Location, Exact Photo, and Full Uncropped Photo Found - Hotel Royale ST:TNG

Re: Location identified! Now need help finding exact photo from cover of prop book

Well, we're halfway there. This is a brochure / program from about 1991-92... But as you can see the photo is cropped.

Is it possible the EHP actually printed this brochure at some point, for Caesar's Palace? And they just grabbed a left over, untrimmed cover (or proof) and used it for this book?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 163
Re: Location identified! Now need help finding exact photo from cover of prop book

Well, we're halfway there. This is a brochure / program from about 1991-92... But as you can see the photo is cropped.

Is it possible the EHP actually printed this brochure at some point, for Caesar's Palace? And they just grabbed a left over, untrimmed cover (or proof) and used it for this book?

Awesome find! That's definitely at least part of the photo. Enough for a talented artist to fill in the missing pieces if nothing else. I KNEW it had to be a real photo.

Earl Hays Press only does TV & Movie props as far as I know.

I just sent a message to Caesar's Palace asking for info on the photo or contact info for the original photographer.
I'm hoping that someone there will be able to assist.

Last edited:

Yep, it appears the brochure was from the Caesars Palace/Circus Maximus DAVID COPPERFIELD wine list.

s-l1600-1.jpg

Good luck with your mail to Caesar's mate.
MARK

I made this mockup with the portion of the photo that we have so far, just to test how it looks with the text.
I believe the title may have been added to the original image as a painted/drawn element based on a real font,
and then duplicated for the book cover. There's a lot of weirdness with the text that doesn't match up to the
actual unmodified font
Royale Mockup Test.png

I have found an uncropped version of the photo. More info later

The font looks like Adobe Caslon Pro - that has then been stretched vertically and horizontally, and had it's kerning adjusted...
The A is a slightly larger point size than the other letters - possibly stretched separately

Jim

Last edited:
The font looks like Adobe Caslon Pro - that has then been stretched vertically and horizontally, and had it's kerning adjusted...
The A is a slightly larger point size than the other letters - possibly stretched separately

Jim

I was thinking Century Old Style, but I considered Caslon before that. The shape of the 'A' is different at the top in Caslon.

I should have an original print with a sharp clear image in a few days. Here's a low res version of the photo without the cropped right side.

I also have an interest thread going in the Project Runs section if anyone is interested in a really accurate replica whenever I have them made.
McFlyte and Mike J., I will send you a free copy when they are ready. There's no way that I could have found this on my own without your help. Thanks!

Caesar LowRes Crop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post further updates on this project in the Hotel Royale thread that I started in the Project Runs section.
I'm currently working on a full replica of the book for a limited run, so be sure to check it out if you're interested.

Garamond is really close except for the 'T' and the 'A' :$
View attachment 837210

Jim

It's definitely going to require some work to get the letters tweaked to look just right.
I'm waiting to receive the better quality photo before I progress too much further on that.

I think the reason the font is so tough to pin down is because it's a typeface that was never converted into a font due to all these other similar options.

I also have a lot of work to do on the inside pages, but I'm going to print a test cover to see if the size I estimated for the book is correct.
I'm going to attach it to a real paperback book of the exact size and approximate page count so I can see how it looks.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back