Bandai release schedule

Taken from Bandai's Twitter page, a promo image with the caption: "Let's go!".

View attachment 696896

A sign of things to come?

From my limited understanding from clicking through to the blog linked off of their twitter account:

It is just a sign of commitment to the Star Wars line of models. The blog seems to indicate that it is the 1/48 pictured.

Whether it is a sign of things to come (AT-AT), I can only hope!

Said blog: http://bandaihobby.hatenablog.com/

I'll be a little disappointed if Bandai does a mini-snowspeeder instead of a new ship, like the TIE Bomber or the B-Wing. Not that it wouldn't be a fine offering eventually, but there are so many things that haven't even been done once yet.

Since the AT-ATs are blurred to hell, I wouldn't think they are the next product, because the focus of the image is clearly the snowspeeder. I imagine a tiny Snowspeeder.

It's their 1/48 Snow Speeder, there's little reason to run an advertisement for that kit at this time; thus it's most definitely a hint to the walker.
A 1/48 AT-AT shouldn't be too big for a Star Wars kit (given how large the 1/6 Stormtrooper was) unlike a 1/350 ISD.

I've listed what I believe are possible releases from that promo picture alone in no particular order:
1/48 AT-AT
1/72nd AT-AT and Palm-sized (1/72nd) Snow Speeders*
1/144 AT-AT and Snow Speeders
Palm-sized AT-AT

AT-AT or not, I won't expect it to come out too soon, give it until Q3 2017.
Bandai might release a last couple of Rogue One kits until April before going back to the OT/PT.

* each sold separately

Since the AT-ATs are blurred to hell, I wouldn't think they are the next product, because the focus of the image is clearly the snowspeeder. I imagine a tiny Snowspeeder.
For this reason (the blur) I would say exactly the opposite. If something awesome is emerging it would be best to show only a small portion of it - or a blurred bit. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It's their 1/48 Snow Speeder, there's little reason to run an advertisement for that kit at this time; thus it's most definitely a hint to the walker.

1/72nd AT-AT and Palm-sized (1/72nd) Snow Speeders*
1/144 AT-AT and Snow Speeders
Palm-sized AT-AT

That's what I think, too (with a bit more emphasis toward the 1/144 scale). :)

Anyway, the fact that they are still dealing with OT models is a relief. I really hope that they are making a B-Wing soon. I guess this year because it is the only small Rebel fighter they haven't done yet. And it has the "B" in its name ("B" as in "Bandai"), so it's an obligation for them to make the ultimate B(andai)-Wing model. ;)

Last edited:
They'd be fools NOT to do the AT-AT, question is what scale? Given their home market, 1/48 is not likely. 1/72 more likely. 1/144 also very likely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How tall would a 1/144 atat be? If it still like, 5" I'd be willing to be that's what we will get.

I know that sucks, but considering how much they are investing in that size....

It just occurred to me that the biggest ship they've done to date is the 1/48 x-wing. Which is definitely not a big seller (for other reasons).

Not a good message to send to them
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AT-AT is 22.5 meters according to starwars.com (seems they are using their numbers, as they probably should)

So it would be 18" at 1/48, 12" at 1/72 and 6" at 1/144.

If they made a 1/144, they can keep it, as far as I'm concerned. If I want something that small, there are plenty of toy options, I bet.

BTW: The AT-ST and the Snowspeeder are 1/48 as well.

Others on this forum are certainly more in the loop than I am, but it sounds like Bandai will be focusing on ESB ships this round. I wouldn't expect a b-wing or any other new ships from ROTJ in this round.

For ESB the AT-AT is obvious. Maybe a Star Destroyer. I don't know what other ESB ships would be popular enough to make kits for that they don't already have. Maybe different scales of ships they already have.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Others on this forum are certainly more in the loop than I am, but it sounds like Bandai will be focusing on ESB ships this round. I wouldn't expect a b-wing or any other new ships from ROTJ in this round.

For ESB the AT-AT is obvious. Maybe a Star Destroyer. I don't know what other ESB ships would be popular enough to make kits for that they don't already have. Maybe different scales of ships they already have.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I think we are all in the dark, grasping at straws. Bandai is really good at keeping secrets.

AT-AT is 22.5 meters according to starwars.com (seems they are using their numbers, as they probably should)

So it would be 18" at 1/48, 12" at 1/72 and 6" at 1/144.

If they made a 1/144, they can keep it, as far as I'm concerned. If I want something that small, there are plenty of toy options, I bet.

BTW: The AT-ST and the Snowspeeder are 1/48 as well.
All three of those were the earliest releases. And the x-wing is still their most involved model.

Seeing that even the u-wing is at 1/144, I'm inclined to bet on that being the preferred scale for this sort of thing.

We have yet to see them give us anything larger.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

All of the larger ships Bandai has done in 1/144 ( Slave 1, Millennium Falcon, U-Wing) I don't see a 1/72 AT-AT happening.

I could see a 1/144 set that might include an AT-AT and maybe snowspeeder mini kit or something. Or it simply could be a repack of the 1/48 kit for overseas with the BlueFin deal that might include an AT-AT mini kit much like the 1/72 X-Wing kit repack including a mini-kit

I would love however for Bandai to prove that theory wrong. A 1/72 AT-AT that is not a simplified Revell kit would surely be a grail kit.

Given their home market, 1/48 is not likely. 1/72 more likely. 1/144 also very likely.

Not exactly, Bandai is into releasing fairly large and expensive boxes although I do wish they release a 1/144 AT-AT someday.
They've mentioned before how their "philosophy" was consistency in scale (no 1/76 X-wings for a 1/72 TIE).
A 1/48 AT-AT to go with the 1/48 Hoth kits is therefore quite likely. Relative to the 1/6 Stormtrooper which was around 5,000yen, I'd place it at 8,000yen, fairly common price point but don't expect anything too fancy such as a full interior beyond the bridge and crew.

And Star Destroyer? With the 80cm tall Neo Zeong kit (100cm if you play around) as a benchmark, the largest scale they can muster is around 1/2000 and may cost a little less than 30,000yen

It just occurred to me that the biggest ship they've done to date is the 1/48 x-wing. Which is definitely not a big seller (for other reasons).

It sold well enough to warrant a re-release AFAIK within a year when it first came out, it was simply a one-off product.

I don't know what other ESB ships would be popular enough to make kits for that they don't already have. Maybe different scales of ships they already have.

If they are focusing on a TESB line, AT-AT would be the obvious choice and I would put my money on them doing it 1/144. It seems like this is their set scale for anything beyond a single-seat fighter. But I can also see Bandai making a 1/12 Imperial Probe Droid. I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they'd do a 1/72 Twin Pod Cloud Car. In fact, since it's TESB we're talking about, I think it's more likely we'd see a cloud car over, say, a Jedi fighter or anything out of the PT. I don't like it, but I think that's reality.

- - - Updated - - -

TIE Bomber and Imperial Shuttle

Yup. This. Though there are fans who refuse to accept that the Imperial Shuttle is actually in TESB (I'm not one of them). ;-)

As much as I love Bandai, I'm loosing faith in them with the SW license. They seem more focused lately on doing figures and tiny kits than anything beefy. I understand the figure kits are popular (I have no interest though) and the Mini kits are selling good, there just really hasn't been much for us larger modelers lately. With R1 being out for a while now I would have figured more vehicle kits from the movie, bigger kits. All I see now are "I hope they do this ship or make a kit of that ship" and nothing comes out but another droid or trooper varient or palm sized kit.

I guess I'll head back to my workbench and keep working on my 2 foot Zvezda Star Destroyer....:unsure

As much as I love Bandai, I'm loosing faith in them with the SW license. They seem more focused lately on doing figures and tiny kits than anything beefy. I understand the figure kits are popular (I have no interest though) and the Mini kits are selling good, there just really hasn't been much for us larger modelers lately. With R1 being out for a while now I would have figured more vehicle kits from the movie, bigger kits. All I see now are "I hope they do this ship or make a kit of that ship" and nothing comes out but another droid or trooper varient or palm sized kit.

I guess I'll head back to my workbench and keep working on my 2 foot Zvezda Star Destroyer....:unsure

On the one hand, I agree, because I always love new stuff, but on the other we have to remember just how spoiled we are now. Fine Molds only released a new kit every couple of years. Bandai is releasing multiple kits per year, and some of them have been great subject matters. But like I said, yeah, new stuff is fun.

Can't quite agree with you, Robiwon. The 1/72 Poe X-Wing was just released. The A-Wing was released less than a year ago. And it's only been, what, 14 months since we got the 1/144 Falcon, the TFA X-Wing, the TFA TIEs (2). This is on top of (finally) 2 PT kits (Clone Trooper and Battledroid). Not to mention the 1/144 U-Wing (though I'd personally have preferred at at 1/72). I have to agree with danielB. We're spoiled. We want a B-Wing. We want a TIE Bomber. We want a Tantive IV. We want an Imperial Shuttle. We (and by "we" I mean me) want some PT vehicles. We want a larger scale SD. We want a 1/72 Falcon. I think Bandai is churning them out at a rate that, frankly, would've been a deranged fantasy only a couple of years ago. So, I'm willing to cut them some slack.

But, yeah, I'd still prefer a B-Wing or a TIE Bomber over a Shore Trooper or another mini kit.

In the mini scale sets they could release another X-Wing with a Rebel transport... Just thinking out loud. I would like Bandai to finish giving us the OT troopers. A snow trooper with a E-Web cannon or a 1/12 size probe droid could be a deluxe kit. AT-AT driver and Tie pilot since there look is so similar. They also could reuse the C3PO kit and do a K-3P0 and R5-M2 kit.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back