Solo: A Star Wars Story

what about me Wook? how do i rank on your SWIQ?

Lol...well, I don't wanna get in the habit of "ranking" or "rating" the SWIQs of my brethren here at the RPF. Because what happens if someone who I deem to have a low SWIQ asks me to assess their SWIQ? I'm not gonna lie to them. But I also don't want to be hurtful. The only member I ever flat out said had a low SWIQ was @Bryancd. And I did so, because when I was introducing SWIQ to the forum, I needed one member to use as an example, and Bryan was the perfect choice. Why? Two reasons. One, because I knew Bryan had thick skin, and wouldn't be offended by it. He's confident he has a high SWIQ, and that's fantastic. He's wrong, but it's fantastic that he thinks that. Everyone should. And two, because it would come as no surprise to anyone here that I disagree with him frequently on what should and should not be in a SW movie--which is really the essence of SWIQ.

Also, as you know, there is no numerical scale for SWIQ...but rather, it's a "high", "medium", "low" type of measurement. But since you asked, I will say this much, about valuing the SWIQs of members here. If I agree with a member frequently on Star Wars matters--particularly with respect to what things should and should not be in a Star Wars movie--then I think that member has a high SWIQ. Naturally, if I disagree with a member frequently, then I would not rate it very highly.

As for you personally, halliwax, if you really want me to rate yours, go ahead and reply here with a your brief takes on the 9 Star Wars films. Rank them best to worst, and give me a sentence or two on what you think about each one, and why you love, like, dislike or hate it. From that, I can pretty safely rate your SWIQ.

But make sure to qualify things, just to be perfectly clear. For instance, if you rate ROTJ as your favorite film, you gotta let me know *when* you saw it. Because if you saw each of the three OT films in the theater, in order, and ROTJ is your favorite, well, that's gonna really sink your rating. However, if you were born in '78, and ROTJ was the first SW film you ever saw, then I'm not gonna dock you as many SWIQ points, because I fully get the nostalgia effect of it being your first introduction to Star Wars. Now, don't get me wrong. You're SWIQ is still gonna fall with your selection of ROTJ as your favorite SW film. Because it's not even close to ANH and ESB. lol Unless, of course, you said something like the following: "ROTJ is the first SW film I saw, and for that reason I still rate is as my favorite. But, objectively speaking, I understand it is not on the masterpiece level of ANH and ESB.". So you've got to be clear in what you're saying, lest someone assessing your SWIQ--be it me, or anyone else--may misjudge it.

Depending on what you write, I will be able to assess your SWIQ pretty accurately. But it's possible you will provide answers that would require me to drill down further with you, to get an accurate reading of your SWIQ. Just to give you one extreme example, let's say I meet a guy on the street and he has a Star Wars t-shirt on. So we strike up a quick convo about our shared passion, and he says he hated TLJ. I reply, "Riiiiight?!". But it would be a mistake for me to give him a high SWIQ based just on that comment, because later in the convo I find out he hated it because he loved TFA, and was furious that TLJ completely ignored all the great narratives JJ had set into motion in Episode 7. Oh, and that transgression overwhelmed the good stuff in TLJ, such as his bold and welcomed choice of putting Luke's failures and frailties on full display. So, hearing that, I'd have to seriously downgrade his SWIQ, because I don't like TFA and I hated Ruin's treatment of Luke.

So, my point is, depending on what you write, it's possible I would have to grill you further about Star Wars, and what's made each of the movies good or what's made them bad. (I'm not gonna do that, but I'm just sayin' it's possible more information would be needed.) This is why I say about the GOT guys, or Favreau, that I'd need up to an hour+ with each of them, to accurately assess their SWIQs, because SWIQ can be nuanced and a person's comments can be deceiving. I'd prefer the meetings be in a pub, so that alcohol could aid in revealing their true Star Wars Intelligence Quotients.

The Wook

Last edited:
Lol...well, I don't wanna get in the habit of "ranking" or "rating" the SWIQs of my brethren here at the RPF. Because what happens if someone who I deem to have a low SWIQ asks me to assess their SWIQ? I'm not gonna lie to them. But I also don't want to be hurtful. The only member I ever flat out said had a low SWIQ was @Bryancd. And I did so, because when I was introducing SWIQ to the forum, I needed one member to use as an example, and Bryan was the perfect choice. Why? Two reasons. One, because I knew Bryan had thick skin, and wouldn't be offended by it. He's confident he has a high SWIQ, and that's fantastic. He's wrong, but it's fantastic that he thinks that. Everyone should. And two, because it would come as no surprise to anyone here that I disagree with him frequently on what should and should not be in a SW movie--which is really the essence of SWIQ.

Also, as you know, there is no numerical scale for SWIQ...but rather, it's a "high", "medium", "low" type of measurement. But since you asked, I will say this much, about valuing the SWIQs of members here. If I agree with a member frequently on Star Wars matters--particularly with respect to what things should and should not be in a Star Wars movie--then I think that member has a high SWIQ. Naturally, if I disagree with a member frequently, then I would not rate it very highly.

As for you personally, halliwax, if you really want me to rate yours, go ahead and reply here with a your brief takes on the 9 Star Wars films. Rank them best to worst, and give me a sentence or two on what you think about each one, and why you love, like, dislike or hate it. From that, I can pretty safely rate your SWIQ.

But make sure to qualify things, just to be perfectly clear. For instance, if you rate ROTJ as your favorite film, you gotta let me know *when* you saw it. Because if you saw each of the three OT films in the theater, in order, and ROTJ is your favorite, well, that's gonna really sink your rating. However, if you were born in '78, and ROTJ was the first SW film you ever saw, then I'm not gonna dock you as many SWIQ points, because I fully get the nostalgia effect of it being your first introduction to Star Wars. Now, don't get me wrong. You're SWIQ is still gonna fall with your selection of ROTJ as your favorite SW film. Because it's not even close to ANH and ESB. lol (Unless, of course, you said something like the following: "ROTJ is the first SW film I saw, and for that reason I still rate is as my favorite. But, objectively speaking, I understand it is not on the masterpiece level of ANH and ESB.". So you've got to be clear in what you're saying, lest someone assessing your SWIQ--be it me, or anyone else--may misjudge it.)

Depending on what you write, I will be able to assess your SWIQ pretty accurately. But it's possible you will provide answers that would require me to drill down further with you, to get an accurate reading of your SWIQ. Just to give you one extreme example, let's say I meet a guy on the street and he has a Star Wars t-shirt on. So we strike up a quick convo about our shared passion, and he says he hated TLJ. I reply, "Riiiiight?!". It would be a mistake for me to give him a high SWIQ based just on that comment, because later in the convo I find out he hated it because he loved TFA, and was furious that TLJ completely ignored all the great narratives JJ had set into motion in Episode 7. Oh, and that transgression overwhelmed the good stuff in TLJ, such as his bold and welcomed choice of putting Luke's failures and frailties on full display. So, hearing that, I'd have to seriously downgrade his SWIQ, because I don't like TFA and I hated Ruin's treatment of Luke. So, my point is, depending on what you write, it's possible I would have to grill you further about Star Wars, and what's made each of the movies good or what's made them bad. This is why I say about the GOT guys, or Favreau, that I'd need up to an hour+ with each of them, to accurately assess their SWIQs, because SWIQ can be nuanced and a person's comments can be deceiving. I'd prefer the meetings be in a pub, so that alcohol could aid in revealing their true Star Wars Intelligence Quotients.

The Wook

oh this is going to be fun! ready!?

born in 84, first SW i saw in the theater was 97 with the special edition, went and saw ANH, then ESB, then all day one day i was dropped off and watch ANH,ESB,ROTJ back to back. before this i had some hand me down VHS tapes i bought dirt cheap from a rental store that was going out of business. i watched those every day after school, until the SE was released on VHS. only reason i ditched the OT VHS was because there was more snow on my tv screen then in alaska, the tapes were beat..

Favorite Rank

-1 ESB: all time favorite SW movie, to me nothing will ever touch this film. best sequel movie in history, loved seeing hero's fail in the end of the film, and the bad guys victorious

-2 ANH: just a classic! where she all started, where this hobby of mine all started, we all know and love it

-3 RoTJ: i love this movie up until our heros are meet up again with mon mothma. the movie seems to totally change for me... love all the ships at the end though.. the space battle..
but the jabba scene, and space battle is all i watch it for...
-4 TFA: loved seeing all our heros again, loved seeing the new generation take off, sucked not seeing R2 much but looked forward to seeing him in ep8. TFA is top 4!! loved a female lead, loved finn

-5 TPM: i was in 8th grade, skipped school and went to see it back to back... we were all excited for this new star wars. i was young, realized i was more excited for just seeing flashy
laser swords and not really realizing how DIFFERENT this new star wars was.. still rank this #4 because i love maul, love how there are many practical effects used... but it took
me until the end of the prequels to realize, this just isn't star wars
-6 R1: cant say much about it... dont care about this movie. the only reason i rank it 6 is because when i throw this movie in to watch i start it at the space battle with the x wing exists hyperspace and has the yellow astromech in back... i watch the film from there on out.. dont care about the characters, dont care about the plot... i like seeing the ships, and vader slaughter at the end... if i had to watch TPM or R1 i'd go with TPM honestly...

-7 & 8 TCW+ROTS: both i think are terrible... i was excited for clone wars, and when i saw it was pretty confident Lucas lost his touch. I didnt even see ROTS opening night.. it was a
few weeks later, and it didnt really bother me seeing it late.. i laughed through most of it, and was even told to shut up when vader yelled his famous NOOOOOO
(at the time i didnt even know about the "no") cant remember the last time i put the dvd's in... seriously cant remember...

-9 TLJ: total trash... will never watch it again... beautiful props, and r2 got screwed again.. this is equivalent to ep2+3 for me...

ok wook, roast me! :thumbsup

oh this is going to be fun! ready!?

born in 84, first SW i saw in the theater was 97 with the special edition, went and saw ANH, then ESB, then all day one day i was dropped off and watch ANH,ESB,ROTJ back to back. before this i had some hand me down VHS tapes i bought dirt cheap from a rental store that was going out of business. i watched those every day after school, until the SE was released on VHS. only reason i ditched the OT VHS was because there was more snow on my tv screen then in alaska, the tapes were beat..

Favorite Rank

-1 ESB: all time favorite SW movie, to me nothing will ever touch this film. best sequel movie in history, loved seeing hero's fail in the end of the film, and the bad guys victorious

-2 ANH: just a classic! where she all started, where this hobby of mine all started, we all know and love it

-3 RoTJ: i love this movie up until our heros are meet up again with mon mothma. the movie seems to totally change for me... love all the ships at the end though.. the space battle..
but the jabba scene, and space battle is all i watch it for...
-4 TFA: loved seeing all our heros again, loved seeing the new generation take off, sucked not seeing R2 much but looked forward to seeing him in ep8. TFA is top 4!! loved a female lead, loved finn

-5 TPM: i was in 8th grade, skipped school and went to see it back to back... we were all excited for this new star wars. i was young, realized i was more excited for just seeing flashy
laser swords and not really realizing how DIFFERENT this new star wars was.. still rank this #4 because i love maul, love how there are many practical effects used... but it took
me until the end of the prequels to realize, this just isn't star wars
-6 R1: cant say much about it... dont care about this movie. the only reason i rank it 6 is because when i throw this movie in to watch i start it at the space battle with the x wing exists hyperspace and has the yellow astromech in back... i watch the film from there on out.. dont care about the characters, dont care about the plot... i like seeing the ships, and vader slaughter at the end... if i had to watch TPM or R1 i'd go with TPM honestly...

-7 & 8 TCW+ROTS: both i think are terrible... i was excited for clone wars, and when i saw it was pretty confident Lucas lost his touch. I didnt even see ROTS opening night.. it was a
few weeks later, and it didnt really bother me seeing it late.. i laughed through most of it, and was even told to shut up when vader yelled his famous NOOOOOO
(at the time i didnt even know about the "no") cant remember the last time i put the dvd's in... seriously cant remember...

-9 TLJ: total trash... will never watch it again... beautiful props, and r2 got screwed again.. this is equivalent to ep2+3 for me...

ok wook, roast me! :thumbsup

Lol...there'll be no roasting. But before I rate your SWIQ, I need to drill down a bit further. Please answer the following questions:

1) How far a gap is there between each of these four films: ROTJ, TFA, ANH, and ESB?

2) What, if anything, didn't you like about TFA?

The Wook

Lol...there'll be no roasting. But before I rate your SWIQ, I need to drill down a bit further. Please answer the following questions:

1) How far a gap is there between each of these four films: ROTJ, TFA, ANH, and ESB?

2) What, if anything, didn't you like about TFA?

The Wook

1) RoTJ-TFA 30year gap, ANH-ESB with the canon switch I don’t believe there is a 100% answer but I read it use to be 3 years time difference between ANH and ESB, and possibly 1 year gap between ESB and RoTJ

2) didn’t like Rey being so powerful, didn’t like her beating kylo ren when she’s never battled with a lightsaber. Didn’t like Finn using the lightsaber, didn’t like how r2 got totally forgotten... and conveniently waking up at the end with the unfinished map to skywalker... HATED starkiller base... why couldn’t they have a planet killing weapon attached to a super star destroyer... with time technology gets smaller... always could see this happen

Didn’t like the build up to so many unanswered questions. I love JJ but I hate how his mystery box layouts... the mystery box can’t work in a detailed saga like this... for tv shows or monster movies it works but not something historic as this

One thing that seriously bothered me at first was how did Luke’s lightsaber resurface and why it looked different... but I learned to except that... quite a shame they brought it back only to throw it off a cliff and rip it in half...

Other than that I love TFA, I think it’s a awesome reboot. Because that’s what it is a reboot, and I am not a reboot fan

EDIT: one more thing i should add wook, is i have stayed pretty up to date on all new star wars canon. my friend and i were homeschool together back in the 90s. we read most of all the EU books. i gave up reading and he continued. once the EU was erased from history like biff in back to the future 2, i started back up on becoming a star wars canon historian... reading every book and comic there is out there. i dont know if this scores any brownie points for ya ;)

Last edited:
1) RoTJ-TFA 30year gap, ANH-ESB with the canon switch I don’t believe there is a 100% answer but I read it use to be 3 years time difference between ANH and ESB, and possibly 1 year gap between ESB and RoTJ

Forgive me, I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the gap in the stories timeline. But rather, what is the gap between the films with respect to your estimation of them. In other words, you ranked them this way:

1) ESB
2) ANH
3) ROTJ
4) TFA

That's only tells me so much, however. What I wanna know is, how far is ANH behind ESB? How far is ROTJ behind ANH? Etc.? I'm talking about, in terms of where you rank them. Maybe space them out accordingly. Here's a generic example of a fan who thinks ESB is best, ANH is right behind it, ROTJ is a distant third, and then a small-ish drop to TFA:

1) ESB
2) ANH

3) ROTJ

4) TFA

Separating them that way for me, will be helpful.

The Wook

Time for scoring...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 3.10.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 3.10.06 PM.png
    620.5 KB · Views: 89
The results of Halliwax's SWIQ test are in. His SWIQ is:

High.

And bordering on very high, but not quite there. Here's a snapshot breakdown of his SWIQ profile. If you're a sports fan, consider it like a Scouting Report, of sorts. A SWIQ Scouting Report. lol

High SWIQ Strengths:

* Recognizes that ANH and ESB represent the gold standard of Star Wars films.

* Places sufficient quality gap between ESB/ANH and ROTJ. (See "SWIQ Weaknesses" for caveats.)

* Places sufficient gap between the OT films and the remaining 6 films.

* Places sufficient gap between ESB/ANH and TFA. (See "SWIQ Weaknesses" for caveats.)

* Correctly critical of many of the low-SWIQ elements in TFA, such as Rey's Mary Sue treatment by the writers/diretor. (See "SWIQ Weaknesses" for caveats.)

* Accurately identifies Vader going berserk at the end as one of the only good scenes in an otherwise awful Rogue 1.

* Vehemently voices proper contempt for TLJ--the worst Star Wars movie ever made.

* Extremely high Star Wars knowledge base. And even though canon is all that matters, he boasts an extensive EU knowledge, and gets a small nod for that.

Low SWIQ Weaknesses:

* Professes far too much love for TFA. And so even though, to his credit, he was turned off by Mary Sue Rey and some other ridiculous elements in the film, he still, oddly, considers the film, to use his direct words, an "awesome reboot". True, he normally hates reboots, so this praise is diluted by that fact. But after listing some things, both important and trivial, which he didn't like about the film, he went on to say, "Other than that, I love TFA.". This is a concern, although it is mitigated by the large gap he placed between ESB/ANH and TFA.

* Gap he places between ESB/ANH and ROTJ should be greater, but he was born in '84, so he has a certain nostalgia for ROTJ. He didn't experience the three-year wait between films, he was super young when he watched the first three films on VHS over and over again, and he didn't see the films in the theater until he'd already seen them each umpteen times on the small screen. So this was considered as a mitigating factor when reducing his SWIQ on this point. But, he's not a fan of the Ewoks, so at least he dislikes the lowest-SWIQ parts of the film.

Conclusion:

High-SWIQ fan who borders on being a Very High-SWIQ fan, but is held back by his weaknesses--especially the weakness regarding his erroneous belief that TFA is mostly a good Star Wars movie. Without drilling down deeper into his SWIQ, it remains a firm, "High-SWIQ" rating. But based on the current available data, not higher than that. I would recommend him to make a Star Wars movie. But with supervision.

Last edited:
@The Wook -- DO ME! DO ME! :D

Oh my gosh, I'm having flashbacks to when everyone posted to that turd, Larry Young, "DO ME! WHAT'S MY AVATAR?!". lol

Sorry, Inquisitor, giving a detailed SWIQ analysis takes time, and when I'm done with you, someone else would ask. Besides, yours would be take longer than the one for @halliwax did, because he's more black-and-white than you are. I asked him a few questions to determine his SWIQ. You traffic in gray areas frequently, so I'd have ask you about 20 questions. At least. lol

Of course, I read your posts and so I have a general idea of your SWIQ. But as I said earlier, I don't want to make it a habit of rating members' SWIQs. Y'all ought to know, basically, what I deem yours to be, by how much we agree on all things Star Wars, and in particular, what we deem belongs in a SW movie, and what doesn't.

The Wook

Vader’s rampage in R1 was nothing more than fan service and by no means the best scene of that movie. It also detracts from his confrontation with Kenobi less than 48hours later.
How high does a SWIQ have to be to acknowledge that?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back