Doctor Who opinions

So we're all for diversity and gender equality, but lets hire another white guy, because 13 white guys in a row is clearly not enough.

Which is bad thinking right there. Gender shouldn't be an issue at all. They need to hire the best actor or actress for the role and not take race or gender into account at all. It shouldn't matter to anyone. That it does is disgusting.

Here's the thing. If they put a line out to a bunch of agents saying they're looking for a new doctor and 20 people put their names in the hat and the best one based on the auditions happens to be a woman who applied of her own accord - excellent.

They heard from a lot of groups over the last 2 doctors that it wasn't a woman. Wasn't really an issue prior to that. Now, if the call goes out this time and they ask 20 women and pick the best woman, that's pandering and bad.

As we all know, the best person for the job doesn't always get the job - there can be lots of politics involved/in the way. Is Chibnall free to choose anyone he wants? Does moffatt have a say? Is the BBC picking? etc. If it's all Chibnall, i'll trust the choice. If it's BBC...not so much. But the proof will be in the pudding.

I think it's fair to ask where the woman aspect is coming from. Is it the fanbase? I don't think so. It's special interest groups for the most part raising a fuss about equality. If the network has a say, it could be in trying to lure more viewers in. But, you have to wonder would it draw in more viewers than it might lose? I don't have the answers, just saying the questions ARE valid.

I think it could be done well, but it'll be a minefield. Especially in the short term. Whoever it is will have to be able to weather a @#$%storm that will occur right after the announcement and into the first season. It's not right that they'll have to, but short of Helen Mirren type, i don't see everyone keeping calm until there's an actual episode to watch.

Personally, i'd love it if they filmed regen scenes with like 5 different people and told them all to watch the xmas episode to see who got the role :) keep everyone in the dark til the last second. Play up the tension a bit :)

Exactly.

I'd love for somebody who automatically calls it pandering to tell me what the scenario would be where it is not pandering.

I dunno. I mean, I guess my view is that you'll spot the pandering when the show actually airs and gets 1-3 episodes under its belt. I'd give it 3 because the first show is a transition, the second they're still sort of getting their sea legs, but by the 3rd, they should have a sense for what they're really doing with the character. If it's just winky-winky "You're a lady!" jokes by episode 3, then it'll strike me as pandering. Or at least as poor execution of what might otherwise be a good idea.

To be clear, I do think that the Doctor as a woman could be interesting. I've said for years that the best science fiction is that which takes the human experience and filters it through the prism of the fantastical to better highlight the humanity. A female Doctor might be much more about getting at the essence of what it means to be the Doctor. Is it about being a white dude? Or is it about the Doctor's core being, disconnected from the Doctor's sex? If the stories went in that direction, I'd love it, frankly. (I mean, assuming they were well done otherwise, of course.) But like I said, if it's just gags about "He's a chick!" then I'm not interested. Or if it's "Watch it, because he's a chick!" but the actual quality of the show is crap, then, again, not really interested.

Alternatively, explore what it means to be a woman in this world by using the Doctor, an alien, to highlight those experiences. Someone sees a woman, makes an assumption, and -- nope -- that's not how it's playing out because the Doctor is a Time Lord/Lady, and not an Earthling woman. There are lots of interesting ways to do it without just going for low hanging fruit.

Right now I'm going by the public definition, i.e., non white male.

Well that's sort of reductive and reactionary and doesn't really promote discussion.

I think simply put, diversity is showing a variety or representation. Be it gender, color, orientation, ideology, or whatever. Go look up interviews with rappers like DMC or Chuck D where they talk about the effect the Black Panther comic had on them as kids. They LOVED comics before it came along, but once it did, they felt included. They saw a hero that looked like them.

That's just a simple example. A lot of people in various fandoms can love a thing, but when the time comes that they see themselves represented it feels great for your thing to acknowledge you. When geekdom IPs decide to embrace that and be more open to their own fans, that is not a bad thing.

It's a simple fact that most entertainment has always been geared towards the straight, white, christian, male demographic. Not ALL things obviously. IP like Star Trek has always shown diversity (and may actually be the first example of it-- and it WAS a big deal), and obviously niche targeted material has existed for a long time.

But minorities wanting to be represented in the main stream isn't a bad thing.

I get the blowback, because if it is remotely political it has the tendency to be blown up and mutated by the press, and everyone becomes reactionary. But like I said before, you don't get to a place where diversity exists without making a statement first. Star Trek's cast was a big deal at the time-- and even now, people complain that the new show has two female leads.

Marvel's approach in the last couple years was a terrible way to go about it and insulted everybody.

"Pandering" and "gimmick" accusations are so easy to claim because there's no paradigm for these things to happen in a quiet way simply because we're still not diverse as a culture. It would be great if it was as easy as that-- and those of you saying "just cast the best actor" could see that a casting could just be that. Until we are diverse, somebody is always going to cry foul (usually a white dude). We won't be diverse until casting and representation do these things out of rote-- but they don't. They only do it when people make noise.

It's unfortunate, but that's how the message is delivered.

Back to The Doctor, for my money, a female Doctor would be a gimmick and handled poorly if they sexualized her. The Doctor has made it very clear that outside of being in love with Rose and later River, he's put off by the idea of sexuality. To have a female Doctor that dresses slutty and hits on dudes or sleeps around-- that would be a terrible way to go about it.

That is EXACTLY why I'm 100% against a female Doctor. I haven't liked the "Female Companions who want in the Doctor's Pants" angle that's been prevalent for much of the New series, and I have absolutely no faith in them to not pull a "Sexy Doctor and her hot male Companions" stunt with a female Doctor.

Bring back Romana to test the waters and if she's a hit, give her a spin off show.
If we ever get a female Doctor, I'd want someone like Joss Whedon or JK Rowling in charge of the show. I could trust them to write a competent female lead. I'd be interested in Idris Alba, but surprised if that happens.

Whoever it is they've picked, we're gonna find out on Sunday.

So soon!!

My hope and desire is for Phoebe Waller-Bridge but it'll likely be some British dude from some BBC show I've never seen, cause that is what has always been before.

Wow, its all very serious, half expecting an official announcement from Her Majesty........How cool would that be?

" My Husband and I are delighted to announce INSERT NAME HERE as the Thirteenth Doctor"........

I'd want someone like Joss Whedon ...I could trust them to write a competent female lead.
I'm sorry, but What?! He only writes "She's different, and has to suffer, and men are violent to her, but that's OK 'cos she's strong..".Heck, a Whedon femaleDoc would be worse than Moffat's obsession with Clara!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back