Interstellar (Post-release)

Also I couldn't help by think how Roddenberry-esque this movie was
It had more spirit of Star Trek than the JJ movies did.
Inspiring
Hopeful
Optimistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw it a second time, this time in Imax. Things made more sense after the 2nd viewing. Although I am still not sure how Cooper was going to get to Brand if the worm hole was closed and the Ranger had no hyper sleep capabilities??

Saw it a second time, this time in Imax. Things made more sense after the 2nd viewing. Although I am still not sure how Cooper was going to get to Brand if the worm hole was closed and the Ranger had no hyper sleep capabilities??

Did the wormhole close? I thought it was just the tesseract that closed? Then again I only saw it once.

Did the wormhole close? I thought it was just the tesseract that closed? Then again I only saw it once.

Maybe I am wrong, I thought all of it closed. Maybe the Cooper station just got to Saturn? If not why didn't they send anyone through the wormhole if it was still open? Murphy knew about Brand so I assume everyone did?

Jonathon Nolan interview...

IGN: Yeah, I loved the moment when they return to the ship and 23 years had passed.

Nolan: Yeah, and we did all the math on it. Those phenomena would be very extreme. You'd have to have a black hole with a certain amount of spin and a planet that's in a certain position. But one thing is certain: it's not only the distances involved, the space travel, that becomes awe-inspiring; it's the degree to which -- things that matter to us, the lifespan of our children, all these things -- get pushed and pulled around in ways that are brutal. You lose time. The idea in earlier drafts of the script was that Cooper returns to a human species that has taken that first step out and is beginning to prepare for the next step. But the one thing you know about wormholes is, they're not real. Wormholes don't exist because the only way they would exist is if they were seeded with exotic material created by an intelligence far beyond our own. Something would have to make one. So the idea with the film was that it was a wormhole that leads us to a place that creates an opportunity for us and then disappears. By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.
IGN: And he has to try and get to Brand in this little ship?
Nolan: That's the idea.
------------------------------------

So Cooper is really making a leap of faith and throwing himself into the unknown to "find a way".
What will he find and will he get back to her?

My question is where did the wormhole take them? To the center of the Milky Way?

-The Truth is Out There-

Another galaxy with a super massive black hole, I would assume at it's center since our own galaxy has one.
I think that perhaps that having the right super massive blackhole was somehow necessary to create the wormhole in the first place.
Perhaps there was no choice. Just conjecture on my part. Even pan-dimensional super science humanity probably has limits on what it can do.

Another galaxy with a super massive black hole, I would assume at it's center since our own galaxy has one.
I think that perhaps that having the right super massive blackhole was somehow necessary to create the wormhole in the first place.
Perhaps there was no choice. Just conjecture on my part. Even pan-dimensional super science humanity probably has limits on what it can do.

Yeah, I don't see how Cooper is going to find Brand without a wormhole taking him back to the same system. Even with hyper sleep, it would take millions of years to get to her. And I didn't even hear mention of star charts being used to record the location.

TARS was reset, so unless Cooper had him download all the data back to him, I doubt the two of them could pull off a wormhole themselves.

IMO, Nolan should have left the wormhole open. I thought that's what Cooper Station was, a midpoint between humanity and Edmunds planet. Guess I need a rewatch.

-The Truth is Out There-

Yeah, I don't see how Cooper is going to find Brand without a wormhole taking him back to the same system. Even with hyper sleep, it would take millions of years to get to her. And I didn't even hear mention of star charts being used to record the location.

TARS was reset, so unless Cooper had him download all the data back to him, I doubt the two of them could pull off a wormhole themselves.

IMO, Nolan should have left the wormhole open. I thought that's what Cooper Station was, a midpoint between humanity and Edmunds planet. Guess I need a rewatch.

-The Truth is Out There-

Given the experiences that Cooper just had, he might be opened to possibilities that others may not be as receptive to.
He may have had something in mind, he surely looked determined.

I'm really not sure what movie you guys saw.
I think we have become TOO critical to the point we forget it's just a movie.
I found it to be one of the most beautiful thought provoking movies I have ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the same film as you. I saw it through MY eyes. And the POINT of film making is to make you forget its a movie.

I love film. If you make a slap stick comedy or a hard Science Sci-Fi film I will accept it at face value. But, if you fail to create a world that I believe in by making large "mistakes" within the fiction then thats all I can see and the film will fail for me. Its not as if I look for holes. If the holes are too many or too large my suspension of belief crumbles and then Im left feeling disappointed. If this film didn't take itself so seriously a few issues, like the silly dialogue and the cardboard characterizations might have gone unnoticed but Nolan tried for lofty. If your going to RAISE my expectations by trying to blend Hard Science (even if its cutting edge theoretical) and all the other elements that were in motion and you fail to deliver on the simple deliverables of any film Im going to notice. Hey, mistakes are going to happen, no film is perfect. For this viewer, and thats the only thing thats important to me, it failed. If it worked for you, good! Im happy that you were able to enjoy the film.

Critical? Hella yes...Cause I love movies. TOO critical? Thats a value and qualitative analysis about someone else's life. Not for anyone to say.

photo 4.JPG

Last edited:
Didn't he solve the last piece of the black hole puzzle in the movie so that they can now control black holes at the end of the movie? I thought that was the entire point of dropping TARS in, so he could nail down the singularity of the black hole. Then when Coop is in the black hole he says something along the lines of "The black hole was put here by us!"

I'm not as critical of the theoretical science behind the film as I am with basic character development. Any good film needs realistic/interesting believable characters. Interstellar did not have this. A few examples:

Murph being angry her dad left her as a child - Yeah, makes sense.
But then . . .
Murph at age 28, working under the man that sent her dad off planet. She now understands why her dad had to do what was necessary to save all of humanity on earth and has dedicated her life as well towards the same cause, yet she is still angry at her dad and refuses to communicate with him until the age of 28? And then she only sends him one message. It's just not logical character development.
Then, to top it off, as Murph is a happy old lady on her death bed, she claims she always knew he would come back, like she was never angry with him, and then after 5 minutes she sends him on his way. No word of his son. No hugs or any emotion at all from the extended family. Wha? Just a real strangely constructed scene far more unrealistic than any 5th dimensional black hole.

I'm not as critical of the theoretical science behind the film as I am with basic character development. Any good film needs realistic/interesting believable characters. Interstellar did not have this. A few examples:

Murph being angry her dad left her as a child - Yeah, makes sense.
But then . . .
Murph at age 28, working under the man that sent her dad off planet. She now understands why her dad had to do what was necessary to save all of humanity on earth and has dedicated her life as well towards the same cause, yet she is still angry at her dad and refuses to communicate with him until the age of 28? And then she only sends him one message. It's just not logical character development.
Then, to top it off, as Murph is a happy old lady on her death bed, she claims she always knew he would come back, like she was never angry with him, and then after 5 minutes she sends him on his way. No word of his son. No hugs or any emotion at all from the extended family. Wha? Just a real strangely constructed scene far more unrealistic than any 5th dimensional black hole.

Women, amirite?...

as Murph is a happy old lady on her death bed, she claims she always knew he would come back, like she was never angry with him, and then after 5 minutes she sends him on his way. No word of his son. No hugs or any emotion at all from the extended family. Wha? Just a real strangely constructed scene far more unrealistic than any 5th dimensional black hole.

All the same thoughts went through my head...totally bizarre scene.

I had to use my imagination more during the Earthly "conclusion" of the film, than any of the open-universe exploration.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back