Solo: A Star Wars Story

Solo could've been a very special film. If they'd have just cast the right guy.

I've been thinking about this, and I don't know that's true. I personally think it's unhealthy to hold nostalgia is some precious space, that said, I think the movie looks cool and fun and I'm excited for it... but I don't NEED it.

Most of the derision seems to come from the casting, but even with somebody else in the role-- it's still the same script, still the same swapped directors. Of all the problems this production has had, the casting of the lead is just one, and for many people it's not an issue at all.

I don't think it would be possible for any actor to be cast that would universally be accepted. Han Solo is iconic-- and unlike say James Bond or Batman, he's always been played by one guy. So no matter what, this film had an immediate uphill battle.

Again, I'm excited for it, but at the end of the day, I question the decision to make it at all. To go in from step one knowing at least half of the fanbase would hate the idea of recasting, and another quarter wouldn't like WHO was cast, I don't think the misstep was casting Aiden.

The misstep was deciding we needed this story at all. With all the possible stories and spin-offs you could tell, this seems like the most obviously risky one to do.

Just watched it. Not a word. Hmmm...

Studio's have these things called NDA's which preclude people from talking about things prior to certain dates.

Furthermore, the next season of Atlanta is about to air and he could also want to keep the focus on that.

So, not remotely abnormal in any way shape or form at this point.

Most of the derision seems to come from the casting, but even with somebody else in the role-- it's still the same script, still the same swapped directors. Of all the problems this production has had, the casting of the lead is just one.

But we don't know how good or bad the story is. We do know how badly cast the main character is.

Studio's have these things called NDA's which preclude people from talking about things prior to certain dates.

Furthermore, the next season of Atlanta is about to air and he could also want to keep the focus on that.

So, not remotely abnormal in any way shape or form at this point.

True, but aren't actors usually talking up their films when a full trailer for their film is currently playing in theaters across America?

So, Wook, I take it you're not pleased with the casting?
Just checking, because you've been very vague and infrequent in posting about it. ;)

Hi Treadwell, it's difficult to tell whether you're being facetious or not, but yes, to answer your question, I think it's downright criminal that they passed over Anthony Ingruber for this DiCaprio-Liotta love-child pipsqueak.

The Wook

Well, that's odd. Here's what I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE8Cd85-QM

It begins with his entrance, and then at the conclusion of the near-11 minute long segment, it appears that he's done for the evening, if you listen to what Colbert is saying. I don't know where this 1:42 segment came from. Was it on the show, or was it cut from the broadcast? Or did he come out for a second segment? Which would be odd, as that kind of extended airtime is usually reserved for megastars.

Can anyone shed light on this? Perhaps someone who actually saw the broadcast that night?

The Wook

If if only there was someone here who could break down the numbers for us. ;)

Best educated guesses are all I`m looking for. I`m sure if there were any members here with that kind of inside knowledge,which I`m sure there isnt, they would wish to stay anonymous let alone give any impression that they do.;)

Best educated guesses are all I`m looking for. I`m sure if there were any members here with that kind of inside knowledge,which I`m sure there isnt, they would wish to stay anonymous let alone give any impression that they do.;)

I don't think they share that in their public filings or their quarterly financial reports so personally I have never seen any thing on actual costs of these films, just estimates. Certainly with all the reshoots it must have added an additional, what 50%, to the cost? I don't think the Lord and Miller stuff was too expensive but I'm not familiar what a director contract looks like and how they are compensated.

Well, that's odd. Here's what I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE8Cd85-QM

It begins with his entrance, and then at the conclusion of the near-11 minute long segment, it appears that he's done for the evening, if you listen to what Colbert is saying. I don't know where this 1:42 segment came from. Was it on the show, or was it cut from the broadcast? Or did he come out for a second segment? Which would be odd, as that kind of extended airtime is usually reserved for megastars.

Can anyone shed light on this? Perhaps someone who actually saw the broadcast that night?

The Wook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhyUq446oSk

Poor quality, but the Star Wars segment is at the end of the whole interview.

I guess someone at Lucasfilm promotional department can kiss their job goodbye.
92c7b34c77596dc4111dd2ea0a5169b7.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back