Pep file Doctor Doom

cunningham

Hello,

After seeing some amazing Doom helmets here I decided to give it a shot with a Pepekura version by BSD. I finished the last coats of Bondo and primed it, but before I mold it or not, I need some critique on the overall look. My wife thought the expression evoked pity, rather than looking menacing - which obviously isn't the look I'm going for. Does anyone have any ideas or tweaks that I could do to make it more grim looking? Or is she dead wrong? (I am hoping she is)
Thanks!

2.jpg3.jpgIMG_1526.JPGUntitled-1.jpg

Looks pretty sick to me! And the expression is definitely menacing imo. Just needs a good detailing, some weathering to make it look metal maybe, but otherwise It looks amazing!

I can see it from her side, there are a few tweaks that could make him look a bit scarier...

Pulling the eye openings a bit closer together would make him look more focused...

5ZJFjdl.jpg

The brows down a bit for a little anger...

QFRDFi5.jpg

Corners of the mouth angled for a slight snarl...

QQZOeC0.jpg

And the before:

XXbV11E.jpg

Though I think the painted, finished helmet will look awesome without any tweaks

Wow, thanks for the visuals! I think I like all three of your suggestions. The furrowed brow really does make it look angrier, and I think you got it spot on with the snarly mouth. It shouldn't be a big deal to tweak those spots up, thanks a million RoboTrap.

I agree with Lord Magneto it will look solid once the mouth is done.... may I recommend that you really think about it though.... what I mean is after looking around the net at other masks i see that some just went ahead with others have done in the past, which is fine and some have just thrown whatever to fill up the space... maybe something like plate armor look coming together kinda like the sides of iron man's mouth helmets like mark 3,4,5,6 I mean there is suppose to be teeth so ya know why not.. also the open sides i would put maybe something that looks like pistons or pipes or chain maille or scale maille... I am kinda working on my own right now and have been thinking about this stuff...the finishing touches can really make the difference.. i hope that helped... later Joe Pep......

I was thinking of adding chain mail or maybe even a mesh screen , like you would put behind the teeth in a stormtrooper helmet. The piston greeble thing is kind of more along the line of the movie version helmet, which looks cool, but not old school. I like this pep version as it is faithful to the comic book. A big thank you to the maker of this pep file by the way.

The chain mail is actually a very cool idea... and it will look cool... might i recommend some anodized aluminum and use very small rings. the gauge of the rings will depend on you.. if you are not sure about what size to use go to the ring lord and look at there ring chart... you can order from them what you need.. if you are strapped for cash, or want to do it all from scratch go get you wire at a hardware store and you can learn how to do chainmailling if you do not already know from you tube.... good luck and hope this helps...

The chain mail is actually a very cool idea... and it will look cool... might i recommend some anodized aluminum and use very small rings. the gauge of the rings will depend on you.. if you are not sure about what size to use go to the ring lord and look at there ring chart... you can order from them what you need.. if you are strapped for cash, or want to do it all from scratch go get you wire at a hardware store and you can learn how to do chainmailling if you do not already know from you tube.... good luck and hope this helps...

Yes, that is the route I'm taking - thanks for the idea. That will make it more medieval looking for sure. I'm checking out that ring lord as I type.

Well with the light of day and a nice coat of gun metal, the flaws sure pop out! Anyways, here is a few pics of the side and mouth spaces and how I tried to fill them. I used an armature screen mesh, the kind you get at an art store for a sculpture base. The pattern is a diamond shape, but a little large and won't hide my face near enough for my liking. But doubled up, one pattern turned sideways, they make a nice geometric pattern that is quite tight. I bought some chain circles and plan to try that as well.

front.jpgfront2.jpgside.jpgIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1530.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back