ID and catalogue Vintage Flash Units for Lightsabers

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We all know Heiland's work great for when you don't have an MPP handy. But there are other higher quality flashes out there that work great for stand-in parts and full sized custom sabers that feel "real" in a way that sink pipe doesn't. I'd like to make a list and discuss flashes in general :) Maybe someday lurkers will not have to dredge posts for that one unit.

The ones we know were used, in some regard.

Graflex (USA)
Graphlite
Micro-Precision Products (UK)
Kobold (Germany)
Heiland Strobonar

Neat quality flash units that work great for Customs and replacement parts

Canon X - 3 cell, full unit, bayonet lock like Graflex and solid "clamp"
Canon Y - 2 cell, Upper unit, Bayonet lock, solid "clamp"
De-Mornay Budd - 3 cell, brass body, clamp with lever like MPP, but riveted together
Busch - Attractive black bulb release
Peak - similar to Heiland, similar black "red button"

**New**
Luston (Germany) - 2 cell, folded sheet metal clamp like Graflex! Solid sidebars and a thumbscrew keep it together. Still as small as an MPP clamp. Solid, ringed, knurled endcap il_570xN.893062490_brh6.jpg

This flash unit has yet to be IDed
IMG_1611.JPGIMG_1612.JPGIMG_1616.JPG
What other things have you guys picked up?

Last edited:
Yes to the Peak's! I'm going to add photos over time from me and from google too

Many of these have a tripod mount hole in the bottom (1/4 20 or 3/8 16) and there are thumbscrews with embedded D rings that screw right on! it makes for a very clean D ring addition.

Oh man--- I haven't got my hands on a DMB or Peak yet but I am DYING too.

I was just telling Scott how I LOVE finding weirdo off-brand flashes for custom sabers. I'm adding the Luston to my wishlist for sure. Most of my custom sabers have been off brands.

There's tons of Heiland knock-offs (Raineer, Life, Nova) that work great. There's also some cooler ones. Here's most of mine:

customs.jpg

Left to right that's an Ikon c-cell, a Minicam C-Cell, a King Sol, a 2 cell Agfa merged with a two cell Raineer, a Canon Mk3 BC with a Graflite extension, a Canon Y, a Kalart hex-shaped flash with a generic name I don't remember, and an Ikon I haven't had the guts to drill/tap holes into yet.

Hi there

I'm new to the rpf as I have been wanting to get into making my own custom light sabers. I'm from England and teach design technology in a secondary school (high school) want to up my electronics skills and I'm a Star Wars fan, no brainier!
I was wondering where you obtain the u channel steel for your grips? love the way it looks and could be used either way up.
Are they just something acquired over the years or are they from somewhere like custom sabers ?

Thanks
Kneetu

For grips you can go a lot of ways.

--wannwanga.com and thecustomsabershop.com have reproductions of the t-track used on the original movie sabers.

--shapeways.com and other 3D printing services have plastic versions of these grips you can order.

--some of use simple aluminum bar which you can find at any hardware store in a variety of widths that can be cut into any lengths

-- the u-channel grips are the secret weapon of @ScottD and he was gracious enough to share. They are Ingersoll Rand spring channels.

A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about some other countries that might have flashes like this that we haven't looked at. So I figure Russia probably had similar ones that weren't available until the last 20 years. Well as far as I can tell they didn't have flashes like these. I would have thought they would though.

Oh man this thread just reminded me I still want to find one of those 3 cell Canon flashes. I've only ever seen one of them.

The two and three cells are actually identical. Like the graftex the top has all the goods and the bottom varies depending on how many batteries you want in it.

Not the one I saw. It had a top that resembled a Graflex flash. My Y unit has nothing like that.

I would love to see a new Lightsaber in the movies made from a flash like this. Probably won't happen but it would be great if it did.

Not the one I saw. It had a top that resembled a Graflex flash. My Y unit has nothing like that.

Pretty much all of us have added that bit, it's actually part of the reflector pan, where you adjust subject distance. It pops right off.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back