Who saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters?

I was 24 at the time I saw it. Went with a bartender friend and his girlfriend. overall I was disappointed. I generally like Robert Wise Direction, after all, he also directed Day the Earth Stood Still. Even his skills as a director couldn't help a lame script.

Given the opportunity, would you merge with V'ger?
Take that leap into who knows what happened next.
Granted it might have been a bit easier for Decker to decide that
since his GF had already been sucked up into the situation.

Why would they?

At the time this was seen as a Failure and a disaster that cost Roddenberry his control over the franchise untill they grudgingly gave it back for Next Gen and cast doubt over whether there would be any more Movies.

Only recently has it been remembered fondly.

This Movie did not exist or was acknowledged faint heartedly by fans back in the day

What's odd is they never revisited this merger in Trek.

Given the opportunity, would you merge with V'ger?
Take that leap into who knows what happened next.
Granted it might have been a bit easier for Decker to decide that
since his GF had already been sucked up into the situation.

Haha, I was so annoyed by Decker. When he said "I WANT THIS."
I was all "Go! Go! yes please!

I was 9 years old when I saw it in the theatre. The Klingons being "assimilated" scared the crap out of me, as did Ilia-droid breaking through the exam room door. Oh and that "transport gone wrong scene" (those screams gave me nightmares for weeks!).

Otherwise---- I was hooked on Trek since!

Kevin

Yeah, I was there opening weekend in 1979. I went with a group of friends who were also Trek fans, and we all walked out of the theater with pretty much the same opinion--the Enterprise looked wonderful, the effects were decent, the musical score was "good but not great" except for the Klingon theme, but we all felt they were trying too hard to compete with Star Wars and put more emphasis on the effects and less on the characters. Bones was there in all of his cantankerous glory, but we felt we got a watered-down version of Kirk and that a completely Vulcan Spock (now that he had undergone the Kolinahr ritual to purge his human emotions) was unlikable until after his mind meld with V'ger returned him to the Spock we were familiar with. And don't get me started on the "onesie" uniforms. So we were happy to see new Trek, but weren't fond of the direction they had taken until Wrath of Khan, which was more like the Star Trek we were all familiar with.

By the way this little guy is coming out soon if you want a little piece of what was going to be and wasn't, at least in
this reality.

https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Article/star-trek-starships-uss-enterprise-phase-ii-concept

Star_Trek_USS_Enterprise-Phase_II_side2.jpg

Ironically, TMP is the only Trek movie I have NEVER seen in the theater and it's slowly become my favorite.

I was 5 at the time and had just started watching the TV Show in the-runs, that year, after picking up a MEGO TV Series Spock action figure for my birthday at the local GAMBLES hardware store (I had no idea who he was but the action figure looked cool).

It's a gorgeous movie with solid performances and one of the best soundtracks of all time. I really wish it would get a re-release in the theater:

Last edited by a moderator:
I Also was 15, it was a packed theater and an engaged audience. The opening with the flyby of the K'Tinga D-7's with that awesome soundtrack had me hooked. I Remember during the Spacedock flyby of the refit Enterprise a kid in the audience out loud said "OH WOW!!!" The rest of us laughed and started applauding, it was love at first sight. STTMP is a good movie up until they enter the cloud, The problem to me isn't the length of the V'Ger flyby but that to me, they missed conveying the sheer size of the thing. I remember squirming when the first plasma sphere hit and thinking how bad is she going to get damaged. The scene where V'Ger disappears leaving the Enterprise was way cool, and I found the tagling "The human adventure is just beginning" A bit odd as ST had always preached diversity. But over-all I Had a blast.

I Remember seeing the South Bend Enterprise in our local K-Mart. It was $20 a lot of money at that time. I saved up for it, but when I went to get it, it was gone :( I now own the Diamond select Enterprise and Enterprise-A and Love them both, they nailed the look on the 1701 paint-wise.

Last edited:
I watched this again last night with a female friend that not only remained awake and alert, but asked thought-provoking questions afterward. I should probably propose marriage, eh? :)

Lest anyone think that was a sexist remark, I would say as much (save for the "proposal" part, perhaps) about anyone that sat and watched it with me. As much as I do enjoy (most of) the film, I don't begrudge anyone for finding it "meh", or even outright boring.

A few things: I sure do wish they didn't swap out so much of the TOS tone and pacing for the 2001:ASO vibe. One of the things I love about TOS is how much story and character building they can cram into 45-50 minutes. And you don't dare miss a second, for fear of missing something significant. This is especially where TMP is the anti-TOS. Lots of standing around and mouths agape and unconvincing looks of "awe". I actually almost giggled a few times at the cheese. Mind you, these things didn't bother me about the film until I got more serious about TOS the past few years. My personal bar for all things ST just got higher, I guess (rightly or wrongly).

Was there an underlying reason that Kirk was such a dick to Decker at first? I always assumed this had more to do with Kirk's insecurity about his own (rusty) abilities than anything to do with Decker personally. Any truth to that?

So little camaraderie and charisma to be found among the crew. :( Save for Bones...he came to play, too bad it was such a limited role. :( As I'm writing this, I'm actually getting more pissed about the fact that with all of this wasted time spent trying to build manufactured, self-indulgent drama, we're seeing characters themselves relegated to the sidelines...characters that some folks had waited years to see again. Kinda crappy.

And, I get how they were trying to emulate 2001 with AI and the quest for consciousness and all, but what exactly is supposed to be happening at the end of the film? I mean, V'ger's mission is now complete, so it can now just..disappear? Manifest into something else? Did this now become a spiritual thing? I've always felt a bit cheated by the ending; so much buildup and plot-hype, and ultimately it's dismissed with the little post-mission wrap-up where Bones says "I think we just witnessed the birth of a new life form" or something, with a lighthearted grin. That was the one thing that WAS like TOS, but it didn't feel right to me here; again, due to the pacing and, really, the weight of the mission.

I can't believe I'm bitching so much about it; I really didn't mean to, because I do enjoy it. I'm just disappointed I guess, because within this entertaining-but-a-bit-annoyingly-pretentious film was an AWESOME film that just couldn't seem to find its center in regard to honoring both past and present.

But damn, did they nail the Enterprise. Freaking kinetic sculpture at its finest.

IMHO.

I agree Kirk was dickish, although I guess that's part of his arc or whatever. It certainly wasn't anything against Decker in particular, except for the fact that he was in his way.
He wasn't very good to McCoy, either. Starting with the draft, then, despite saying he needs him, repeatedly rejecting his council.

It always bugged me that after the transporter accident, he says to the transporter chief on the other end "please express my condolences to their families". No, Jim, YOU do that. You're their commanding officer, it's your responsibility. Don't dump it on some poor schlub on the other end of the horn!

I like the eat-poo look Rand gives him when he says it wasn't her fault. She seems to be thinking:
1. Of course it wasn't, and even saying that suggests you might think that it was and are just being condescending, and
2. Of course it wasn't, YOU SHOVED ME ASIDE (the one with 100% more training on this new console than you) AND TOOK OVER.

Last edited:
I was 15 and wasn't too impressed. I enjoyed The Black Hole a lot more. I do look fondly on those days though. It started with Jaws, then King Kong, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, The Black Hole, ST, Alien, ESB, Raiders, ET, ROTJ, Temple of Doom...

I long for the days of my youth when going to the movies still had wonder.

I was 15 and wasn't too impressed. I enjoyed The Black Hole a lot more. I do look fondly on those days though. It started with Jaws, then King Kong, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, The Black Hole, ST, Alien, ESB, Raiders, ET, ROTJ, Temple of Doom...

I long for the days of my youth when going to the movies still had wonder.

What time to be a fan, eh. I still have the Fantastic Films/Starlog issue that has ANH, CE3K, Alien, and I think Superman, in a little 4-square mosaic thing on the cover. It was a great issue. And remember Outland; what a nifty movie that was, that I can still watch weekly.

As a kid, you thought this is what movies - and life - were all about, and that it will last forever. Damn. :-\

It was a very creative time that Hollywood often keeps over revisiting with sequels and reboots to this day.

We didn't have things I wish we did, internet for instance.
Though maybe waiting for magazines was a good thing.
It was a damn good time to be a kid and love SciFi/Fantasy movies,
such an explosion of material. It's like that time was a big bang,
all this material created and exploded and we live in the echoes of it now.

McCoy wasn't too helpful when it came to the Ilia probe.

They're in her quarters, trying to reach the vestiges of the real Ilia in the probe, and are getting results....then McCoy has to throw cold water on the attempt with "Commander, this is a mechanism!" Go back to sickbay, Dr. Debbie Downer.

Me, my uncle took me to McDonalds's the same day to get a Star Trek happy meal. Lots of memories of the day.
I was just thinking about the McDonald's Star Trek happy meal when I read the first post. My experience was much like the original poster's. It didn't grab me like Star Wars, or even Battlestar Galactica did.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back