STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

guys, that is a total inside joke directed at GL, he always refers to them as laser swords.

I actually rather like the reference in-universe as well. Think about it; in the time after the Jedi were around, who was expected to know what a "lightsaber" was or meant? Anakin refers to Qui-Gon's weapon as a laser sword in Ep. I, and that was during the height of the Republic, albeit on an isolated world. Makes perfect sense that denizens across the rest of the galaxy would regard them with an equal misunderstanding, especially after the time of the Jedi...
Really conjures up imagery of underworld dwellers and uneducated criminals in my mind, which has always been my favorite part of SW.
I think it's a romantic thing, and, perhaps ironically, it actually deepens the immersion for me.

Right, and Anakin was "discovered" far younger then Luke, so he actually had Jedi training. Ezra is 14, older then Anakin but younger then Luke.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a funny feeling they hid it and it will come back in a later episode.

Thats exactly how I took it. When Kanan says earlier in the episode to get rid of it,Ezra and Zeb say "do we have to" which is what made me see it that way. I'd put money on it turning up later. :)

Ben

For those who do not understand why the inquisitor is not a sith and why he has a lightsaber with those functions, watch the behind the scenes video for Fighter Flight:

Also, I too like the use of the term laser sword. For some reason it made me feel like I did when I was 8 in 1977.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this show so far. I feel like decades of cynicism are washing away.

A different prop caught my eye this last episode. where Ezra opens a sort of laptop/decoder device.

also, just noticed that the pattern of red lights on the left is the same pattern (much smaller) seen in the black recess of the tantive corridors. I nice little detail.

example.png

love how this prop is perfect Star Wars, it could show up anywhere in the original trilogy and not stick out.

I liked this latest episode, "Rise of the Old Masters", I particularly like that shuttle that they launched from the Ghost. However, one thing about it bothers and that's that it looks very familiar for some reason like it was based on a piece of unused concept like the shuttle seen in Jedi, or something from the West End Games Star Wars RPG, or possibly even an old Kenner toy like the troop transport from "Fighter Flight".

One thing did bother me a bit about "Masters" though,I really thought that Kanan's initial training method was a bit dangerous. It doesn't seem like a very good idea to be training in one handed hand stands while having objects hurled at you while on top of a moving starship hundreds, if not thousands, of feet above the ground. Just as bad was training in how to use a lightsaber while on top of said starship, I was fully expecting Ezra to slice a nice gash in the Ghost at any moment.

I liked this latest episode, "Rise of the Old Masters", I particularly like that shuttle that they launched from the Ghost. However, one thing about it bothers and that's that it looks very familiar for some reason like it was based on a piece of unused concept like the shuttle seen in Jedi, or something from the West End Games Star Wars RPG, or possibly even an old Kenner toy like the troop transport from "Fighter Flight".

they did make a mini rig:

ISP-6.jpg

But if you are going to compare it to toys, I think it looks closer to this:

w-Sharc_1215636764.jpg

I love this show so far. I feel like decades of cynicism are washing away.

A different prop caught my eye this last episode. where Ezra opens a sort of laptop/decoder device.

also, just noticed that the pattern of red lights on the left is the same pattern (much smaller) seen in the black recess of the tantive corridors. I nice little detail.

View attachment 396977

love how this prop is perfect Star Wars, it could show up anywhere in the original trilogy and not stick out.

I'm not an expert, but those look like Imperial code cylinders in the center. Maybe a device also used to program forged Officer codes? According to canon they were used to access parts of the Death Star etc.

they did make a mini rig:

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2013/09/ISP-6.jpg

But if you are going to compare it to toys, I think it looks closer to this:

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/4/1/7/2/7/w-Sharc_1215636764.jpg

So it looks like it wasn't based directly on any toy like the troop carrier clearly was but it certainly looks like its designed was influenced by either one or both of those toys show above. Regardless, I really liked the design of that shuttle and hope they use it more.

For those who do not understand why the inquisitor is not a sith and why he has a lightsaber with those functions, watch the behind the scenes video for Fighter Flight:

http://youtu.be/VfVAs8ijn7A

Also, I too like the use of the term laser sword. For some reason it made me feel like I did when I was 8 in 1977.

That explanation of the lightsaber makes a certain amount of sense, but Maul windmilling was just for intimidation...you can't really fight like that. If he uses it to block lasers or something, fine. If he leaps into a sword fight with it twirling, he'd cut his "not a Sith" head off.

When it was single bladed with the cutlass-like handguard, I thought that was a fun new design.

The shuttle reminds me of a cross between that mini-rig and the unmade cargo-loading skiff that was going to have been able to fit between the Falcon's mandibles:

Mf-load2.jpg

Lutso, good catch on the code cylinders. I may have to make this thing as a slicer's prop. ;)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
That explanation of the lightsaber makes a certain amount of sense, but Maul windmilling was just for intimidation...you can't really fight like that.

Well I think the intimidation is the goal of what he is trying to achieve with the spinning. Like they said in the video, it's a cheat for his lack if skill. So far he has not fought with it spinning. Simply walking and throwing.

Just saw the new episode. Ezra was posing as an imperial cadet. For me, it was the best one yet. It was fun and thrilling. Definitely the most economical storytelling yet. So far, the show has felt very light on content. But this one got a lot out of 22 minutes. And it was nice that they planted some seeds for future characters.

One thing that got me thinking was that I would really appreciate some more factions going on. So far, the bad guys have always been bumbling stormtroopers. Let's have some pirates and bounty hunters. Or even some special ops they have to go against.

And I would LOVE for them to meet up with a rogue group of stormtroopers. Mercenaries, perhaps.

I saw a commercial for the "premiere" of Rebels on the regular Disney channel next Friday (which contained footage not in the premiere). Are they replaying the premiere or are they planning to run the series on that channel too, just a few episodes behind?

I saw a commercial for the "premiere" of Rebels on the regular Disney channel next Friday (which contained footage not in the premiere). Are they replaying the premiere or are they planning to run the series on that channel too, just a few episodes behind?

I speak with no actual insights but it would not support the info Disney has put out to date. Remember that the premiere of Rebels happened on the Disney Channel originally. So the "movie" aka Episode 1&2 playing that channel is not a new thing. I image the advertisement was for the edit with the added Vader scene which was shown only on ABC at this point but it looks that they are going to replay it on the Disney Channel now.

From a marketing view point, I believe they are using Disney Channel and ABC as a free taste (along with the episode of Droids in Distress which was a free iTunes download) to get watchers hooked that do not have access to DisneyXD. This way viewers will either insist their cable providers get Disney XD or buy into the Watch DisneyXD, the on demand service which you can access on Apple TV, computer, or mobile device.

I actually rather like the reference in-universe as well. Think about it; in the time after the Jedi were around, who was expected to know what a "lightsaber" was or meant? Anakin refers to Qui-Gon's weapon as a laser sword in Ep. I, and that was during the height of the Republic, albeit on an isolated world. Makes perfect sense that denizens across the rest of the galaxy would regard them with an equal misunderstanding, especially after the time of the Jedi...
Really conjures up imagery of underworld dwellers and uneducated criminals in my mind, which has always been my favorite part of SW.
I think it's a romantic thing, and, perhaps ironically, it actually deepens the immersion for me.

I always considered it like the military's usage of "gun" -- the average person might consider a pistol, shotgun or ak-47 a gun, but the military calls those weapons, not guns (gun being reserved for crew-served weapons such as artillery). Civilians call them laser swords, but a trained jedi would use the proper term "light saber".

Besides, with trillions of republic citizens and a few hundred jedi, how many civilians would ever even SEE a jedi in their lives at the republic's height, let alone be familiar with their terminology?

And speaking of "what billions of common people think of or how they would interact with a few hundred jedi" I've always thought the common citizens would look askance at a government where unelected "mystical jedi knights" have large influence on republic policy.

From a marketing view point, I believe they are using Disney Channel and ABC as a free taste (along with the episode of Droids in Distress which was a free iTunes download) to get watchers hooked that do not have access to DisneyXD. This way viewers will either insist their cable providers get Disney XD or buy into the Watch DisneyXD, the on demand service which you can access on Apple TV, computer, or mobile device.

Unless you have Time Warner and basic basic cable in which case you're screwed and have to find alternative means of watching if you don't want to have to buy it on iTunes.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back