Looking for MPP style shroud for Vader saber

It's interesting to see indeed the rust spots on the screen used MPP. My shroud was indeed machined aluminium, and it was based on a real MPP (the MPP from Chaim / @Sym-Cha). Not only its measurements, but judging from the weight, also the material. Which leads me to believe, that the shrouds used on the MPP's might have been changed over the years in production; both a lighter aluminium casting and a steel version exist. I also noticed some difference in the wall thickness of the angled cylindrical part. Some are thinner than others.

But indeed did I discontinue the shrouds, but perhaps it's about time to do a limited run of around 50 pieces and ask someone's help in wrinkle coating and US distribution.

Roy

I caught that uneveness as well. I just chalked it up to the machining level of the day, but i did double checks to make sure. I even was able to spot some of that on photos of MPP's on line as well.

As to other parts. I'm heading that way. I have nearly all prequel sabers built up from back in the dead - and they should be pretty much all be dead on. One I don't have is the Yoda. I'm still willing to make the parts, i'd just need photos of the parts in order to do it. Or the parts themselves if someone has them.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be willing to finish my own if possible. Have you considered just selling them unfinished. As far as a US distributer goes I'm sure there is someone you can trust that will step up.

Not that he knows me well, but if you need someone to run to the post office, i have one 2 blocks from here so i'd be willing to pitch in.

- - - Updated - - -

black plastic. Im curious about applying some metallic crackle paint.

I was wondering how their material would look. I know their black has a texture to it. Looks really nice on that shroud!

It's interesting to see indeed the rust spots on the screen used MPP. My shroud was indeed machined aluminium, and it was based on a real MPP (the MPP from Chaim / @Sym-Cha). Not only its measurements, but judging from the weight, also the material. Which leads me to believe, that the shrouds used on the MPP's might have been changed over the years in production; both a lighter aluminium casting and a steel version exist. I also noticed some difference in the wall thickness of the angled cylindrical part. Some are thinner than others.

But indeed did I discontinue the shrouds, but perhaps it's about time to do a limited run of around 50 pieces and ask someone's help in wrinkle coating and US distribution.

Roy

I would be happy with an unpainted shroud, I'll take care of the wrinkle paint on my own. Please do another run.

If you're willing to make more parts, I would think the bulb holder can be a good one.

Was toying with the idea of the clamp actually :)

The bulb holder isn't bad either, just not sure how to remove it, or if i want to remove it to measure it :)

As for the shroud and materials, my first saber was an icons vader. Their shroud was plastic :)

I've been thinking about the printed shroud and came across this product http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=42&category=6

"The Metal Coatings are ground metal suspended in a non-toxic water based acrylic binder. They may be applied to both metal and non-metal surfaces such as glass, wood, ceramics, concrete, foam, and resin." Seems like it might be a nice way to get an iron/metal look to the printed piece.

As for the shroud and materials, my first saber was an icons vader. Their shroud was plastic :)

Thanks for putting up unpolished metallic plastic - just ordered and am looking forward to finishing it black. Hoping it has a little more weight behind just a regular plastic part.

I'm interested to see photos of a real printed item with that material.The shots i've seen make it look like it has a texture, but it'd defeat the purpose or precision printing..

I'm interested to see photos of a real printed item with that material.The shots i've seen make it look like it has a texture, but it'd defeat the purpose or precision printing..
I've read that it comes out "smoother than the strong and flexible - but I'll do some shots when it comes (not on a white background which makes it hard to see)
Texture isn't too big of a deal since I'll want to try to get some sort of wrinkle finish.

Holy cow cboath - this is gorgeous. Almost completely undetectable print lines, and only 5g less than the original Heiland
P1190713.JPGP1190714.JPG

If Roy does another run I'll have this shroud for sale haha - in the meantime, I need to refit the retention screw and paint it black; people have used rubber washers in lieu of the replica MPP clamp to imitate the inner sheath, right?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back