Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

Yeah lots of good paint schemes here. May have to give the soft iron a try. It has a nice sheen is that the paint itself or a clear coat?

No clear coat. Buffing with a little steel wool makes it shine a little and look even more like metal. I’ll get some better pics tomorrow.

WOW! What's your painting technique for that?! That looks unbelievable.

Thanks!

The gun came already pre-painted in glossy black. I took off the grips and masked all parts that needed to stay black (including underneath the grips, otherwise they'd become too light orange).
I then used Humbrol Metalcote steel and polished Aluminium spray (it's amazing!) and after a few minutes of drying, I buffed it up with a silver-cloth. It looked really shiny. Then I used dry brushing to make it dirty with tan and black oil paint and speckle it with tan to fake the rust. It was done very quickly. Masking took most of the time.

Roy

Just in case some of you missed the announcement over in the Off topic section, Robiwon passed away last night.
Very sad news for the RPF. :(

Terribly sad news. As I said on his build thread when I joined the RPF a short time ago he was one of people I was always happy to see a post from, not just because his work was inspirational but because he was a really nice guy. So very sorry for his loss and much sympathy to all his friends and family.

Quick update. Got the inactive LEDs and wire added, did some weathering and detail paint, next is masking off for the final silver section around the triggers and grip.

I kinda feel like this could be Gaff’s blaster. The pearl grips are just a little dash of fancy, and it has enough slight modifications to make it special.

08033642-8D99-4A47-986D-5E4705695282.jpeg561D2E7C-6567-4458-A6A1-404C7AEEE7FE.jpeg

Any one used rub n buff on these to simulate a metal finish in certain areas? The graphite powder thing is ok but a shade too dark for the finish I'm trying to achieve.

Quick update. Got the inactive LEDs and wire added, did some weathering and detail paint, next is masking off for the final silver section around the triggers and grip.

I kinda feel like this could be Gaff’s blaster. The pearl grips are just a little dash of fancy, and it has enough slight modifications to make it special.

View attachment 767354View attachment 767355

How did you get the pearly effect on the grips?

The way you're doing the casting, there wouldn't happen to be any way to make special inserts for the grips, like a department badge or something? I have half an idea to REALLY personalize one...

Yup I could do pretty much anything like that, glitter, metallic flakes, amber with bugs in it...

Some really nice mods going on...I'm leaving mine as is till hopefully they reissue them and they get cheaper. Does anyone know how to spot a fake?.

Some really nice mods going on...I'm leaving mine as is till hopefully they reissue them and they get cheaper. Does anyone know how to spot a fake?.

to the best of my knowledge of searching these on Ebay on a daily basis and doing bing/google searches a few times a week.
There is no fakes at the moment.

And since these were made in China, and have been sold out quickly. Maybe there could be knock offs, but who knows

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back