Saber options?

Drac

Sr Member
Hi all,

I am totally new to the scene that is the saber world. I have seen so many threads here and various sites all over the internet from independent to flea bay, and I'm totally confused. I am looking to purchase my first saber but I have no idea where to start. I have been through a lot of threads here and looked at the sale threads also, but I can't decide what to do lol.

I only have access to my iPhone which makes it awkward to create a database of sorts, so I'm limited. If there is any advice on which way to go, or who to stay away from it would be much appreciated.

I know there are a few sites out there offering various kits or finished items, and the master replicas keep popping up, but I don't want to make a mistake for my first purchase, I'm looking at any of Luke, Vader, or kylo sabers at the moment, and I'm not really after a "working" saber just a display piece, my budget isn't massive so that has a deciding factor.

Hope I'm making some sort of sense lol many thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I've noticed those threads and heard they are great options, the Vaders one needs extras on that price also I believe? It's not a "complete saber? Sorry as I said I'm new to this :-/

In those threads replicas were offered of the same as the movie sabers were build on - vintage camera flashes.

There were more or less subtle changes in details from movie to movie on the sabers look, so the needed addons differ slighly, too. Depending on which version saber you like/want.

Hey Drac ! Are you looking for a RTD saber? (Ready To Display) or a SAR (Some Assembly Required)?

If you want a Luke ANH/ESB/TFA I think the best place to start is Romans Empire 's GRAFLEX replica.
If you want a Luke ROTJ there are several runs that have gone on here at TheRPF, @anakinstarkiller , Nicksdad , etc. You'll have to finish them (paint, clamps, etc.) or hire someone here who's build work you're impressed with to complete the project for you.

Vaders could be inaccurate Heiland real parts flash tubes with roygilsing aka wannawanga.com parts to finish it off. Roman's got a replica MPP coming.

As for Kylo... I'll have to defer to someone else on that as I'm not into that one.

Keep an eye out for both RTD and SAR sabers in the Junkyard and Project Runs forums, and if you decide what you'd like your first saber to be... put a post up in the Want To Buy forum.

Good Luck deciding!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not totally decided on either RTD or SAR to be honest. Price would decide either way, I realise it's a broad question and I appreciate the input, romans are defiantly nice pieces and a viable option for me I think. I saw Korbanth sabers on here somewhere also seem to be decent?

Maybe I should make a new infographic?

SO YOU WANT A LIGHTSABER?

1. Do you want a static belt hanger / display saber; a light up bladed wall hanger, or cosplay saber; or a light-up dueling saber?
1A. For display models, do you want a crystal reveal chamber?
1B. Do you want sound?

2. How accurate do you want it to be: screen accurate, passable, or an original custom.
2A. If you want it screen accurate, which saber are you interested in, keeping in mind that there are MANY onscreen variations.

3. Do you want to do the work yourself, or buy it completely finished, or something between?

4. How much money are you willing to spend?

Maybe I should make a new infographic?

SO YOU WANT A LIGHTSABER?

1. Do you want a static belt hanger / display saber; a light up bladed wall hanger, or cosplay saber; or a light-up dueling saber?
1A. For display models, do you want a crystal reveal chamber?
1B. Do you want sound?

2. How accurate do you want it to be: screen accurate, passable, or an original custom.
2A. If you want it screen accurate, which saber are you interested in, keeping in mind that there are MANY onscreen variations.

3. Do you want to do the work yourself, or buy it completely finished, or something between?

4. How much money are you willing to spend?

Hey :)

1. Display saber

1A. No reveal chamber

1B. Not too bothered about sound, but would be open to it.

2. Passable to screen accurate but prefer as accurate as I can for price reasons.

2A. Of course over time I'd like to have a collection of all variants (wouldn't we all lol) but I guess ANH versions of Luke and Vader to start and obviously Kylo's.

3. I'm happy to under go the work myself if it were a kit etc however a finished version is an option should the price be good.

4. As far as the money side, that depends on what I need to spend to get what I'm after, up to £300 or there abouts but given some time to save could be more, it all just depends really :)

Hope that makes some sense lol :)

It does!

I think you're looking at a TGS or Roman's repro. Korbanth's sabers, though meant for electronics, would also make you happy I think.

TGS, Roman, and Korbanth all offer a Graflex (Luke ANH/ESB, Rey TFA) for the price you're talking about.

Right now, Korbanth does an MPP (Vader) that's 85% accurate, and can be accurized on your own for a bit more money. Roman has a more accurate one in the works, you'd have to pre-order it now to get around the end of the year.

The thin-necked sabers (ROTJ Luke and Obi-Wan) and their variants are a bit more depending on how acurate you want them to be, and they aren't quite as readily available, but they get traded hands often.

Kylo's saber is a bit harder. There's not a lot of inexpensive options outside of a resin version. Most of the metal and electronic ones are pretty expensive because it's such a detailed and unique build.

It does!

I think you're looking at a TGS or Roman's repro. Korbanth's sabers, though meant for electronics, would also make you happy I think.

TGS, Roman, and Korbanth all offer a Graflex (Luke ANH/ESB, Rey TFA) for the price you're talking about.

Right now, Korbanth does an MPP (Vader) that's 85% accurate, and can be accurized on your own for a bit more money. Roman has a more accurate one in the works, you'd have to pre-order it now to get around the end of the year.

The thin-necked sabers (ROTJ Luke and Obi-Wan) and their variants are a bit more depending on how acurate you want them to be, and they aren't quite as readily available, but they get traded hands often.

Kylo's saber is a bit harder. There's not a lot of inexpensive options outside of a resin version. Most of the metal and electronic ones are pretty expensive because it's such a detailed and unique build.

Thanks for the info, it's cleared some things up for me, due to there being so many variants and so many kits available it is difficult for a "newbie" to the saber world to wrap their head around :)

I'll have a look through those options and see what I come up with :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back