NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

I don't care what is in books, guides, games, shows, or was said by Lucas or Hidalgo or anyone. If it ain't in a movie, it ain't canon (easter eggs don't count, either). That's just the way I look at it.

Personally, I take it a step further. If it came after 1983, I choose to accept what I like and discard the rest. We should all have our own personal preferred version of Star Wars and it's many possibilities given the fact that those of us on a site like this are probably bigger fans than the young industry folks who get the privilege of make this stuff up going forward. We've had thirty-five years to imagine what happens after and before the OT. Star Wars and it's stylistic framework and sense of quality was fully defined before David Lee Roth first left Van Halen. If these people can't get it right, I'll resort to my own imagination.

Some fans are making their own full scale Millennium Falcon. Maybe it's time we made our own Star Wars movies. :D

I wonder if this idea of installing outer covers to the Falcon was initiated by the principles of toy merchandising.
It is a common practice to design robots and stuff so that they "transform," driven by the intent to increase the "play value" and sales of toys,

So isn't an easter egg in the movie? Which by your definition makes it canon?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I look at Easter eggs as just fun little things they put in the films for amusement, not necessarily meant to be absolute canon. For example, there were rumors of a potato and a shoe being put in the ESB asteroid field. Does that mean there are giant shoes floating around in the SW universe?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I look at Easter eggs as just fun little things they put in the films for amusement, not necessarily meant to be absolute canon. For example, there were rumors of a potato and a shoe being put in the ESB asteroid field. Does that mean there are giant shoes floating around in the SW universe?

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, but that is not an example of an easter egg. They are potatoes in real life that are being used to represent asteroids in the distance. If they were easter eggs, they'd be meant to be interpreted as potatoes in the story itself. That would be like saying the American LaFrance frame rails on the front of the five-foot Falcon model are meant to be easter eggs representing fire truck parts on the ship in the story.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, but that is not an example of an easter egg. They are potatoes in real life that are being used to represent asteroids in the distance. If they were easter eggs, they'd be meant to be interpreted as potatoes in the story itself. That would be like saying the American LaFrance frame rails on the front of the five-foot Falcon model are meant to be easter eggs representing fire truck parts on the ship in the story.
There is a difference between kit bashing to make the models and putting something in to be funny or be found by people that study minute details in each frame. I don't believe they made wide use of potatoes to represent asteroids, they just put one in to see if anyone would notice.

I would consider the original fuzzy dice in the Falcon to be like an Easter egg. They were later brought back in a form that made more sense in universe but originally they were meant as a reference to hotrods like in American Grafitti.

There is a difference between kit bashing to make the models and putting something in to be funny or be found by people that study minute details in each frame. I don't believe they made wide use of potatoes to represent asteroids, they just put one in to see if anyone would notice.

I would consider the original fuzzy dice in the Falcon to be like an Easter egg. They were later brought back in a form that made more sense in universe but originally they were meant as a reference to hotrods like in American Grafitti.

The official story goes that the far away asteroids were potatoes for practical reasons. They weren't put in as a joke. And they put many in, not just one. You couldn't possibly expect anyone to identify the difference that far away especially since every potato and every asteroid is unlike another.

I agree that dice could be considered easter eggs.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Naaah, thata very far fetched defination for easter eggs. Potatoes and shoes used as asteroid just represents the way of special effects back in the old days. They would have used everything to get to where the want.
The Ghost in the Scarif space battle in R1 is a easter egg

So isn't an easter egg in the movie? Which by your definition makes it canon?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking very specifically of things the Millennium Falcon in ROTS. Neat that they put it in there, but it doesn't mean anything that it takes up a few pixels in one shot and George said something about it once. Or ET's species being in the senate chambers.

The EW interview said something along the lines of "The Falcon is older than you think, has been modded a lot, and reflects the ship's captain", which I feel is an interesting way to put it.

I like to imagine that the Falcon in Revenge of the Sith was the Falcon, but obviously it's not Lando's yet.

Posted on IGN

It turns out there's a very good story reason as to why the Millennium Falcon looks a little more polished in all the footage we've seen from Solo: A Star Wars Story so far. Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Solo co-writer Jon Kasdan and star Alden Ehrenreich explained that the appearance of the Falcon reflects the Captain who pilots it. In Solo, the ship's blue and white exterior and sleek interior speaks volumes about its captain Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover), who enjoys the odd party or two.
“Where Han gave it a certain shabby coolness and a dinged up quality that reflected where he was at that point in his life," said Kasdan, "this Falcon reflects its owner very clearly in its shape and aesthetic and his needs, even if those needs be a little more space to entertain."

Ehrenreich adds that there's a more functional reason why the Falcon looks so shabby once Han wins it off Lando in a game of sabacc.
“It’s safer in the galaxy to fly something that looks like a piece of junk. People underestimate you — especially if you’re up to no good,” Ehrenreich told the publication. “Kinda like how you’re more likely to get pulled over if you’re driving a Lamborghini.”

I think I found the perfect use for one of the old MPC versions I have. Between the Fine Molds and Bandai 1/72 I just have no desire to finish it considering all the work it would take to turn into a proper Falcon.

However, it looks like it may make perfect fodder for converting to a 1/72 ish iteration of this Falcon, especially considering you don't need all the surface and side wall details

I think I found the perfect use for one of the old MPC versions I have. Between the Fine Molds and Bandai 1/72 I just have no desire to finish it considering all the work it would take to turn into a proper Falcon.

However, it looks like it may make perfect fodder for converting to a 1/72 ish iteration of this Falcon, especially considering you don't need all the surface and side wall details

It might be a fun project, but I think it's 99% likely that Bandai will be offering a 1/144 version within a few months that is accurate and a lot less work. Not to dissuade you from doing it, mind you. I've got a couple old MPCs too and I have no motivation to do anything with them.

It might be a fun project, but I think it's 99% likely that Bandai will be offering a 1/144 version within a few months that is accurate and a lot less work. Not to dissuade you from doing it, mind you. I've got a couple old MPCs too and I have no motivation to do anything with them.

My question is what the hell is Bandai's hold up on a 1:144 OT Falcon.

How about the "kitchen sink" easter egg in the opening sequence of ROTS? I suppose there could be kitchen sinks in space. Or the batman tumbler on the full sized falcon in TFA?

The toy looks like it has "blow off" panels.

star-wars-toys-8.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back