ROTJ DL-44 new reference

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Looks like we have some new info on the ROTJ DL-44, at least one of them. I'm debating ordering this catalog myself. I wish they had an online version to look at.

But they did give us some info.

"Headlining this phenomenal event is Harrison Ford’s "Han Solo" hero blaster movie prop used in the original Star Wars trilogy film "Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" (Twentieth Century Fox, 1983). This presentation at auction of one of the most iconic sci-fi weapons in the history of film comes upon the 35th anniversary of the film’s release and will highlight the exhibition and sale of the never before seen Collection of "The James L. Schoppe Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Production Archive." Offered for the first time, the blaster is estimated to sell around $300,000-$500,000.

Actor Harrison Ford as "Han Solo" is seen using the blaster in many scenes throughout "Return of the Jedi." This original production-used BlasTech DL-44 blaster prop weapon was custom made specifically for the film, built on a metal working Mauser C96 Broomhandle with additional found parts, greblies and cast resin pieces added on. One of three "Han Solo" blasters made for and used in the film, the production created one practical (blank fire) version rented and two non-firing versions. Julien’s Auctions HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS auction event will offer one of the two non-firing movie prop weapons made for and used in the film.

Once production was completed, the film’s Property Master Peter Hancock presented Art Director James L. Schoppe with the "Han Solo" blaster and other props. Schoppe has kept this blaster and his memorabilia archive intact for the past 35 years."
http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2018/hollywood-legends/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a different version of the double scope ring blaster we've seen photos of.
You can tell by the milled shapes above the trigger on the left side.
The (obviously) black Delrin flash hider is a cross between the single & double scope ring blasters we've seen.
Look at the number of lines and the length of the shapes at the back end.

The top piston halve on the right side is held in place by a Phillips head screw.
The bottom two seem be the same height above the magazine floor plate, and both held in place by a feature-less rod thru the magazine well.

The lighting conditions are far better for these auction photos than the photos taken 25+ years ago.
Just as paint was chipped off the other blaster, we can now see that the bracket is white Delrin IMO.
White Delrin extra parts were sold by Prop Store, and later added to a MGC that was itself auctioned off a year after the sale of said parts.

blaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 02.pngblaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 03.pngblaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 04.pngblaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 05.png
blaster DL-44 ROTJ 2 scope rings 03a.jpgblaster DL-44 ROTJ 2 scope rings 04.jpgblaster DL-44 ROTJ collage 1.png
blaster DL-44 ROTJ Stembridge rebuild PIH 31 108a.png

Ham Solo should find this interesting.

Attachments

• blaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 02.png
    blaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 02.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 1,606
  • blaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 03.png
    blaster DL-44 ROTJ double scope rings B Juliens 03.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 566
Last edited by a moderator:
Did Jason, order a copy of the catelog? I'm just curious if it might be a good reference book for any other SW props. I saw the pics of the Scout Trooper blaster and the ewok tomahawk. Just curious about anything else there might be.

Jason has added a very nice article regarding his involvement in cataloguing the upcoming auction. There are a lot of pictures.

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...-jedi-to-be-sold-by-juliens-auctions-in-june/

Thank you Jason for posting.

No rivets to drill out unless you want to build this version, as rivets are correct in the other 2.

Did Jason, order a copy of the catelog? I'm just curious if it might be a good reference book for any other SW props. I saw the pics of the Scout Trooper blaster and the ewok tomahawk. Just curious about anything else there might be.

Hello,

Basically the three props I photographed and provided a preview of are the only props that were in the Schoppe collection. Everything else will be paper props and photogrpahs. There will be photos of everything in the catalog, but there is so much material the photo style will not show everything in full, but spread out to give an idea of quantity, with the descriptions in the catalog. So I don't know that it will provide much of interest in terms of reference material. Also, all photos will be on Julien's Live once the catalog is made available there, so you can go through and preview to decide if you want the printed catalog, as well as save the digital copies of the photos.

Jason

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back