Show your custom Lightsabers!

Spent my Saturday working on my hardware saber. 20180407_214106.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about the emitter though.

Last edited:
Hey,
here is my first personal design custom lightsaber, I wanted to show it there because I remember when I first arrived to this wonderful board and read the 70ish pages at the time and that was really inspirering.
thanks guys for your creativity and for sharing!

here we go, based on a Mamiya-Koki flash, I haven't seen a lot used there I think. took me quite a while to figure out what I could do with it.
before:
Mamiya_before.jpg

after, with all vintage parts from a canon Y, a Heiland and other small found bits:

Mamiya_02.JPG

Mamiya_03.JPG

Mamiya_04.JPG

Mamiya_05.JPG

Mamiya_06.JPG

Mamiya_07.JPG

I wanted some kind of igniter thing at the top, like the lightsaber is throwing plasma and something is igniting it to have what we see on screen. so, it's a bit special and I don't know if you guys will like it.
also, it's obviously a bit short and there are no grips or anything yet, I wanting on your opinions on that but my girlfriend liked it like that because of the simplicity of the bottom and the shinny appearance and kind of forbid me to do more on it ;)

cheers guys

I love the igniter at the the top, but I hate all these large knobs and buttons sticking out of it. I'd keep two of the buttons but shorten them to sit flush with the body, and either chop the stalk off the Heiland(?) knob and have that sit flush or replace it with a screw or bolt.

I think the bottom is a bit plain, though I really like the clip thing on the side. Maybe a pommel of some kind?

thanks for the comments and opinions guys.
I know the buttons are a bit much, it was kind of an assumed choice but I will do some photoshop testing tonight and post them. I already did a test for the grips that I really like but the girlfriend doesn't :rolleyes
cheers

You could keep that one as a shoto and make a larger standard size version with grips as a companion (think Ahsoka). Then both of you will be happy and you'll have an awesome set :)

Last edited:
I just can't quit this thread...

Here are three sabers I've recently finished tinkering with.

IMG_7128.JPG

The first on the left is the one I mention some time earlier in the thread having rebuilt. It's a revision of the "prequel-y" lightsaber from my first post here on page 20, or something. I was never happy with the original construction because it really lacked a clear direction. This iteration is closer to what I really want, give or take some exceptions. Scrapping all the bits I didn't like and just working on figuring out what can be done with just the bare bones was the way to go for this. It's built on a simple sink tube (wanted to make it out of mostly store-bought parts) with lots of plastic, washers, and left-over bits and bobs from my camera parts box.

IMG_7129.JPG IMG_7135.JPG IMG_7134.JPG

The one in the middle was built with some inspiration drawn from the many assorted and varied lightsabers our @SethS has built. In particular, one he built with a Universal Speedgun flash. I was really drawn by the oblong "shroud" piece and many thanks to Seth for keeping an eye out on the 'Bay for me if one of these ever popped up.

The idea I was hooked by was to use that shroud piece as a starting point to build a katana inspired hilt; curved hilt with some kind of wrapping to make a diamond pattern. But then I ran across an image from one of the new cartoon series, while waiting for the flashgun to arrive and looking for inspiration, and realized just how lame an idea that was. I still wanted something reminiscent of the katana, but anything so on-the-nose like what I saw is not the way to go.

When I got the flashgun in hand, I just went from there and tinkered with it as I went. As it progressed, it became more of a challenge for me to do something I hadn't done before, or something I hadn't done yet. Some designs popped up here with leather wrapping, and as much as I don't like leather on my lightsabers, it was something I hadn't done. The same goes for a brass "activation plate." This build was turning into an ensemble of things I typically don't like.

Leather irks me for two reasons: 1) It is so closely tied with the evolution of humans that's it's hard for it not to read "Earth Human" to me, 2) There's no hiding how it it was put together. The brass plates on the Luke Hero and V3 bug me because it just looks so... cheap. But, as it was, I did my best despite my grimaces to achieve my katana-inspired-but-still-OT vision.

...And it still bothers me. I think what I did perfectly illustrates what I don't like about it, trying to incorporate the two ways I see leather applied to customs, and my awful stitching and gluing (leather and CA glue work beautifully, by the way) really don't help. I tried to hide the stitching where I could and break up the seams so there isn't a big "notice me" parting line on the wrapped bottom half.

Its got its share of problems, but not enough for me to bother fixing them. The emitter area, however, I am quite pleased with.

IMG_7137.JPG IMG_7139.JPG IMG_7142.JPG IMG_7141.JPG

Not much to say on the final piece to the right. It was just something I threw together with literal scraps. Mostly pieces from sink tubes, a really small flash unit I had lying around, and some copper tubing for my BMF model.

IMG_7145.JPG IMG_7144.JPG IMG_7143.JPG

Last edited:
I've been on a show for the last 3 months so I haven't posted in here much, but in the tiny bits of spare time I've been cobbling parts. I've refreshed half of what I've done before, and have half a done new ones near completion.

I'll return with a vengeance to this thread soon!

soonish.jpg

I just can't quit this thread...

Here are three sabers I've recently finished tinkering with.

View attachment 818165

The first on the left is the one I mention some time earlier in the thread having rebuilt. It's a revision of the "prequel-y" lightsaber from my first post here on page 20, or something. I was never happy with the original construction because it really lacked a clear direction. This iteration is closer to what I really want, give or take some exceptions. Scrapping all the bits I didn't like and just working on figuring out what can be done with just the bare bones was the way to go for this. It's built on a simple sink tube (wanted to make it out of mostly store-bought parts) with lots of plastic, washers, and left-over bits and bobs from my camera parts box.

View attachment 818166 View attachment 818168 View attachment 818167

The one in the middle was built with some inspiration drawn from the many assorted and varied lightsabers our @SethS has built. In particular, one he built with a Universal Speedgun flash. I was really drawn by the oblong "shroud" piece and many thanks to Seth for keeping an eye out on the 'Bay for me if one of these ever popped up.

The idea I was hooked by was to use that shroud piece as a starting point to build a katana inspired hilt; curved hilt with some kind of wrapping to make a diamond pattern. But then I ran across an image from one of the new cartoon series, while waiting for the flashgun to arrive and looking for inspiration, and realized just how lame an idea that was. I still wanted something reminiscent of the katana, but anything so on-the-nose like what I saw is not the way to go.

When I got the flashgun in hand, I just went from there and tinkered with it as I went. As it progressed, it became more of a challenge for me to do something I hadn't done before, or something I hadn't done yet. Some designs popped up here with leather wrapping, and as much as I don't like leather on my lightsabers, it was something I hadn't done. The same goes for a brass "activation plate." This build was turning into an ensemble of things I typically don't like.

Leather irks me for two reasons: 1) It is so closely tied with the evolution of humans that's it's hard for it not to read "Earth Human" to me, 2) There's no hiding how it it was put together. The brass plates on the Luke Hero and V3 bug me because it just looks so... cheap. But, as it was, I did my best despite my grimaces to achieve my katana-inspired-but-still-OT vision.

...And it still bothers me. I think what I did perfectly illustrates what I don't like about it, trying to incorporate the two ways I see leather applied to customs, and my awful stitching and gluing (leather and CA glue work beautifully, by the way) really don't help. I tried to hide the stitching where I could and break up the seams so there isn't a big "notice me" parting line on the wrapped bottom half.

Its got its share of problems, but not enough for me to bother fixing them. The emitter area, however, I am quite pleased with.

View attachment 818169 View attachment 818170 View attachment 818172 View attachment 818171

Not much to say on the final piece to the right. It was just something I threw together with literal scraps. Mostly pieces from sink tubes, a really small flash unit I had lying around, and some copper tubing for my BMF model.

View attachment 818175 View attachment 818174 View attachment 818173

That PT inspired saber is amazing! A perfect mix of elegance and ruggedness.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back