Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Has this been established as fact in the Star Wars universe? Because the two look nothing alike. Obi's chest in ANH was much larger than the one seen at Maz's.

@KhalDrogo In TFA it is not the same chest as in ANH. It's much smaller and looks entirely different.
@Dem Bones I don't think Luke is stuck there and trying to leave. I think he is trying not to be found but the Force has other plans for him and Rey and the lightsaber are the means through which the Force makes its will manifest.

Yep, you guys are right about the chest. Comparing images of them I see now that they are quite different.

And Bryancd, that's probably more in step with what we know so far... that he wants out but the force has other ideas. I just keep looking for a more practical reason as to why the blue saber is back in play but I'm probably overthinking it.

Speculation:

I wouldn't doubt Luke/Maz/Rey lightsaber's crystal is a key string tying things together.

This could introduce as many plot holes as it fills. Why than did not Vader sense his saber with Obi-Wan on Tatooine than? Because the dark side clouded his vision?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Speculation:

I wouldn't doubt Luke/Maz/Rey lightsaber's crystal is a key string tying things together.

This could introduce as many plot holes as it fills. Why than did not Vader sense his saber with Obi-Wan on Tatooine than? Because the dark side clouded his vision?

I think the biggest issue with some of these theories isn't a story one, its one of practicality. They only have so much they can put into a films 2 hour run time and explanations that require a ton of exposition are problematic. Usually the simplest answer or simply leaving it vague is the preferred choice.

Speculation:

I suspect it is much more elemental and less "thought-through" at the time the plot point was written- i.e., it's just the fairy-tale device of "it only calls to those who are worthy and pure of heart."

M

It appears clear this movie will be different. And in that sense, I'm glad it's not a clone (see what I did there!) of the OT, like TFA so egregiously was. But a vibe I'm getting when hearing some of these comments from the cast, like Mark and Daisy, about how "different" the film is...is, well, giving me pause, and making me wonder, will it deviate TOO much from Star Wars. The comments, and the tone with which they're delivered, tend to make me feel like they're trying to say something positive about the film, but can only really muster words about how "different" and "unexpected" it is. The Wook
I keep hearing the same thing, that it's going to be different. Even at the start of the new behind the scenes it's said again that this is going to be different. I feel like it is going to be different and they are doing their best go get that in our heads. I'm sure the actors are instructed as what they can say in the interviews and this is probably one thing that they want them to make clear to us.

I keep hearing the same thing, that it's going to be different. Even at the start of the new behind the scenes it's said again that this is going to be different. I feel like it is going to be different and they are doing their best go get that in our heads. I'm sure the actors are instructed as what they can say in the interviews and this is probably one thing that they want them to make clear to us.

It's one of the most effective ways to manage expectations. Parade out the actors and director who would really know the content of the the film with talking points to frame the pre release conversation to set realistic expectations.

I just keep in mind the behind the scenes footage from TFA, as to how much all the actor mumbo-jumbo actually relates to the finished product.

Yeah people seem to often try and discount what we hear from a production prior to release. Sometimes it's nonsense but when it comes to a property such as this and considering the careful way Disney manages product, we are not being lied to or sold a bill of goods.

Last edited:
Yeah people seem to often try and discount what we here from a production prior to release. Sometimes it's none sense but when it comes to a property let's me this and the careful way Disney manages product, we are not being lied to it sold a bill of goods.

Bryancd- have you been hacked ?Or are you drunk? Not only is the spelling appalling, which is unlike you ,but the sentence construction is extremely poor. If not get checked you may be having a stroke.

I just keep in mind the behind the scenes footage from TFA, as to how much all the actor mumbo-jumbo actually relates to the finished product.

Yep,....look at the Sizzle Reel for Rogue One.....it looks like a different movie

Still turned out brilliant,....but it shows how scenes can be dropped for the final product

J

Bryancd- have you been hacked ?Or are you drunk? Not only is the spelling appalling, which is unlike you ,but the sentence construction is extremely poor. If not get checked you may be having a stroke.

Oh good grief! With apologies I was distracted and my spell check has failed me miserably. Thank you for quoting it for posterity as I go back and fix that mess!

He was probably just using speech to text, which means it was done in a hurry, which flatters me. - Because that means my post was really, really good.

Last edited:
Oh good grief! With apologies I was distracted and my spell check has failed me miserably. Thank you for quoting it for posterity as I go back and fix that mess!
No worries, glad you're all right. I've had a variety of experiences with people having the occasional medical emergency over the years and that was kind of symptomatic. My Father had a mini stroke years ago pushing a car in the snow but recovered well and sadly I lost a friend who just bumped his head one evening , didn't think anything to it and was dead by the morning. His wife said the only thing that he said was that he had a slight headache before he went to bed. As you get older , things like that properly put the wind up you. He was only forty five. Big Star Wars and 2000AD fan, I still miss him a times.

Last edited:
So maybe Luke spent those years learning how to harness the Force to send out strong, focused messages to... and this is where it gets iffy... his old, blue lightsaber which acts like an amplifier, picking up the Force signals from its old master and sending them out to any other Force users nearby operating on his same wave length... which in this case happens to be Rey.

I like it, but I think it depends on who dropped Rey off on Jakku. It also depends on if that was the first time Rey was abandonned (because she was old enough to scream "NO!", remember, and Luke and Leia were dropped off to loving individuals as newborns, not dropped off to some giant gruffy looking alien. I'm guessing here that she was abandonned after the fall of the New Jedi Academy, but that depends on how much older Kylo Ren is than Rey. And too that Kylo Ren never met or heard about Rey). And if it was Luke dropping her off either time, assuming he was a loving father who had spent time with her, he would already have a strong connection with Rey (especially if he's her father!) and he'd call out to Rey the same way he did to Leia on Bespin (except with, as you said, years of focused Force-IM'ing practice;) ) and wouldn't necessarily need a Force-beacon to relay the message. Besides, I'm kinda partial to the whole "a lightsaber is imbued with the Force" and is semi-sentient idea. The reason the "Skywalker Lightsaber" is kinda messed up and a little dark in it's message sending is that Anakin was good, but kinda messed up when he made it. And then they both (Anakin and the saber) got even more dark after the whole Jedi Temple massacre and trying to kill Obi-Wan. I bet it was glad to be kept in a friendly, quiet box for as long as it had been at Obi-Wan's, it's got some stuff to sort out after all in its semi-sentient mind/spirit. Maz probably sensed that too and back in a box it went. Having the hand that weilded you get cut off not just once, but twice, that's some pretty strong P.T.S.D. for a lightsaber to deal with, ya know?! So, it's calling out to Rey that she needs to get Luke back into the fight and help restore the Light Side of the Force yet again. Perhaps even to help assuage it's own need to be reconciled with the Light Side of the Force.

That's a whole lot to explain in a single movie, let alone a trilogy, and that's just getting started! But it'd be a great Star Wars Lightsaber Novel!

All that and more... Oooooor, it's just that Rey was sent to find Luke, the lightsaber wasn't really trying to get back to Luke, but rather that it liked Rey and wanted her to be it's new owner, and Rey still wants nothing to do with the crazy little messed up lightsaber and is like "Your Luke Skywalker? Good, here's your messed up lightsaber back. It has issues ya know!"

I agree with Bryancd, I think Luke is still trying to figure out his own failure with Kylo Ren and the loss of his New Jedi Academy. But who knows, maybe it's time to balance the Force and Luke is dusting off the scales!

Of course, that doesn't explain why Maz has the saber in her castle.

I think it's likely that Maz, being a proprietor who caters to smugglers, came across the lightsaber via someone who stoll it from Vader (if we're going with EU lore, maybe before the whole Luuke Skywalker plot?) being Force sensitive, she snatched it up one way...or the other.

But I like the general idea in theory — that it took years of concentrated effort for him to reach out across the galaxy using nothing but the Force to reach a like-minded Force user. Too far fetched?

Nope, fun story! Too long, probably for a movie, but not for a novel... get "Dem (finger)Bones" to writing!!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back