnall may have had this in mind when he pitched for the job, even, since he would have already worked with her at the time. So, the story may well be that, from the outset, they knew what kind of Doctor they wanted, and Chibnall always structured the character around her rather than around "and he's a lady now."

To my way of thinking, that suggests a more more cohesive vision of the character as a character, and less as, like, an archetype or just a collection of demographic facts.

She also has now said, that he was the one who pushed her to try for the part. And it might have been before it was known he got the job as the showrunner - don't recall that bit off hand. So he got the doctor he wanted. From watching broadchurch - he gets the big benefit of the doubt until well into the first season.

I....hmm...I'm not sure I'd say I "enjoyed" the first season of Broadchurch, but I found it compelling and well-made. It was grueling to watch, though, and she was terrific in it. I gather the 2nd season was a bit of a mess, but the 3rd is back on track.

All tolled, I think Chibnall may turn out to be a good showrunner, but we'll have to see. Still, this is solid casting, in my opinion. The real devil will be in the writing and the overall management of the show across a season -- something with which Moffat was...an uneven hand.

I kind of bet they'll keep this sonic since we've only seen it for one season. Maybe introduce a few more colours as seen in the concepts.

Anyway, all the interviews I've read with Chibnall really solidify the feeling Peter was not necessarily forced, but pushed, to leave the show. Which makes me sad, he's a doctor that definitely could've gone on twice the time he had. But of course they needed an attention grab to get the ratings up.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back