Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 2:55 AM - Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #1

    Hi all. I'm just getting started on a long process to do a scratch build of a TNG medical kit. With the help of @Eric Ardros, I'm working on blueprints and plan to do a styrene build—I hope to share the PDFs here on the RPF when they are complete, given Eric's final permission and approval of my transfer of his hand-drawn guides. I'm currently at the phase of gathering materials and I I think I have everything worked out except the mystery of the door hinge.

    The auction catalog for the original described it as having a "ratcheting door", and if you look at the left on the pictures and some screencaps (below) of the YouTube video for the auction, it shows that there was a rounded drop-down door-style hinge on the left of the door. Apologies for the low quality, but this appears to be the best info available at the moment.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medkit-hinge-2.PNG 
Views:	193 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	371321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medkit-hinge-4.PNG 
Views:	172 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	371323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medkit-hinge-3.PNG 
Views:	161 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	371322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medkit-hinge.PNG 
Views:	161 
Size:	375.7 KB 
ID:	371320

    It appears to be some sort of small metal hinge part that is puttied into the styrene. Any idea what kind of hinge this is or where I could find such a part? (I'm assuming it's an off-the-shelf part that has been used from another purpose.)
    Last edited by norbauer; Sep 2, 2014 at 2:56 AM. Reason: reordered images
  2. Eric Ardros's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Ontario, Canada
    Messages
    602
    Sep 2, 2014, 6:44 AM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #2

    I was wondering when you were going to get around to posting a thread for this, lol. Again, I'm glad I can be of help with your project

    To answer your question, the round disc (which is actually present on both sides of the door; the one on the right is built into the Hypospray storage compartment) isn't actually the hinge per say. I made the same assumption, and was thinking I'd have to make them from scratch for my own project.

    From what Mike of HMS Studios told me when I was originally researching my own build, those notched discs are just there to allow the door to be held open at different angles. They're not absolutely necessary, so I opted to leave them out of my build.

    He explained that the Medkits had regular-type hinges that ran along the bottom edge of the door. Some sort of piano hinge or something.

    Here are the small, vintage piano hinges I managed to get for attaching the door to my Medkit:



    Took a while to find some small enough for my purposes. Lucked out in finding these on eBay, being sold in sets of two for only $5.00 USD plus shipping. They're sold out now, unfortunately. Tried finding something similar, but no luck yet.

    These measure 2 3/8" long by 5/8" wide opened, so closed they're not too big.

    It takes two side-by-side to cover the width of the door:



    Just need to sand them down a bit, put some primer on them and then hit them with some PK7173 equivalent.
  3. Ruddigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Long Beach, Ca
    Messages
    1,527
    Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 AM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #3

    I'd be interested in the plans when you finish them. I've always wanted to make one of these. As for the hinges, Iwas going to guess that there was a piano hinge on the bottom too, the other looks like a hidden cabinet hinge used mainly for support.

    Maybe something like this?
    Last edited by Ruddigger; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
  4. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:08 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #4

    Ruddigger said: View Post
    I'd be interested in the plans when you finish them. I've always wanted to make one of these. As for the hinges, Iwas going to guess that there was a piano hinge on the bottom too, the other looks like a hidden cabinet hinge used mainly for support.

    Maybe something like this?
    @Eric Ardros and I have discussed this and I believe he is amenable to releasing the plans—and since I'll be doing them in Illustrator I can share them as PDFs that can be printed on any oversized printer or plotter.

    He and I have both been burned in the past by the historical culture of closed doors and secrecy in the prop world and we're hoping to try to encourage a culture of sharing. It's nice that the internet is finally enabling this kind of collaboration among enthusiasts, even if a few years late to the game (relative to the software world, for example).

    Eric Ardros said: View Post
    I was wondering when you were going to get around to posting a thread for this, lol. Again, I'm glad I can be of help with your project

    To answer your question, the round disc (which is actually present on both sides of the door; the one on the right is built into the Hypospray storage compartment) isn't actually the hinge per say. I made the same assumption, and was thinking I'd have to make them from scratch for my own project.

    From what Mike of HMS Studios told me when I was originally researching my own build, those notched discs are just there to allow the door to be held open at different angles. They're not absolutely necessary, so I opted to leave them out of my build.

    He explained that the Medkits had regular-type hinges that ran along the bottom edge of the door. Some sort of piano hinge or something.

    Here are the small, vintage piano hinges I managed to get for attaching the door to my Medkit:

    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/906/e0Ta5r.jpg

    Took a while to find some small enough for my purposes. Lucked out in finding these on eBay, being sold in sets of two for only $5.00 USD plus shipping. They're sold out now, unfortunately. Tried finding something similar, but no luck yet.

    These measure 2 3/8" long by 5/8" wide opened, so closed they're not too big.

    It takes two side-by-side to cover the width of the door:

    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/742/8EX6hO.jpg

    Just need to sand them down a bit, put some primer on them and then hit them with some PK7173 equivalent.
    I figured they could be omitted, but I am still kind of curious what on earth they are. And I'd love to make the build as accurate as can be on the off chance it's possible to find one of these parts. I have never seen anything like this; I wonder if it was a salvaged part.

    @Ruddigger's suggestion led me down a chain of Google image searches and I found some related terms "lid/door support," "lid/door stay," etc., but I haven't been able to find any depictions of the rounded notched version. Did Mike give you any clue as to where this part might have come from or what it might have been called? Usually the trick for finding these things is learning the industry term for the part, which perhaps I'm missing.

    If no luck after a while, I may be able to machine a run of these from scratch—though I'd obviously like to take the lazy way out if we can find a ready-made supplier.
    Last edited by norbauer; Sep 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM. Reason: fixed malformed bbcode
  5. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    247
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:27 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #5

    HI Guys,
    OK just to clear up how it was made. There are a few of these (Bev.) Med cases that were made for production. Some of them did not open, they were just walk a round props. All but One of the cases used the piano hinge. That one being the 1st ever made case. On the 1st case the door was alum. the whole door as well as the pockets. On that 1st. case door the hinge was a steel pin that went through the whole case and door at the base front. This allowed the door to be removed easily during construction as well as when repairs needed to be made.
  6. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    247
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:33 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #6

    Those plates were cut from plate alum. and the half rounds were drilled in. Not a found item. there was no time to source a part it had to be made. The case was made in about 5 days start to finish.
  7. gunnerk19's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2004
    From
    Rumford, Maine
    Messages
    2,925
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:34 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #7

    IMHO, it seems to represent something like this



    However, since it's not truly rounded as it should be, it was probably just fabricated to look like a locking type hinge.
  8. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Austin TX
    Messages
    4,273
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:37 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #8

    Can't have enough TNG props! I'd love to build this one day too.
  9. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:38 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #9

    HMS Mike said: View Post
    Those plates were cut from plate alum. and the half rounds were drilled in. Not a found item. there was no time to source a part it had to be made. The case was made in about 5 days start to finish.
    Fascinating. Thanks so much for your reply, Mike!

    In that case, what was the rest of the case made of? Presumably at least the pin that moves inside the half-round would need to be metal too?

    Looks like that machining class I just signed up for is going to come in handy.
  10. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 1:44 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #10

    HMS Mike said: View Post
    HI Guys,
    OK just to clear up how it was made. There are a few of these (Bev.) Med cases that were made for production. Some of them did not open, they were just walk a round props. All but One of the cases used the piano hinge. That one being the 1st ever made case. On the 1st case the door was alum. the whole door as well as the pockets. On that 1st. case door the hinge was a steel pin that went through the whole case and door at the base front. This allowed the door to be removed easily during construction as well as when repairs needed to be made.
    Also, presumably, even the aluminum door with the notched half-round lid stays/support also had the piano hinges (or some type of hinge) around which to pivot at the base?

    Thanks again!
  11. Ruddigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Long Beach, Ca
    Messages
    1,527
    Sep 2, 2014, 2:49 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #11

    HMS Mike comes through again. Man I love the RPF.
  12. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 3:05 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #12

    nick daring said: View Post
    Can't have enough TNG props! I'd love to build this one day too.
    Couldn't agree more. After recently finishing up a Mark VII kit that came out well, I have a long list of TNG builds of obscure props I want to do. If I end up making the machined components for the medkit, I'd be happy to trade you a set for a cast of your amazing Legrasse Idol.

    Ruddigger said: View Post
    HMS Mike comes through again. Man I love the RPF.
    Indeed!
  13. Ruddigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Long Beach, Ca
    Messages
    1,527
    Sep 2, 2014, 3:07 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #13

    Is this going to be your build thread as well?
  14. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 3:12 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #14

    Ruddigger said: View Post
    Is this going to be your build thread as well?
    Probably not. I created a separate thread so people Googling or searching the RPF for a specific answer to this question will be able to find relevant info. I'll probably make separate threads for the blueprints project and then the actual build itself so as not to clutter things too much. I am finishing up a Tuvok meditation lamp in brass and a Vulcan katric ark right now (and will post build threads with instructions on those when I have something finished to show), so the medkit project will probably be a month or so away.
  15. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    247
    Sep 2, 2014, 4:18 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #15

    norbauer said: View Post
    Also, presumably, even the aluminum door with the notched half-round lid stays/support also had the piano hinges (or some type of hinge) around which to pivot at the base?

    Thanks again!
    The steel rod is the hinge. It runs through the bottom of the door. There is a hole on both sides of the body that capture the rod.
  16. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 2, 2014, 4:21 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #16

    HMS Mike said: View Post
    The steel rod is the hinge. It runs through the bottom of the door. There is a hole on both sides of the body that capture the rod.
    Ah, OK. Cool.

    Thank you!!
  17. Eric Ardros's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Ontario, Canada
    Messages
    602
    Sep 2, 2014, 7:36 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #17

    norbauer said: View Post
    @Eric Ardros and I have discussed this and I believe he is amenable to releasing the plans—and since I'll be doing them in Illustrator I can share them as PDFs that can be printed on any oversized printer or plotter.

    He and I have both been burned in the past by the historical culture of closed doors and secrecy in the prop world and we're hoping to try to encourage a culture of sharing. It's nice that the internet is finally enabling this kind of collaboration among enthusiasts, even if a few years late to the game (relative to the software world, for example).

    [...]
    I'm definitely agreeable to sharing the PDF plans once you've got them done, for the aforementioned reason of fostering more open sharing of such prop knowledge Looking forward to seeing your blueprints thread and also your WiP thread, buddy.
    Last edited by Eric Ardros; Sep 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    247
    Sep 2, 2014, 11:34 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #18

    Ok here is a photo of were the pin is. If you follow the photo addy you can find a few more photos of this and many other trek and stuff photos.

    P8100032 by propologist, on Flickr
  19. USS Endeav's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    267
    Sep 3, 2014, 10:59 AM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #19

    Man, now I have to redo mine! I did this over 10 years ago...

  20. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Austin TX
    Messages
    4,273
    Sep 3, 2014, 12:53 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #20

  21. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 3, 2014, 3:09 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #21

    HMS Mike said: View Post
    Ok here is a photo of were the pin is. If you follow the photo addy you can find a few more photos of this and many other trek and stuff photos.

    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/...7cf5ccd88c.jpgP8100032 by propologist, on Flickr
    Wow. This is absolutely perfect! Thanks again, Mike! Never before seen materials (to my knowledge, anyway) here, folks. Very exciting.

    Your Flickr has a great view of the notched holes in the door. Looks like the door was held in place using a ball latch?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball-latch.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	371972

    And the rest of your Flickr is a treasure trove. So much stuff here that I would love to build for myself, especially the Vulcan prop from "Gambit." I have never seen such excellent and detailed photos of that item.
  22. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    247
    Sep 3, 2014, 5:14 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #22

    norbauer said: View Post
    Wow. This is absolutely perfect! Thanks again, Mike! Never before seen materials (to my knowledge, anyway) here, folks. Very exciting.

    Your Flickr has a great view of the notched holes in the door. Looks like the door was held in place using a ball latch?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball-latch.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	371972

    And the rest of your Flickr is a treasure trove. So much stuff here that I would love to build for myself, especially the Vulcan prop from "Gambit." I have never seen such excellent and detailed photos of that item.

    That would be corrct. on both sides
  23. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Sep 3, 2014, 6:13 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #23

    HMS Mike said: View Post
    That would be corrct. on both sides
    Awesome. I think I'll try to figure out how to CNC-mill the holes and track for the ball to slide in. I'll try to work out specs that make sense and build those into my blueprints, though I suspect some trial-and-error prototyping will be required. Thankfully, I have more than 5 days to make one since it's just for myself.

    You have no idea how excited the fourteen year old in me is to make this. For whatever odd reason, this was the one object when I was watching TNG growing up that I spent most of my time dreaming of having (along with the hypo and Mark VII that go in it).
  24. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Messages
    27
    Jan 11, 2015, 8:26 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #24

    This is an exciting project! I am working on two MKVII builds, and I think one of the next things I'd like to try and tackle is the medkit. Always wanted to replicate the scene in the 25th anniversary special where Okuda demos the new prop. The blueprints would be very helpful in making that dream a reality.
  25. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2013
    From
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Messages
    182
    Jan 11, 2015, 9:36 PM - Re: Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge #25

    Jastor00 said: View Post
    This is an exciting project! I am working on two MKVII builds, and I think one of the next things I'd like to try and tackle is the medkit. Always wanted to replicate the scene in the 25th anniversary special where Okuda demos the new prop. The blueprints would be very helpful in making that dream a reality.
    This project is still very much on my to-do list, and I have made some progress on it, but amidst a number of others (all chronicled in this thread). My goal is to, along with Eric Ardros (also a member here), to build a set of blueprints for anyone willing to invest the time and effort of scratch building a medkit in styrene, which I'll share here. I also now own a vacuum form of the original buck that was used to make the ones for the show, which should help us be more accurate (though it will never be possible to be perfectly accurate without vacuum forming).

    Oooh. What is the 25th anniversary special you mentioned? I would love to dig that clip up!

Similar Threads

  1. Star Trek MedKit
    Marc Wagner, Replica Props
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2016, 5:20 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jan 22, 2015, 3:15 PM
  3. Mystery Star Trek TNG autograph - who is it?
    ScienceBob, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 8, 2014, 9:41 PM
  4. Star Trek door chime (replica door control panel)
    Mara Jade's Father, Replica Props
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: Feb 8, 2012, 12:08 PM
  5. Star Trek Enterprise Medkit help
    thegreatgalling, Replica Props
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 25, 2009, 6:01 PM

Tags