Need help hollowing out a stl file for 3d printing.

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello, all. I recently modeled a tng tricorder as an stl file, but I'm having trouble hollowing out the mesh so that I can try 3d printing it. Do you guys know any good programs that could do this. I tried a couple different free ones, but something seems to be wrong with my mesh and I can't get it working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

I've been using MeshLab and NetFab (both free tools) to clean up meshes for printing. Neither is really a full-function modeler, although MeshLab can do a lot. The nice thing is all their tools for checking topology to see if it is printable. NetFab is specifically a print-prep tool, and does slicing and scaling and stuff.

Getting a third-party mesh watertight and manifold can be a pain. Mesh design for display is different from mesh design for printing. The problem I run into most often is details that are made with open shapes, and/or closed shapes that have coincident faces with other closed shapes.

What 3D printer are you using? The printer will probably do that for you. I use TinkerCad and a MakerBot 2, I don't do any hollowing out, the printer does it automatically.

Post photos of the print when it's done I'd love to see it.

I'll second that. If you're happy with the stl file, it would be awesome if you'd be willing to share that as well. It would be cool if the community could collaborate on canonical versions of major props with screen-accurate dimensions so we could all work together on making better stuff.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back