Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Klingon's reminding anyone else of this?

enemymine4.jpg

Well I like it. I think it looks colorful and exciting. Maybe more derivative of the JJ movies than I was expecting, but whatever. It's a modern look, which Trek desperately needs in order to stay relevant.

I mean, I'd love to see a '60s (or even '50s or '30s) styled take on Trek , but the only way to make that play to a wide audience would be as retro camp -- and that's never what Trek was about. It was always the future as we could best predict at the time the series was being made. And that means styles, looks, whatever, are going to change and be reinvented every few decades.

Well I like it. I think it looks colorful and exciting. Maybe more derivative of the JJ movies than I was expecting, but whatever. It's a modern look, which Trek desperately needs in order to stay relevant.

I mean, I'd love to see a '60s (or even '50s or '30s) styled take on Trek , but the only way to make that play to a wide audience would be as retro camp -- and that's never what Trek was about. It was always the future as we could best predict at the time the series was being made. And that means styles, looks, whatever, are going to change and be reinvented every few decades.

Exactly, this is what I have been saying since this was announced.

Colorful? :confused

I agree that things need updating, but what people are upset about is that it looks straight out of what is an alternate timeline. The JJ or Kelvin timeline is about the newest movies and everything in this trailer looks straight out of that timeline. If it had an updated look of TOS then that would be fine. I don't expect nor would I want the same sets from TOS showing up in a 2017 series.

Another thing I noticed was the spinning/turning/tilted camera shots which is another thing straight from the JJ verse. Watch the trailer again and then one of the JJ trailers and you'll see it. Even the way it's shot is nothing like the previous series.

Last edited:
I agree that things need updating, but what people are upset about is that it looks straight out of what is an alternate timeline. The JJ or Kelvin timeline is the newest movies and everything in this trailer looks straight out of that timeline. If it had an updated look of TOS then that would be fine.I don't expect nor would I want the same sets from TOS showing up in a 2017 series.

I am surprised they didn't develop an alternate updated look, to distinguish it from the movies, but on the other hand the JJ films are an "update" of TOS already. CBS may have figured they didn't need to reinvent the wheel here. I also have no trouble believing that two alternate timelines could look similar -- I mean, shoot, the Mirror Universe in TOS looked exactly like the Prime timeline in all but some details, and that was a reality inhabited by barbarians!

- - - Updated - - -

Colorful? :confused

Sure. The bright blues of the uniforms and lens flares, the saturated oranges and umbers of the desert planet, the greens of the Klingon ships -- there's a lot of color here.

I am surprised they didn't develop an alternate updated look, to distinguish it from the movies, but on the other hand the JJ films are an "update" of TOS already. CBS may have figured they didn't need to reinvent the wheel here. I also have no trouble believing that two alternate timelines could look similar -- I mean, shoot, the Mirror Universe in TOS looked exactly like the Prime timeline in all but some details, and that was a reality inhabited by barbarians!

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. The bright blues of the uniforms and lens flares, the saturated oranges and umbers of the desert planet, the greens of the Klingon ships -- there's a lot of color here.

A few flashes of color in an otherwise dreary palette?

This is what I think of when I think colorful....
71f36e388283e5967a55698ff3baa18d555a22be.jpg
2016-02-08-1454962808-6775415-startrekthenextgeneration.jpg

The alternate mirror universe looked exactly like the prime timelines and they interacted with each other. The JJ verse is it's own thing and completely separate from the prime universe. He didn't just update things, he completely changed the look of everything as well as the story line. From what I'm seeing in this trailer they didn't update things, they completely changed the look of everything they've shown so far.

ETA: Also, the time between Enterprise and TOS is around 100 years. The time between TOS and TNG is around 100 years. The time between Discovery and TOS is only 10 years.

Last edited:
I've been in modern day houses that look more advanced that the TOS set. You can't limit any new show to that level. Now if they're going warp 12, you've got a point.

Retro tech, in my opinion, is quite doable. I thought that they managed to do a pretty good job with that in Enterprise, something that both appealed to modern sensiblities while at the same time looked (in ways) more primitive than TOS. If they did it with Enterprise they could certainly do it with Discovery, they just have to make things look clunkier and less sleek. They could also go a long way by getting rid of holo projections, a tech that they clearly did not have in TOS, and outside of holodecks wasn't even used during TNG's timeline.

To mirror what others have said, this looks pure JJ inspired, with no connection to the prime universe at all. The design of the bridge, the wraparound glass viewscreen, the HUD, the space suits, the uniforms, the "Klingons", it was all straight out of the JJ universe. You could have told me this was the next movie, showing a flashback to the Kelvin, and I wouldn't even question it.
I'm guessing legally they aren't allowed to set this in the JJ timeline, but they're obviously aiming squarely for that audience, so why bother setting it so close to TOS and set around those events, and then have it bear no relation to that? They're trying to have it both ways, and failing miserably with at least one of those.

The Orville looks more legit Trek than this does. At least it knows it's a joke.

This, to me, looks very promising......as i've said in the past, a lot of people have a skewed perspective and rosy memory as to what Star Trek "was"...

..you have to remember that the tv shows were becoming tired copies of one another.....the films were getting worse and worse to a point where characters like Picard were totally different in film to how he was on TV.....

This JJ inspired Trek looks like it's taking the subject matter seriously, without drifting into fan pandering nostalgia.

Rich

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back