TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

My main beef is people LOOOVE to bash everything about the prequels, bashing the difference of the Anakin hilt but give the differences between the ANH hilt and ESB hilts a free pass because those movies have built in immunity from criticism. That's my main beef. I still think the ROTS Anakin saber hilt looks enough like the ones seen in the OT to be considered the same one. You can't excuse the differences in ESB with ANH. Then bash ROTS for it.

Yeah...someone else noticed that photo with Finn and the lightsaber....that's actually why the photo was posted here in the Graflex thread.

But the discussion got side-tracked to Solo's uniform.

Funny thing...I have been tracking the Han Solo blaster thread as well and that also got side-tracked by Solo's uniform! LOL!!

Makes sense...a lot of new pics showed up...everyone is getting excited and commenting on all the new stuff....

That's my bad as well.

Sorry. I will never comment on his incredibly boring looking outfit.

Back on topic. Graflex.

I won't derail this thread again.

Seriously are we gonna get cocky fun Han Solo or grumpy Harrison Ford in this movie???

Sorry, did it again. Bunny ears, beer tab, is the red button there in all scenes,??....

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

All you people do is bitch.

I really want to complain about this comment but I am too busy complaining about Han's outfit.

:lol Now cmon,,...that is funny.

Word.

Tom

My main beef is people LOOOVE to bash everything about the prequels, bashing the difference of the Anakin hilt but give the differences between the ANH hilt and ESB hilts a free pass because those movies have built in immunity from criticism. That's my main beef. I still think the ROTS Anakin saber hilt looks enough like the ones seen in the OT to be considered the same one. You can't excuse the differences in ESB with ANH. Then bash ROTS for it.

Never blow up over the internet.

It was modified in the hands of Luke between ANH and ESB. No problem. How did the lightsaber change it's entire body between ROTS and ANH? Compare the differences between the rots and anh. The tube is a different diameter even. Differences like that can't have been Obi Wan altering it, it just reeks of a desire to white wash over the original prop's character in my opinion. For the casual fan it doesn't matter, but when you look at it you can understand a certain intent that is almost in contempt of the originals. Just like using CGI clone armies instead of guys in suits (granted, the height issue would have been an inconvenience to cast for) Did you know grievious also has a graflex saber? and an Obi wan ANH saber. Why? easter egg? It is silly :lol

edit: or hell, maybe the rots propmaster was just a vintage camera collector :lol

episode_3_general_grievous_lightsabers.jpg

Last edited:

In-universe, you're correct. Its all supposed to be the same object. You can also use in-universe explanations to explain the fairly obvious differences between the Skywalker saber in the films. But since this is the RPF, people like to focus on the details of the props. Thats what the people here notice. If certain films are more well liked and by proxy the props from those films are more well liked, then thats just people's opinions.

DINVADER ... indeed when GL picked up the newly created ROTS lightsaber his comment was something like ... 'so this is gonna be Luke's' ... so even GL did not bother the continuity differences that much . . . I for one am glad though that J.J. or some TFA propmakers bothered as much to gather real G R A F L E X flashguns again for this new trilogy :)

Chaim

Last edited by a moderator:

I get that people are very anal and OCD about every minutia of props here, (as that's what it's about here) in ways probably 95 percent or more of the public, or even most SW fans aren't. But they did make an attempt for the ROTS saber to look like the ANH one, the design didn't happen to accidently look a lot like it. I am just stating that there are differences between all 3 props. (Or more than 3). They should have used designs with Grevious there that we'd never seen before. I guess the animators got lazy or figured most people wouldn't care anyway. (Of course, they don't realize how OCD a small percentage of the fanbase can be or care.) And I doubt most people can tell the difference in the thickness of the body of the Anakin ROTS saber with the ANH one unless they have the props in hand or side by side.

Last edited:

I get that people are very anal and OCD about every minutia of props here, (as that's what it's about here) in ways probably 95 percent or more of the public, or even most SW fans aren't. But they did make an attempt for the ROTS saber to look like the ANH one, the design didn't happen to accidently look a lot like it. I am just stating that there are differences between all 3 props. (Or more than 3). They should have used designs with Grevious there that we'd never seen before. I guess the animators got lazy or figured most people wouldn't care anyway. (Of course, they don't realize how OCD a small percentage of the fanbase can be or care.) And I doubt most people can tell the difference in the thickness of the body of the Anakin ROTS saber with the ANH one unless they have the props in hand or side by side.

Yeah, there are differences which are really annoying, unless you can rationalise them away with in story reasons. You're right about the ROTS, it served the purpose on screen. Here they are next to each other for comparison's sake! (its an ROTS + ESB)

(not my image, sorry if it is somebody's here!)
aniep3_003-vi.jpg

unrelated, but now looking at it the ROTS reminds me of some kind of luxury sex toy :lol

Your last line is really sheer hyperbole. How about the ANH version. That's an ESB version at the top there.

Your last line is really sheer hyperbole. How about the ANH version. That's an ESB version at the top there.

It is to illustrate the difference between the base bodies. The ANH and ESB differences are minor in comparison, cus they're the same base with the accoutrements altered. Have no time to dig up an ANH ROTS comparison.

It isn't hyperbole, I could think of a few uses for it :devil

You do the same uses with the other one just as easily.

- - - Updated - - -

It is to illustrate the difference between the base bodies. The ANH and ESB differences are minor in comparison, cus they're the same base with the accoutrements altered. Have no time to dig up an ANH ROTS comparison.

It isn't hyperbole, I could think of a few uses for it :devil

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember the point we are arguing lol. Jokes aside, the ROTS is the black sheep of Anakin's saber depictions only because they chose to remake it, which is sad because it is the one you see Anakin actually use.

If it were 100% the same as ANH it would have connected the two trilogies in a way that would give me shivers (a better kind than the sex toy saber). Just like how the TFA saber is doing now (which is why we're being tough on the minor differences. They stop it from reaching sublime levels of nerdgasm)

Anyway, I am glad they used a real graflex for TFA and am looking forward to seeing how the they explain it's re-emergence after the long drop on Bespin.

Audiences are more sophisticated these days, so I can see details like the clamp tape and phillips screws not passing inspection this time round.

But I bet it would give you more shivers if the ANH and ESB were EXACTLY the same too.

I can't remember the point we are arguing lol. Jokes aside, the ROTS is the black sheep of Anakin's saber depictions only because they chose to remake it, which is sad because it is the one you see Anakin actually use.

If it were 100% the same as ANH it would have connected the two trilogies in a way that would give me shivers (a better kind than the sex toy saber). Just like how the TFA saber is doing now (which is why we're being tough on the minor differences. They stop it from reaching sublime levels of nerdgasm)

Anyway, I am glad they used a real graflex for TFA and am looking forward to seeing how the they explain it's re-emergence after the long drop on Bespin.

Audiences are more sophisticated these days, so I can see details like the clamp tape and phillips screws not passing inspection this time round.

this is what im dying to learn as well.. but knowing JJ i dont think we are going to get the answer. i predict its just going to show up in a junk pile...

I was thinking some of the guys that have been spoiled say it is explained but I may be wrong. It gave me some heartburn early on when I heard rumors myself about this saber miraculously re-emerging but I was told that it "makes sense" once it's explained. Frankly I'm still a little skeptical that it will but I'm really curious to hear whatever explanation there is.

I got excited seeing the shiny Graflex in Finn's hand there. That's most definitely not a stunt and VERY cool to see :)

Yeah, there are differences which are really annoying, unless you can rationalise them away with in story reasons. You're right about the ROTS, it served the purpose on screen. Here they are next to each other for comparison's sake! (its an ROTS + ESB)

(not my image, sorry if it is somebody's here!)
http://images32.fotki.com/v1091/photos/9/976173/4086468/aniep3_003-vi.jpg

unrelated, but now looking at it the ROTS reminds me of some kind of luxury sex toy :lol

Thats my photo (and my sabers) but I don't mind, share away.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back