ROTJ Solo Blaster Showoff & Questions

mgoob

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently built a replica as a cross between the 1 scope ring and Stembridge version of this blaster.
Brass shined up so it can reflect as much light as we see in the bunker shootout, and weathered like the former version.

Until someone makes accurate parts for the Stembridge using white Delrin, aluminum and brass, I’ll keep it this way. (see Propstore parts & PIH replica)
The closet Stembridge version I’ve seen was built by OdiWan72, although kurtyboy may have made one too.
I’ve enough parts to build the 2 scope ring version next.

PARTS:

• MGC w/ no markings, tight action.
  • @bobadebt brass, aluminum and Delrin parts
  • modified scope bell using Bushmaster 4x32
  • front scope tip ground off and replaced w/ custom machined brass replacement, resin insert
  • scope rail replaced w/ one that allowed the dovetail to line up more evenly w/ the top of the bracket

NOTES:
The flash hider is a model that has the grooves of the 2 scope rings version with squares seen on the 1 scope ring version.
The Stembridge flash hider should be an aluminum version of the 1 scope ring version, IMHO.
The rubber foot is a modern version, it should have a logarithmic curve. Surely this can be created by someone for high resolution printout via Shapeways…

QUESTIONS:
  • is this a photo of a screen used prop? I think it might be as the seamline is what we see on the good photos of the ROTJ E-11.
DL-44 blaster ROTJ replica?.jpg

• which blaster is this from? I think it's from the 1 scope ring due to the number of grooves, but the squares look short.
DL-44 blaster ROTJ which one?.jpg

P1141622.JPGP1141623.JPGP1141624.JPGP1141629.JPG

Nomenclature used in the post:

DL-44 blaster ROTJ collage.png

P1141622.JPG

P1141623.JPG

P1141624.JPG

P1141629.JPG

DL-44 blaster ROTJ replica?.jpg

DL-44 blaster ROTJ which one?.jpg

DL-44 blaster ROTJ collage.png

Last edited by a moderator:
beautiful work! this is on my to-do list someday.

As far as I know, the scope cup is hollow with a seam-line like you noted. Very curious as to its origins..

I think you're correct on the stembridge one.

The cropped picture you are referring does not show the screenused Stembridge, but a reproduction..see here (picture courtesy of kurtyboy, maybe it´s even his blaster?):

rotj_original.jpg

Here´s mine...it´s ok, but not accurate

stembridgeOdiWan72.jpg

You are correct as I found some misplaced photos.

In 2007 Propstore auctioned off some extra parts, which were then added to a MGC in a commissioned build. That build was auctioned off in 2008 by Profiles in History, seen in catalog 31.

A member here did the rebuild and confirmed that Delrin was used to make some of the parts, and brass the others.
If you look at the framegrabs, there are no milled areas on the left side above the trigger, and the piston halves must have glued on as there are no holes in them. Furthermore it makes sense that the rubber foot was omitted as one needs to put a shim under it to make it level with the magazine (morel likely to fall off). It seems, like the ANH hero, they must have either tac-welded two rods to secure the scope bracket or they did drill into the side to attach it. IMO the former seems more likely as the action of the pistol wouldn't be affected and the weld would then have been easier to knock off/ clean up.

blaster DL-44 ROTJ Stembridge rebuild PIH 31 100.jpgblaster DL-44 ROTJ Stembridge rebuild PIH 31 108a.pngblaster DL-44 ROTJ Stembridge rebuild PIH 31 110a.jpg

man it's been awhile since I've seen that photo. Never noticed - the top two cylinders seem to be what we see on the outside of the scope mount posts. Did they cast the washer/welded post head or did they glue this cylinder onto the bracket and the welded post came around some other way?

Perhaps the round, brass parts that are on the outside of the scope bracket act like a nut and tighten down on posts attached to the pistol.

The rubber foot is a modern version, it should have a logarithmic curve. Surely this can be created by someone for high resolution printout via Shapeways…

Like this?
388cc99f44f745f4e5b6b942c11e3d21.jpg
7c375ac6784a0c04dabbbe5138fffd63.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V8G87KSSX/right-middle-greeblie?optionId=64641645

This ENDOR blaster has grown on me more and more over the years. I’ve yet to deep dive into it like the HOTH or HERO. It’s fascinating to see all the OT DL-44’s variations. These are some of the pics I looked at the most when trying to recreate it..
77fe2f42327657d134065151d01c5092.jpg
4fee242245211aa7cee08ce7c1f86b67.jpg

Does this FH appear on screen?
d87e406126eaa680f0d50dcd6218cba5.jpg

Oh and this might be of some interest. I couldn’t find this weaver as it’s long out of production so I just recreated it..
90c9e31ec1c358d3fa2cc501f84c3834.jpg

Re: ROTJ Solo Blaster Showoff & Questions

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V8G87KSSX/right-middle-greeblie?optionId=64641645

Yes! Just ordered two. Thanks!

Yes, in aluminum on the Stembridge version. The two are the same, IMO.

AFAIK we only see the Stembridge used. The others were used as holster stuffers or publicity.
I'm not 100% certain​, but that is my take on the matter.

Yes! Just ordered two. Thanks!

Yes, in aluminum on the Stembridge version. The two are the same, IMO.

AFAIK we only see the Stembridge used. The others were used as holster stuffers or publicity.
I'm not 100% certain​, but that is my take on the matter.

I don’t think these two FH are the same though? If u notice where I circled they are different no??

07a91e10255fbaa74711daed76d4743c.jpg

Re: ROTJ Solo Blaster Showoff & Questions

I don’t think these two FH are the same though? If u notice where I circled they are different no??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180126/07a91e10255fbaa74711daed76d4743c.jpg

That's a comparison between the Stembridge and the double scope ring blaster.

This is a comparison between Stembridge and single scope ring blaster, which look very close to me.
Note the number of grooves and the width of the blocks at the rear.

blaster DL-44 ROTJ Stembridge & single scope ring.png

My bad. I thought u were saying those two were the same. Also thanks for grabbing a couple of those greeblies. Hopefully they work out ok [emoji106]

Last edited:
Very Nice!! :cool

I am probably late to the party on this one but I have not seen this discussed elsewhere... when I was building my ROTJ DL-44 I watched my blue ray of ROTJ taking screen captures of the movie where the DL-44 appeared to use as reference for my build... when I was doing this I noticed a scene where Han Solo was picking up his blaster from the ground after being rescued by the ewoks from the storm troopers and there are clearly two DL-44s on the ground as he picks one up... No other character had the same DL-44 blaster in the scene so I was thinking maybe the prop team placed two props down on the ground by accident or one was the one the storm trooper dropped and the other was for Han Solo to pick up and it somehow made it in the film by mistake? Just thought this was strange... Any thoughts? <see photo below>

Captsdure.JPG

Very Nice!! :cool

I am probably late to the party on this one but I have not seen this discussed elsewhere... when I was building my ROTJ DL-44 I watched my blue ray of ROTJ taking screen captures of the movie where the DL-44 appeared to use as reference for my build... when I was doing this I noticed a scene where Han Solo was picking up his blaster from the ground after being rescued by the ewoks from the storm troopers and there are clearly two DL-44s on the ground as he picks one up... No other character had the same DL-44 blaster in the scene so I was thinking maybe the prop team placed two props down on the ground by accident or one was the one the storm trooper dropped and the other was for Han Solo to pick up and it somehow made it in the film by mistake? Just thought this was strange... Any thoughts? <see photo below>

View attachment 790267

I saw this too! I think I posed about it somewhere on here.. it's a great easter egg. I think these are both MGCs they had and I can imagine when setting up the scene, they placed a bunch of guns on the ground to make it look battle strewn. Maybe to make the stunt easier they put both MGCs down and told him to pick whichever was closest/easiest to grab after tossing that trooper :lol

I've not heard of that until now!

It seems there was a MGC w/o painted grips, which is interesting as we only see photos of the ones w/ painted grips.
Alternatively, it could be the Stembridge, which had brown grips.

I saw this too! I think I posed about it somewhere on here.. it's a great easter egg. I think these are both MGCs they had and I can imagine when setting up the scene, they placed a bunch of guns on the ground to make it look battle strewn. Maybe to make the stunt easier they put both MGCs down and told him to pick whichever was closest/easiest to grab after tossing that trooper :lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back