The Orville Props

Ill see if I can get some pics of the real prop for reference.
Someone close to me works on the set.
;-)

That would be fantastic, if they are able to get some basic height, width and thickness measurements too that would be brilliant.

Thanks for the offer of help.

I love how the Comm-Scanner is so reminiscent of the Starfleet scanner from Star Trek Enterprise, with it's similar compact design and pop-up action.

Given the dimensions of the Comm Scanner it's safe to say the pop-up section is just a white LED backlit panel and the button panel in the centre of the prop is also CG anytime there is a motion graphic.

Seth+MacFarlane's+Trailer+For+THE+ORVILLE+is+Here+and+It+Really+is+Out+of+This+World!-social.jpgog.jpg

Jim

Attachments

• Seth+MacFarlane's+Trailer+For+THE+ORVILLE+is+Here+and+It+Really+is+Out+of+This+World!-social.jpg
    Seth+MacFarlane's+Trailer+For+THE+ORVILLE+is+Here+and+It+Really+is+Out+of+This+World!-social.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
So, it is most likely that the screen and button graphics are CGI images using blue screen, in the show.

On a prop replica, the simplest thing would be to use back lit gels that could easily be changed out.

Since the pop up portion looks to be "bottom" lit acrylic, the ''button graphic'' portion could be back lit using a flat
led panel I showed in a different thread.
This would allow the pop up to have room behind the backlight when pushed in.

If there are more then one prop which are static (no moving parts), then one could be made open all the time
with lighting and animated graphics and the other could just be closed for the Comm usage.
Maybe a third could be a pop-up/no graphics, but with pop up action and reset.

Did someone post that they can get pictures and dimensions from an actual prop(s) used in the episodes?
That would save a lot of effort. :)

Last edited:
Was looking for anyone who might have started making these props, and came across these pics of the PM-44 Plasma Pistol that the propmaster had on display for a tour of the sets:

Orville Phaser 2.jpg

orvillephaser9.JPG

Orville Phaser 3.jpg

Orville Phaser 1.jpg

Hope that might help some folks out a little.

There's also some folks who are 3D printing the thing from the visual media, but haven't found any free model files or shops selling finished copies yet.

I'm working on the PM-44 pistol. It's coming along pretty nicely, though it seems a bit small and the grip/trigger arrangement a little too compressed. I'll finish this up and update my 3D file soon.

2421a6e6009f4e0db41abfec4fc372803299ffd8.JPG

I'm working on the costumes. I found a pattern to use for the tops that won't take much modification at all. Kwik Sew 4032 is for a fleece jacket, but it already has the blocking in the pattern for the various colors of the uniform (gray collar and shoulders, main color front and back, and black sides). All you need to do is trim it in for a better fit, leave out the pockets, and add piping and the shoulder ranks. I'm planning on making the ranks from EVA and securing them with a thin, strong grip velcro. The bottoms appear to be a simple slacks pattern with thin piping matching the color block of the upper uniform.

I have tried contacting the costume designer through his agent to get information on what the mesh-like color pieces of the uniforms are made of, but while the agent responded quickly (and positively) and promised to forward my email, I have not yet heard back from Porro himself. Since it's been over a month, I'm not optimistic that I'll actually hear back from him.

So, if anyone can identify the textured mesh that the costumes are made of, I would LOVE to be able to get ahold of some. I've searched all the meshes I can find on the internet, but they don't have the right mix of horizontal lines and hole pattern.

Here's a real high res pic of one of the uniforms that really captures the odd mesh. https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-.../08/or-s1_07-peter-hallway_1110_R1_hires1.jpg

Im curious to know if they are purposely "repurposing" items simply for the sake of it, not for budget constraints? The glue gun, the racing seat office chairs, and a few other items were blatantly (and comically) obvious. The Pm44 pistol looks like bashed found items as well but hard to say for sure. When I first saw that I was like "is that a vacuum, or refrigerator handle?" LOL

One of the two halves of the update Comm Scanner 3D model are on their way to the 3D printer!

I prototyped the design in thick card-stock before I committed to sending this to the 3D printer.
CAD rendering is great but you can't beat a handmade model to hold in your hands to get a real feel for a prop.

I'll be working on the spring loaded pop-up mechanism and internal lighting.
I'm thinking a colour print on transparency will be a great way to render the pop-up screen.
As for the "touch-screen" centre panel I think that too will be a static graphic with a matt clear vinyl protective layer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Orville Props - scanner

Just checking to see if there is any more developments on the scanner/comm. prop? :)
I wonder if a small bluetooth device could be put into this to make it work with the phone? (just thinking out loud).

Just checking to see if there is any more developments on the scanner/comm. prop? :)
I wonder if a small bluetooth device could be put into this to make it work with the phone? (just thinking out loud).

I'm expecting my prototypes in the next few days, I will post an update when they arrive.

So, if anyone can identify the textured mesh that the costumes are made of, I would LOVE to be able to get ahold of some. I've searched all the meshes I can find on the internet, but they don't have the right mix of horizontal lines and hole pattern.

There's a video from a "Talks at Google" with some of the Orville crew, and in that Porro talks about how the uniforms are made out of sneaker material they custom ordered... it's about 13:12 into this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Funderbunk, that is an amazing reference. Nothing like getting it straight from the designer's mouth. Thank you!

Custom-made in China? Damn. But at least I know now why I haven't been able to find it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back