Doctor Who: Cybermen gun

Is that really the prop ? Or is that a fan made item ?

I'm not trying to be funny, but when my item is finished (who knows when that is going to be) I believe my item is going to look much more convincing an appealing to the eye than what I'm seeing here.

I wonder how often something like that happens, a prop made by a fan looking much nicer than the actual piece ?

I don't mean to toot my own horn but toot toot :lol

If that is the real prop it makes me feel really good about myself, I really needed that right now.

Thank you so much for posting these pictures.
Hey why not toot your own horn, you're doing an awesome job of re-creating the original Preacher rifle so far and I'm sure your version will be finished sooner rather than later (life problems willing). :thumbsup

I think until fairly recently the props used for TV and film were only finished to the level of detail which the cameras would pick up and no more. This however I'd say is changing as we speak, with the advent of HD TV and HD video shooting for movies too, the detail needs to be there because if it's not it'll show in the final product.

Roughneckone :cool

I've been to all the UK Doctor Who exhibitions this year, bar one (who wants to go to lands-end??) and can state that quality of the prop building is exceptional.

I'm not quite seeing what problem MrNotWrong is seeing with the screen-used prop?

Care to elucidate?

I've been to all the UK Doctor Who exhibitions this year, bar one (who wants to go to lands-end??) and can state that quality of the prop building is exceptional.

I'm not quite seeing what problem MrNotWrong is seeing with the screen-used prop?

Care to elucidate?

I think Roughneckone probably hit the nail on the head.

I don't mean to offend anyone but that item defiantly looks better on video than on film. Also it was probably never meant for closeups.

I just told yet another employer to eat a big one , so I should be able to put a lot more time into this now. You will see the difference in quality between this item and mine , even if I have to borrow my a better camera from some one.

Again I don't mean to blast any ones work. I'm just not blown away by what I saw in these pictures. In my opinion people that get my item will be very happy with what they get.

More piccies of the Gun.

Enjoy.:love

Cheers,

Andy

DSCF4501.jpg

DSCF4498.jpg

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR BIGGER PIC.

Last edited:
Have you ever had to do something to a prop you really didn't want to ?

0855342.jpeg

After about two hours of looking at actors holding the actual prop and standing in front of a mirror trying to hold the gun at the same angles it became clear to me I had done it again. Reactor drone was right about the size and I've made yet another over sized prop.

I have to kick this habit some how or people are going to think I'm trying to make up for something.

Anyway I should have the thing back together (but smaller) by the end of the night .

Has it crossed you mind that maybe YOU are of a diffrent size than the actors.
/Conny

Yes I have taken that into account. I'm a fairly large guy and it looks a bit large next to me. That's bad. I'll have it corrected tonight.

I really didn't want to do this, but I want this to be the nicest item I've ever made. I want this to be the beginning of a new level of quality for my work.

:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek
:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused
:cry:cry:cry:cry
Scary picture , please make go away!

Seriously though, I thought it looked pretty good proportionally before. As Contec said maybe you are to a "different" scale to the actors holding the prop.
Anyhoo, I'd say it's a "fait accompli" now, just hope you can put Humpty back together again:lol!

Last edited:
Tragic man! At least there are places you can shave some from so you don't have to start all over again, that'd be a horrible waste of time. Hope you find yourself happy with it eventually.

Well after putting it back together again it was still to big so I had to pull it apart again. She's all back together now and just over three inches shorter. I can now look in the mirror and hold her the way the actors do in the pictures and get the same image. She doesn't put a grin on my face from ear to ear anymore but now I'm sure I'm within an eight of an inch to the actual prop. At this size she feels like a big P90.

Anyway here is a picture of the progress (if you can call it that).

7072429.jpeg

Well after putting it back together again it was still to big so I had to pull it apart again. She's all back together now and just over three inches shorter. I can now look in the mirror and hold her the way the actors do in the pictures and get the same image. She doesn't put a grin on my face from ear to ear anymore but now I'm sure I'm within an eight of an inch to the actual prop. At this size she feels like a big P90.
Now thats what you call dedication!

Nice phaser BTW.

Last edited:
Actually having looked at the image of your final assembly I have a feeling that the two sections I've circled in the image look somewhat shorter than they do in the image of the original rifle (might just be the angle of your shot) also the pump action section looks longer in yours. Not meant as criticism just an observation BTW!

whogun1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh that's because in that picture it was still to thick ( from top to bottom ) I had to trim half an inch of the bottom and that part on the front is to large. I've cut it off now and I'm trying to figure out the right size for that now. Everything else is very close right now. I've got a few odd jobs on Saturday but I hope to get this thing on the press sometime this weekend.

Thank you for the heads up, I welcome things like that.

Oh that's because in that picture it was still to thick ( from top to bottom ) I had to trim half an inch of the bottom and that part on the front is to large. I've cut it off now and I'm trying to figure out the right size for that now. Everything else is very close right now. I've got a few odd jobs on Saturday but I hope to get this thing on the press sometime this weekend.

Thank you for the heads up, I welcome things like that.
Okeedokee, just thought you'd like a little feedback. Look forward to seeing a final shape as and when you're happy with it.

Roughneckone:cool

It wasn't really ready to be pressed, but the table was already set up, and I just could not help myself.

8072338.jpeg

8049556.jpeg

The press went so well I was amazed, So I rushed to assemble my new item.

8291144.jpeg

Then on to paint.

8439976.jpeg

8394132.jpeg

Then all that was left was the stickers and the airbrushing and she was all finished.

6517864.jpeg

8692808.jpeg

Well I'm very happy with how she turned out, I had it with me today at the east coast prop party but know one knew what it was. I need to show this thing to some "Who" fans and get their response. If you know of a forum that has a lot of Dr Who fans please let me know.

Oh and I'd also like to thank Pilot's image hosting, I love the format and ease of use. Thank you so much.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back