I really want to get into model making but don't know where to start

kaidennett

Hey all,
I really have been wanting to get into model making, both kit and custom, but I don't really know where to start. Where I have been looking it all looks really expensive and I want to start cheap to see if I really enjoy it. I also want to experiment with making my own diesel punk models by kitbashing but don't know where to get cheap kits for that. Any help is great. Thanks!

My advice would be to start with a few of the Bandai Star Wars kits. Most of the 1/72 vehicles are in the $20-30 range, and are extremely detailed and well engineered, so you don't have to do much sanding or filling. I would also encourage you not to worry about airbrushing for a while - start with rattle cans and brush painting while you build your skills up.

As far as cheap kits goes, pay attention to eBay or sometimes Amazon warehouse deals. I've picked up several Revell kits on Amazon for $6 or so, and they are often free shipping with Prime. People often also part out kits on eBay, so you can often find something specific (like an automobile engine) for less than you'd have to pay for the full kit.

Good luck!

Sound advice! Definitely recommend the Bandai kits. I hadn’t made a kit for about 20 years. I picked up the 1/72 Bandai X-Wing and fell in love with them.
Also, this is a great forum for help, reference and tips. I’d suggest before building, to go through the posts of other members building the same kit. Most of them have pics of the progression.
Good luck and have fun![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thirded.

Bandai, that is. Revell are so disappointingly inaccurate in terms of their affordable kits that I don’t recommend starting there.

Last edited:
I was thinking that because I have a 3d printer I might be able to find a kit that I could print out so if any of you know where I could find any printable model kits I would be so grateful.

The start of my interest in making models came when I was a kid and I watched the episode of Reading Rainbow where they showed some behind-the-scenes of Star Trek Next Generation and there was a shot of someone making a shuttle for one of the episodes using shaving razor handles for the nacelles. I knew I could do that and it had never occurred to me before. Gluing together junk is a great way to start, be it something from the trash or toys from a thrift store.

-Rog

The start of my interest in making models came when I was a kid and I watched the episode of Reading Rainbow where they showed some behind-the-scenes of Star Trek Next Generation and there was a shot of someone making a shuttle for one of the episodes using shaving razor handles for the nacelles. I knew I could do that and it had never occurred to me before. Gluing together junk is a great way to start, be it something from the trash or toys from a thrift store.

-Rog

READING RAINBOW! I remember that episode and it had a similar effect on me... Foam core and old model kits and whatever junk I could throw together abominations occupied my shelves. After that I discovered a love of Klingon starship models, because of all the fun detail painting and weathering them...

I you want to hone your modelling skills, while Bandai kits are a great start, old MPC/AMT/ERTL Kits and the Revell kits are good ways to branch out into scratch building and superdetailing parts

For example, accurizing the MPC Milllennium Falcon or the Revell AT-AT will require mods and scratch building, all valuable for taking the next step of total scratch building

I was thinking that because I have a 3d printer I might be able to find a kit that I could print out so if any of you know where I could find any printable model kits I would be so grateful.

3D printing is very cool, and also a very bad way to manufacture most things. There are lots of printable models (check Thingiverse, MyMiniFactory, many others), and some of them are really high quality, but if you are looking to create models at the typical scales, home FDM printing is not going to be as good as a commercially available kit. 3D printing is great for props or for modeling something you can't just go buy a kit for, but for small, highly detailed models, off the shelf plastic kits are the winner.

Buy something you like on ebay. When it arrives, read the instructions. Then either paint it first, then build it, or build it first, then paint it.
While your on ebay, pick up a set of modelling tools. They'll come in handy.

Would a comprehensive sticky guide for newbie modelers be seen too remedial and a waste of space for the majority of long time posters here?

I found my way here after getting the Bandai PG Falcon last fall. It was the first model kit I've bought and tried to build in over 35 years. So much of what I remembered of working on this stuff then has changed- and changed dramatically.

Back then, it was getting all about getting little bottles of Testors enamel paints (or if I was feeling really flush, the spray cans), the orange marmalade smelling Testors tube glue, and probably some sandpaper to sand off the knob left when I twisted the piece off the tree.

Now I had to hit up the hobby store every few days to pick up something I just learned of, or to replace something I had bought a week earlier that I just found out wouldn't work for what I wanted to do.

Would be wonderful if some of you old pro's could hash out a clearly organized , all encompassing FAQ that covers basic stuff like the difference between various plastics as well as styrene/ABS vs resin, the difference between enamels and acrylics and what you don't want to do in regards to mixing layers- as well as a basic recommended starter tool list that goes into things like why you might want to spend a little extra to get a nicer pair of sprue cutters vs the basic $5 Hobby Lobby version.

Dabbling in it for the last seven or eight months, I haven't learned anywhere near enough to start it myself, otherwise I would.
I hope to get started on one of Randy Coopers resin kits soon, and I'm still trying to find a good primer guide for dealing with the peculiarities and demands of resin. I only have so much time to watch and absorb youtube build videos and in general it would just be so much easier to have a specific guide page/post to refer to for reminders and general to specific information as you encounter a problem.

It's a greatly relaxing and therapeutic hobby to deal with frazzled nerves (when it's not causing them)- but it can also be expensive in terms of trial and error that can easily be avoided with guidance from some of you more experienced hands.

Hope you guys realize I'm not complaining. Just offering a suggestion for us ignorant aspirants :)

Hey all,
I really have been wanting to get into model making, both kit and custom, but I don't really know where to start. Where I have been looking it all looks really expensive and I want to start cheap to see if I really enjoy it. I also want to experiment with making my own diesel punk models by kitbashing but don't know where to get cheap kits for that. Any help is great. Thanks!
Why not PLAY around with making a model from junk. It cost almost nothing, and it is a great way to exercise imagination and learn how to utilize various materials. Forget about kitbashing if you can't afford kits. Use whatever you can find in your junk pile and local rubbish tips. Ask your friends to give you stuff (like old PCs, TVs, etc) they no longer use, or about to through out. Strip them down for parts to make your model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not PLAY around with making a model from junk. It cost almost nothing, and it is a great way to exercise imagination and learn how to utilize various materials. Forget about kitbashing if you can't afford kits. Use whatever you can find in your junk pile and local rubbish tips. Ask your friends to give you stuff (like old PCs, TVs, etc) they no longer use, or about to through out. Strip them down for parts to make your model.

Agreed! Try something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3EZMMFeCWs

Beer cans and soda cans are great if you need to show damage, but take care as they stay sharp!

Jim

Last edited:
Go down to your local hobby shop and see if they have any old estate models. Or incomplete models from people that no longer want them.
I was just down at my local hobby shop on Saturday and picked up 4 WWII models that were either opened and unsure if complete or definitely incomplete for $10.

My other suggestion would be to pick up a super cheap monogram or revell model car kit and the basic tools and supplies like a number 11 xacto knife and some styrene cement like what Tamiya and Testors make and some sandpaper. You could probably pick everything you need up for less than $30!

If you go the monogram and revell route just follow the instructions but then learn to paint on them.. Learn how to weather the car like it's been sitting in a junkyard or something.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back