Solo: A Star Wars Story

I barely follow star wars and I've known for years that maul has been back, I find it hard that some of the diehards were unaware of his return.

I barely follow star wars and I've known for years that maul has been back, I find it hard that some of the diehards were unaware of his return.
Old guys dont typically watch CGI cartoons. At least I dont anyway and Im not that old. Also Im going to say it.

I never thought Maul was that cool in the first place. The double light saber was cool, but they made him do so much stupid stuff in TPM, and his dumb crown of horns with the one in the center of his head just looked silly to me. I did however like his red and black make up.

I never thought Maul was that cool in the first place. The double light saber was cool, but they made him do so much stupid stuff in TPM, and his dumb crown of horns with the one in the center of his head just looked silly to me. I did however like his red and black make up.
Same I never ever understood the hype. Typical non-character, he is basically a boss fight.

Old guys dont typically watch CGI cartoons. At least I dont anyway and Im not that old. Also Im going to say it.

Yeah, I don't watch any of the cartoons or read the books. I like to get my references from THE MOVIES. Where they should be. After the OT ended, I did read some of the novels in the EU, so I know of some of those characters, but that's about it. I really hate that Disney expects SW fans to just get any info that's not in the movies from companion books and cartoons. Sure, it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but C'MON!

I actually thought Maul was pretty cool and one of the only things good about TPM. I thought it was pretty stupid to kill off his character (I thought) so early in the series.

Ya wanna really cringe, Rob?? Imagine Harrison Ford speaking shyriiwook to Chewie--either as his cool, badass young self in the first couple films, or as the doddering old man in TFA. We would've thrown up in our popcorn.

I think it is permanent damage. Because it never happens again, and there were many times when it would have, if Han could indeed speak shyriiwook. Thank God this is the first time we've heard it. But to show it at all is inexcusable.

The Wook

I was fairly invested and optimistic until this point. Scenes like this are why I will only go to Star Wars movies alone forevermore, because I don't want to project my disappointment on to my friends. It was unspoken, but palpable. :(

Yeah, I don't watch any of the cartoons or read the books. I like to get my references from THE MOVIES...

FWIW, I totally felt the same as you. However, you might be pleasantly surprised by The Clone Wars. There are some throwaway episodes for sure, but for the most part the last 3 seasons were really fulfilling. The last handful of episodes actually had me on the edge of my seat. And Asajj Ventress is a complex character you can't help but fall in love with.

I have to confess, I see some Great Space Coaster influence in Han's speeder (mega-props if you even know what I'm talking about).

gsc.jpg

Can you please tell me which channels are doing that.

Apart from one, the rest with large numbers are saying its up to people if they want to see it or not. Some are saying they wont see it but are in no way encouraging others to do the same. Channels with a very small viewer base can hardly be responsible for igniting a world scale boycott.
World class bulls@#%ers, John talks Star Wars, and geeks n gamers, to name 3.

I don't put much stock in any boycott making a dent though.

I'm not seeing it, but it's more like I'm not really interested in seeing it - less so after seeing mostly lukewarm (no pun) responses.

A Star Wars will film should elicit things like "you've GOT to see this movie!", not "it's fun, but..."

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

It's not just YouTube. Pretty silly - and even disgusting at the some of the reasoning and misguided logic being pushed around for this Star Wars boycott. Yes, the boycott is real and while I'm not sure it has a lot to do with the less-than-stellar box office, it is most definitely affecting RT scores.

This sounds about right.

The fact that the audience “want to see” score went from 70% down to 37% and then back up after its release suggest boycott meddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the movie with pretty low expectations. It was a decent job IMO. Better than I expected considering all the strikes it had against it going in. This thing felt a lot more "finished" than Rogue One did. They say the actual Solo script didn't change in all the reshoots and that's probably why.

I liked the Kessel run. I'm actually glad they didn't "cheat it" and make it not really an achievement somehow. We love to talk about how Han was an overconfident braggart but he was supposed to be a pretty good pilot too.

As for Han speaking Chewie's language, I didn't mind it because he wasn't doing it regularly. It was something he just did a couple times when he had to. I accept the notion that humans & Wookies can both learn to understand each other's languages but their vocal chords/mouths are too different for either one to speak the other's words very well.

Alden's Han never became Harrison's Han for me. Maggie Gyllenhall was never really the same character as Katie Holmes for me in the Nolan Batman movies either. It was an issue but it didn't totally kill the Solo movie because the character felt relatively congruent. I could mostly picture a younger Harrison-Han in Alden's place in the scene and the dialogue/actions would not have seemed wrong. Alden didn't seem nearly as badass as 25yo Harrison would have been in the role but we all knew that before the movie started.

Donald Glover was a good Lando, and it did feel a lot like Lando, but I could argue that his character got hurt worse by this movie than Han Solo did.

Same kinda here. Yes, I have my own droid, and an X-WIng themed motorcycle complete with cannons and engines, but wouldn't say I'm a diehard fan - and knew Maul had made it back with some robot spider legs at first in the cartoons - though I never watched them, I just knew since the internet is that big, and it's kinda hard to miss it. What I didn't know was him becoming a crime lord, since I never watched the show, though I did see where he had one last fight with old Obi-Wan and was killed FINALLY - however being it was old Obi-Wan, that had to have happened after Solo.

Kinda obvious, and to add to this fire, I loved Solo, though like ANY OTHER MOVIE EVER, there were some characters I didn't like so much - ahem, L3-37. K2 was a much better "new" droid character - by far.

Was it Maul? At first glance I thought so too, but Maul was dead before this film, right?
Yeah, I don't watch any of the cartoons or read the books. I like to get my references from THE MOVIES. Where they should be. After the OT ended, I did read some of the novels in the EU, so I know of some of those characters, but that's about it. I really hate that Disney expects SW fans to just get any info that's not in the movies from companion books and cartoons. Sure, it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but C'MON!
Maul came back way before disney got involved.
Not the point, but thanks for letting me know. I guess I should have said Lucasfilm. :rolleyes

More specifically, Lucas. There was a "what-if" anthology comic from Dark Horse, where one artist liked the fanciful idea that Maul survived and had some robot legs and tracked Obi-Wan down on Tatooine. It was never meant to be canon -- just like the rest of the stories in the comic. But George liked it, and had Filoni put it in Clone Wars, in an arc written by Katie Lucas. An arc which totally borked Maul's EU backstory, Ventress' EU backstory, took away 90% of the menace of the Nightsisters of Dathomir, and gave us Maul's brother, Savage Opress.

I actually thought Maul was pretty cool and one of the only things good about TPM. I thought it was pretty stupid to kill off his character (I thought) so early in the series.

Ditto. One of my big gripes with TPM. And, expanded, my annoyance with the revolving door of villains in the Prequels overall.

Actually, I saw more of what could be a early to mid-60's Ford in Han's speeder from the first glance and throughput that scene - from the 61 Thunderbird to the 64 Galaxie.

They actually deliberately drew heavy inspiration, for reasons you should be able to guess, from the early Ford (get it?) Falcon (get it?).

24311d1351609114-dropping-falcon-body-onto-different-chassis-drivetrain-colins-car-011.jpg

This box office wasn't shocking to anyone paying any attention to Star Wars fans. The Last Jedi was reviled. Fans were livid. No one asked for this. It seemed like a complete cash in with no purpose and I think that one two punch killed this film. Disney should have waited a year for people to forget about how much they hated The Last Jedi, but even then Star Wars fans have prequel PTSD and they also have Disney PTSD after The Last Jedi basically gave the middle finger to Star Wars.

World class bulls@#%ers, John talks Star Wars, and geeks n gamers, to name 3.

I don't put much stock in any boycott making a dent though.

I'm not seeing it, but it's more like I'm not really interested in seeing it - less so after seeing mostly lukewarm (no pun) responses.

A Star Wars will film should elicit things like "you've GOT to see this movie!", not "it's fun, but..."

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

World class BS is the one I was talking about, John talks Star Wars has just 4000 subs and is barely on the radar so could hardly influence hundreds of thousands of people and Jeremy of Geeks and Gamers continually pushes the message that just because he wont be seeing the movie doesnt mean that others should follow him.

This stuff about an official boycott is just another example of some trying to demonise a group of people for wanting change at the highest level and deflect from the real problems.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back