Star Trek: Picard

I'm not a huge Trek guy (as a franchise) but I loved TNG, they were always showing re-runs on the old Sci-Fi channel when I was a kid and it was one of the many shows I grew up watching that cultivated my love of science fiction in general. So that being said i'm a bit conflicted over this news, he's getting on in years and his age has been discussed already but I think it could be made to work with the right script and the right people involved to handle the character, but outside of Mr. Stewart himself.... that doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

What's more, I hated the TNG movies and I think they completely ruined his character by trying to make the quiet, rational, intelligent Captain Picard into a loud, angry, violent action hero who makes split-second emotional decisions and rebels from Starfleet at the drop of a hat. I prefer to think those movies just don't exist and i'm not really looking forward to a chronological continuation of his character in those films, regardless of his age.

What's more, I hated the TNG movies and I think they completely ruined his character by trying to make the quiet, rational, intelligent Captain Picard into a loud, angry, violent action hero who makes split-second emotional decisions and rebels from Starfleet at the drop of a hat.

Bad news -- that was Patrick's input/request. He wanted a turn at being an action hero, rather than the elder statesman he'd spent the entire series being. Hoping he's in a different headspace these days.

I hope so, I mean look at his Walter Blunt character he portrayed! :lol

Not that it will matter for this doomed Project

Bad news -- that was Patrick's input/request. He wanted a turn at being an action hero, rather than the elder statesman he'd spent the entire series being. Hoping he's in a different headspace these days.

Yeah... I remember seeing some kind of featurette where he was super excited about driving those ATV's around, I forget which movie that was in. The whole thing came off as bizarre and incredibly out of character.

...The argument always gets bogged down in minutiae I don't have the time to wade into, but the Enterprise-verse is the JJ-verse, not the history of the Prime timeline, "These Are the Voyages" notwithstanding. I can accept the quad-plex state of reality one of the theoretical models of the universe posits, with Prime, Mirror, Enterprise/JJ, and their Mirror as the for states: Positive Material, Negative Material, Positive Antimaterial, and Negative Antimaterial. Nearly everything fits that model. The only potential problem is it relies on Our Heroes meddling in First Contact (unwittingly in the Negative Material version of reality), and inadvertantly setting the Enterprise/JJ version of Cochrane on an accelerated development path, where Human tech is about a hundred years ahead of where it was in the Prime timeline by the time of the Founding of the Federation, by the rough time period of TOS...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Between the spinoffs and the movies, at this point in the Star Trek universe the only series that doesn't fit in is the one that started it all--the Original Series. And sometimes I'm almost convinced that each "set" of Trek projects--the original series and the movies featuring the original cast, Next Generation and the movies featuring the Next Generation cast, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, the JJ Abrams movies, and Discovery--all take place in completely separate timelines and/or universes all their own, and each one has no actual direct connection to any of the other "sets".

Yeah... I remember seeing some kind of featurette where he was super excited about driving those ATV's around, I forget which movie that was in. The whole thing came off as bizarre and incredibly out of character.

Nemesis. Stewart actually had them rewrite the script to include that scene! He went to the writers and said he wanted a dune buggy sequence, and didn't care how they fit it in. And the season 4 TNG episode where he takes a vacation to Risa was because he went to the show's writers and demanded Picard get laid, as he was the only person in the main cast (aside from poor Geordi) who hadn't had a romantic storyline in the show yet.

I lost interest when his statement contained a political vibe with is "comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times" comment

Yeah it's code for the usual Hollywood "Trump bad" more than likely. Putting the political spin aside.
Doing too much of that severely dates anything they do and alienates some fans.
I hope they just stick to general Star Trek optimisms and intelligence because that is always needed.
IF it's a special flavor to "resist" a current politician they didn't vote for and hijack Trek. That is well beneath Trek and there is plenty
of places to find that coming from Hollywood anyways.

I've never realized that there was such a dichotomy between Picard on the show and Picard in the movies. He really does seem like a typical action hero throughout most of First Contact but I think it organically made sense for that film. That action hero persona was always more Kirk then Picard though. Which was no doubt a major reason why they made Picard an elder statesman to begin with as you said.

I've never realized that there was such a dichotomy between Picard on the show and Picard in the movies. He really does seem like a typical action hero throughout most of First Contact but I think it organically made sense for that film. That action hero persona was always more Kirk then Picard though. Which was no doubt a major reason why they made Picard an elder statesman to begin with as you said.

In the original script for First Contact it was supposed to be Riker on the ship and Picard down on the planet but Stewart wanted to be the big hero and it was re-written. I think it worked well so I'm not too disappointed in it but after that everything was about Picard.

In the original script for First Contact it was supposed to be Riker on the ship and Picard down on the planet but Stewart wanted to be the big hero and it was re-written. I think it worked well so I'm not too disappointed in it but after that everything was about Picard.
That's interesting because Riker was definitely the Kirk of TNG so it makes sense if he was originally going to be the physical action star of the film. Not to mention Frakes himself was directing it. I think it was a good choice to make it Picard on the Enterprise instead, he is the captain after all.

Given his archeology passion, I'm now picturing Picard as sort of a space Indiana Jones, but far less physical of course,
and with his team of young explorers going after things that Starfleet wouldn't normally bother with. He would have far more freedoms to explore his way. And you can preserve the boldly go, exploration aspect of Trek very easily with this scenario.

There are similarities I suppose, probably intended, Riker filled a Kirk-like box as far as star fleet officer goes,
but Riker was always more puffed out chest than Kirk, Kirk was more contemplative.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back