Firefly "Vera" Build - New Pics!

Re: Firefly "Vera" Build - WIP

Spent 12 hours yesterday grinding steel! Totally underestimated how long that part would take. But all good as I still enjoyed every bit of it. I haven't worked a lot with metal, so it's all good learning curve stuff for me.

All kit parts have first coat of primer-filler. (When I say "coat" it's like 3 or 4 actual coats at a time). Of course they will all get a sand and second coat of primer-filler.

6ayA0Ux.jpg

So this is what I'm starting with, Denix AK47 receiver. Vera uses a Saiga Shotgun receiver, but the Saiga is based off the AK, so very similar, although some mods will be made for accuracy.

eS4yEAj.jpg

Lot's to grind off the AK as the bottom surface needs to be flat...

XWI575z.jpg

EryuytR.jpg

That took longer than you'd think! :lol

My spare receiver is missing the charge handle for the slide...

7yv6Xjd.jpg

As I've now opted not to use the existing AK trigger (I'll spring-load the trigger that comes with the kit), I'll use the AK trigger to replace the charge handle...

zewteQu.jpg

GehsT8V.jpg

W5Qq2e7.jpg

Q6LyZpE.jpg

YZxnZEg.jpg

HquHQhh.jpg

QYKZnis.jpg

I7XnJZK.jpg

That'll work!

The grip goes pretty much where the original grip use to attach...

HALTwAy.jpg

1KYJH81.jpg

C0nz23b.jpg

NzJlXMG.jpg

obidWxq.jpg

I'm super stoked how tight the grip is once attached, which is really important when using a plastic grip for a metal receiver! ha ha.

The kit is designed to work with an airsoft Saiga and comes with a cavity for the grip to plug into. I'll glue this in to use for extra reinforcing...

xdQAYEE.jpg

StGctbZ.jpg

Ironically, when I added a screw either side of the receiver (to make it more accurate to the Saiga), they both skimmed the top of the cavity, pinning it down. That grip ain't gonna budge!

pq7saao.jpg

PCDqVQm.jpg

Vera has a short upper "fake" barrel. Found a nice steel tube for this...

2TAL0NM.jpg

Q7YUEHg.jpg

zBBiKA8.jpg

This front section had to be ground back to allow the fore grip to slide over...

ERvPMpP.jpg

3Jkr015.jpg

Also, rather than have the existing Denix barrel and the tube barrel extension just meet together, I opted to grind away some of the Denix barrel so the tube could slide over. This "sleeve" will give the barrel extension more strength...

iqOJsKT.jpg

qmZssKB.jpg

6Br482J.jpg

TXohLzo.jpg

After 11 hours of cutting, grinding and filing these bits are ready for a lick of paint...

NvC5tpB.jpg

9xMGMWf.jpg

I need a lie-down... :sleep

Thanks mate! How's Texas treating you? We were in Dallas/Fortworth last year.. we want to move there! Not kidding. We loved it!

Its actually not too bad right now, hahah. End of the week DFW will start hitting the high 90s, though. The heat is on its way.

I have to say, credit where credit is due. Doing a build like this and stopping to take pictures on basically every step has to be tedious. So my hats off to you on that.

Its actually not too bad right now, hahah. End of the week DFW will start hitting the high 90s, though. The heat is on its way.

I have to say, credit where credit is due. Doing a build like this and stopping to take pictures on basically every step has to be tedious. So my hats off to you on that.

We’re still thawing out from a Canadian winter. Bring on the heat!

Ha ha yeah my first few builds I’d forget to take pics as I went. But I like seeing detailed build threads and I’ve learnt a lot because of them. So I try remember to take them for each step.

Love your build threads! And Vera being my very favorite prop gun, well, I love this thread even more. I've been looking for a decent kit for a while so I can Vera out one of my showtime screen used stunt guns. I have a folded version all glued together, and I have a version missing a whole bunch of stuff.

Hey, what area of Canada are you living in? Did I ask that before?

Love your build threads! And Vera being my very favorite prop gun, well, I love this thread even more. I've been looking for a decent kit for a while so I can Vera out one of my showtime screen used stunt guns. I have a folded version all glued together, and I have a version missing a whole bunch of stuff.

Hey, what area of Canada are you living in? Did I ask that before?

Thanks mate, appreciate your kind words. Yeah Vera is a pretty special prop. So unique! I'm seriously enjoying this build.

This kit is awesome and I'd definitely recommend it. It's specifically designed to work with a CYMA Airsoft Saiga shotgun. But it works well with my Denix AK. JOATRASH FX did an all metal build on a Denix AK. Pretty amazing replica. In fact many think his pics (found online) are the actual screen used Vera. Lol. For example on imfdb...
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly#.22Callahan_Fullbore_Autolock_.27Vera.27.22

However, this kit is even more accurate again and when built on the Saiga it's as close as you'll get to the real thing. JOATRASH FX prides himself on accuracy and he nails it time and again. This kit is no exception. Awesome that you have a screen used showtime gun! Would love to see what you could do with a kit like this.

We're out in New Brunswick at the moment, but the plan is to head to Texas sometime this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

As mentioned Vera is built on a Saiga shotgun receiver and I'm using an AK receiver. They are very similar (the AK was the base design for the Saiga), but the AK is missing some details that I will add for accuracy. As it's just cosmetic additions, I'll be doing them in styrene.

First, draw up what I'm going for...

mXrCMdN.jpg

Using cardboard to make templates...

ujKlFQK.jpg

jnwn9Up.jpg

Cut the styrene parts...

sUJEQf6.jpg

Actually, to tell the truth, it's not actual styrene as I don't have any here. What I do have is empty tubs of protein. So I cut up the lid for these parts. Not my first prop partially made out of a plastic tub and it won't be the last! :lol

S2wmFa4.jpg

h5e1M9n.jpg

While not perfect, she's now a lot more accurate. And most of the remaining inaccuracies will be covered up by Vera's components. :thumbsup

NNDZw5l.jpg

Last edited:

Just discovered you can buy these side rail plates for pretty cheap. I'll definitely pick one of these up and replace my protein tub parts! Lol.

IzvRv4i.jpg

But that can be done later on. Not sure how I'd go picking up one here in Canada. :rolleyes But as we're heading to the US in July for a holiday, I'll grab one then down there. Easy. Thanks America! :thumbsup

Busy weekend! But got lots done.

Spent half a day last week wet-sanding all the parts then washing them, ready for paint...

avFhPwP.jpg

As I don't have a compressor, I can only use spray cans, which made this build tricky. But we made it work.

So a full day later we have coloured parts...

REImHSz.jpg

The black parts were painted flat black, then clear coated in a satin clear...

GeRxjL4.jpg

I ordered a side rail mount (for like $10) from China, so I opted to pull the styrene off the receiver to paint it.

The "brass" and "polished aluminium" parts turned out great. Both were a Dupli-color paint, then clear coated with a Testors lacquer...

jhXjVvc.jpg

For the blue tinted parts, I sprayed them with a light metallic blue (a Dupli-color car paint), then lightly dusted them with silver until I got the right tint...

PeV5VSa.jpg

I tried the same technique with the purple, using a Testors model paint...

4fwEIQP.jpg

But for some reason, when I tried to "dust" them with silver, it just didn't look right. So instead I painted them silver, then dusted them with the purple...

koZzBn8.jpg

Really happy with this result. The purple tint is more subtle on Vera than the blue, so I have tried to replicate that. But you can see the difference when comparing it to the silver. Bit hard to show them properly in this light as the shadows make the tint look uneven, but it's actually pretty good.

Next up... the wood finish grips! :confused

Last edited:

To tackle the wood grips I first tried to paint a wood effect (after watching a bunch of youtube vids). This was a total fail, so much so I won't even bother posting a pic. Lol.

It occurred to me that a wood grain vinyl wrap could work, so I looked into getting some off ebay. In the meantime I found a nice piece of hardwood and considered making them from scratch out of wood. While this would be quite the challenge I think I would enjoy giving it a go.

sTOMVoK.jpg

But then I was wandering through the building supply store (looking for screws for Vera) and came across a stack of wood grain effect vinyl. So I figured I'd give it a go and see how it turns out.

cLPo001.jpg

xi8b6pA.jpg

With all the curves I took to it with the hairdryer and immediately could see that this was going to look pretty good.

UYAdc4V.jpg

Ag8BOgc.jpg

XSbMi40.jpg

AE2yKUV.jpg

d1nQtqU.jpg

More time with hairdryer, getting everything to look right, including the fore grip grooves...

96CnsjI.jpg

na1Av1N.jpg

I'm stoked with how these turned out! So much so I'm not going to bother trying to make them out of wood. At least for now. Ha ha.

Today I spent a good few hours hunting for bolts and screws for Vera. Stay tuned...

To tackle the wood grips I first tried to paint a wood effect (after watching a bunch of youtube vids). This was a total fail, so much so I won't even bother posting a pic. Lol.

It occurred to me that a wood grain vinyl wrap could work, so I looked into getting some off ebay. In the meantime I found a nice piece of hardwood and considered making them from scratch out of wood. While this would be quite the challenge I think I would enjoy giving it a go.

https://i.imgur.com/sTOMVoK.jpg

But then I was wandering through the building supply store (looking for screws for Vera) and came across a stack of wood grain effect vinyl. So I figured I'd give it a go and see how it turns out.

https://i.imgur.com/cLPo001.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xi8b6pA.jpg

With all the curves I took to it with the hairdryer and immediately could see that this was going to look pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/UYAdc4V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ag8BOgc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XSbMi40.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AE2yKUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/d1nQtqU.jpg

More time with hairdryer, getting everything to look right, including the fore grip grooves...

https://i.imgur.com/96CnsjI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/na1Av1N.jpg

I'm stoked with how these turned out! So much so I'm not going to bother trying to make them out of wood. At least for now. Ha ha.

Today I spent a good few hours hunting for bolts and screws for Vera. Stay tuned...
As I was reading your post, I was thinking to myself "he should just make them out of wood", then I scrolled down...

They look absolutely fabulous! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The vinyl wood grain they make now sure is a lot better than what they put on station wagons in the 70s.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As I was reading your post, I was thinking to myself "he should just make them out of wood", then I scrolled down...

They look absolutely fabulous! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The vinyl wood grain they make now sure is a lot better than what they put on station wagons in the 70s.

Ha ha, we had one of those! :lol

Just popping in to say this is a fantastic buildup. Now I want red filler-primer haha. (The stuff I use is grey.)

The woods pieces came out great! Very clever and convincing :thumbsup

Thanks, they turned out better than expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Just popping in to say this is a fantastic buildup. Now I want red filler-primer haha. (The stuff I use is grey.)

Thank you good sir! Ha ha, yeah the red primer has become a bit of a thing. I went back to grey for a can and thought - this is boring! :lol

Tell me more about this vinyl, it looks amazing but I've got to know how it holds on. Adhesive, or what? And how sturdy is it for prop handling?

This Vera build's flat out amazing, and I'm SUPER impressed with all the detail work you put into it. Keep on keepin' on!

Cut and glued in some pins...

v3Fq1w2.jpg

If you haven't noticed, Vera has a tonne of screws! I literally spent hours walking around home hardware stores and Canadian Tire hunting for what was needed. All-in-all I did pretty well, though some are not exactly accurate. For example, some of my button screws are hex instead of allen.

bEH7cE7.jpg

Had this tray kicking around which was perfect for organising the different screws for different parts...

5KkoMhi.jpg

Rather than drill a million holes in Vera by hand (I don't have a drill press), I figured I'd get better placement by cutting off the heads and gluing them exactly where they should be. I painted them first, which turned out to be a mistake. When I was cutting each screw, the metal heated up and the paint went soft. So when the screw head hit the floor it ruined the paint. To somewhat counter this, I put a tub of cold water under the vice for the heads to fall into. This stopped them from being ruined...

Cd0KVq5.jpg

None of the stores had extra large set screws, so I'd planned to use allen head bolts as they will look the part beyond close inspection...

NWk42AG.jpg

But then rummaging through the father-in-laws workshop I found a tub of brass compressor hose attachments and low-and-behold... extra large set screws! Well, actually hose plugs, but they are pretty much the same thing...

pcbfafM.jpg

The grip has a stainless slotted set screw in the bottom. I couldn't find a stainless slot screw, let alone a set screw! So I made a faux one out of a dome head...

CNrJZeF.jpg

av6y6HE.jpg

Next up, bullets...

Last edited:

Some creative solutions there. Things are moving right along.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back