Before I begin my AHN build, is my graflex vintage?

That's totally the original rivet... Looks like they tried to screw it out or back in and since the rivets are mushroomed to hold them in, the ad-hoc slot means they twisted it in with force and the bugled portion threaded itself going back in.

ANY screw has concentric threads... even hand tapped ones. Those look to ME just like what I described above. The Original rivet... modified to be put back in.

That's totally the original rivet... Looks like they tried to screw it out or back in and since the rivets are mushroomed to hold them in, the ad-hoc slot means they twisted it in with force and the bugled portion threaded itself going back in.

ANY screw has concentric threads... even hand tapped ones. Those look to ME just like what I described above. The Original rivet... modified to be put back in.

Perhaps they had to remove the rivet, to remove the bunny ears, to get in and clean the contacts or do something else. It really doesn't look like the parks screw to me. The threading is tighter and goes a little farther up the shaft of the parks. I don't have the expertise you do but it very well may be the original rivet. Figuring out this rivet thing is like some sort of graflex history deep dive, trying to figure out how and why it was removed and explaining the condition it is in today based on what it went through in the past.... I think I went a little too deep....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome to know though! I'm glad I shared my flex on the rpf. I've learned so much!

At this point i agree. Each and every part is for sure vintage.

But on the other hand at this point I would say the same just to make you happy and to stop you question each and every part again and again. :D

At this point i agree. Each and every part is for sure vintage.

But on the other hand at this point I would say the same just to make you happy and to stop you question each and every part again and again. :D

I appreciate that, but I didn't come here to be told things that would make me happy. I came here to get questions answered by professionals and people more knowledgeable than myself. Thank you for everything you've contributed Lichtbringer. It's been awesome!

I'm ordering the rest of my parts and will be posting the build pictures early next month. Until that point I have one more question. What is the best way to clean and preserve my graflex? I have a stack of unused micro fiber clothes and some polishes. I don't want to take any of the weathering off. I just want to clean the gunk out of it and on the surface and stop any further spreading of the rust if possible. Can anyone please give suggestions or how they cleaned or maintain their vintage flash guns? Thank you!

I personally wouldn't use any polishes or cleaners on it. You've got a beautiful flash. Use a soft cloth or Q-Tips to clean up some of the gunk if you want. I wouldn't worry about the rust unless you like to store it in a bucket of water or something.

I personally wouldn't use any polishes or cleaners on it. You've got a beautiful flash. Use a soft cloth or Q-Tips to clean up some of the gunk if you want. I wouldn't worry about the rust unless you like to store it in a bucket of water or something.

Sounds good! Thanks!

Q-tips and WD- 40 would be a good rust inhibitor once you've de-gunked it. I also have seen where others have used flat clear coat from a spray can. Those folks reported that it stopped the rust process in its tracks.

Q-tips and WD- 40 would be a good rust inhibitor once you've de-gunked it. I also have seen where others have used flat clear coat from a spray can. Those folks reported that it stopped the rust process in its tracks.

Thanks for the tips! And all the supplies are things readily available. I read some good information on the FX sabers forum too. Basically what everyone is saying is just make sure not to over do it. Which I'm not planning on doing. I really love it in the natural weathered shape it's in. I just want to inhibit the small amount of rust from spreading.

If this Graflex isn't actual vintage, it has the most impressive subdued weathering I've seen. Ever.

That's what I was thinking! After lots of research and getting several heavy hitters to take a look and make an assessment, I'm 100% sure it's vintage. I'm excited to receive my parts so I can post my build!

Every time I see these threads I want to do a Graflex build.

I was lucky to pick one up from a member here a few years ago (for under $200. The new movies hadn't started yet).

But I just can't bring myself to damage an original. I love to just look at it "naked". Lol

Sadly, I'll probably never get another real one :(

I was lucky to pick one up from a member here a few years ago (for under $200. The new movies hadn't started yet).

But I just can't bring myself to damage an original. I love to just look at it "naked". Lol

The new movies aren't helping the prices at all. Everywhere I look they have skyrocketed. That's awesome you only had to shell out 200 though. I'm glad you are enjoying the thread! I've learned so much from everyone on the RPF. Can't wait to put mine together. Waiting on parts and my next paycheck. I have all the tools I will need besides a rivet gun, but they aren't that expensive thankfully.

i think this graflex will make a PERFECT ESB replica! i love the condition it is in, and if it were me wouldn't clean it up at all

great looking flash! :thumbsup

If you REALLY wanted to you could buy a wannawanga kit and just use some double sided tape to temporarily instal the T-tracks and bubble strip. It would work well enough for just displaying, and could easily be removed.

Does anybody have any leads on where I might be able to pick up an exactra 19/20? Also, what kind of account do I need in order to sell and purchase things on the junkyard, thanks!

Don't forget paste wax! Johnsons, Liberon or Renaissance wax! They have to be reapllied like every year or two but you should check at your props more often than that anyway.

I feel the wax options are gentler to the old equipment and almost feel like theyre not there after buffing. rattle can will sure work, but you'll always be able to tell.

Don't forget paste wax! Johnsons, Liberon or Renaissance wax! They have to be reapllied like every year or two but you should check at your props more often than that anyway.

I feel the wax options are gentler to the old equipment and almost feel like theyre not there after buffing. rattle can will sure work, but you'll always be able to tell.

For polishing?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back