Jurassic Park 2-Way Radio's?

Grey

Sr Member
This is certainly a weird one, but I think if I could find them it would compliment a Jurassic Park display nicely.

So, does anyone know what model the radio's that they use are? Here's a screencap I took.

His looks like the wrong model, it looks like the knobs are a bit different but that might just be my eyes playing tricks on me. On his though, you can see that there's no rivet in the side above the PTT button, like there is in the screencap.

Here's another shot, had to frameskip to get it at just the right moment.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm also very curious about Laura Dern's flashlight in that same scene. Has anyone ever been able to source it? My girlfriend is trying for an Ellie Sattler costume to go with the jeep.
34qsrqd.png

2d0dime.png

A bunch of radio forum nerds agree on the Saber II notion. From what I've found today:

"probably painted, after all they went through the trouble to trick them so the transmit light and display are on all the time, why not give them a painting while they're at it. Anythings possible in Hollywood."

"the top couple photos show a black dot on the side of the radio above the monitor button, on the little section that juts out. Looks like there's one on the opposite side of the radio, too. Any idea what gives? I bet they did just use screws to keep the thing together after modding it and gutting it."

By all means, the Flashlight is part of the same scene so if we could find that too it'd be great.

I think you're right on the money about repainting and adding the two rivets to either side. I don't know if it's important or not, but on those 1080p screens I posted you can actaully read whats on the screen when Hammond is holding it, and it's different from any pictures i've seen.

I've found the base unit, but i'm not sure if it's the right one. One page called it a 'Saber 6-way Charger' and the other was 'Motorola Securenet Encryption'. What's interesting about the base... is that it almost looks like the black holders where they sit in to charge, and the plastic casing are two seperate units. In my first screencap, you can see the unit is too big to match, it almost looks like they took it out of the casing.

EDIT: Hmm.... looking at it again leads me to believe they might have just made something entirely from scratch. This is the only shot I got of it but you can see the difference behind the radio's. (Note that the screenshots are all too big for the RPF viewer so you have to open them in a new window.

Last edited:
EDIT2: I've also uploaded this cap of the headset, you can see the tag on the cable and what looks like, a proprietary connector. That might help identify it.

It wont let me add to my origional post for some reason... sorry.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm also very curious about Laura Dern's flashlight in that same scene. Has anyone ever been able to source it? My girlfriend is trying for an Ellie Sattler costume to go with the jeep.

I haven't had much luck over the years. Convince her to do Ellie from earlier in the movie when she has a Maxabeam light. Problem solved. :thumbsup

Look on ebay for Sabers listed as non-functional or "parts" radios in good cosmetic shape. You should be able to get those a lot cheaper. You're not going to be able to transmit legally without the proper licenses anyway, so all you'll care about is lighting up the screen and the buttons.

Jim

I looked on ebay first

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Saber-...wItem&pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item483a2ca38d

I thought someone could mod those cheap ones to have a light up screen/stick on buttons to avoid shelling out $500

That's for a lot of 6. You can get individual ones for about 30-50 working and as the guy above me pointed out, non-working for even cheaper.

And i'm still convinced they completely replaced the screen with some kind of gel-overlay because when it's activated, it dosen't look anything remotely like the images i've seen.

Last edited:
Well, I held a couple of Saber II chassis in my hands today at the Dayton Hamvention. $20 each, non-functional but decent cosmetically. But, they were missing the knobs and belt clips. He had some Saber I chassis with knobs, but he wouldn't part with the knobs, I'd have had to shell out another $20 for a Saber I. A battery was another $10; again, non-functional, but good cosmetic condition. Another $10 for a belt clip. I never got a price out of him for an antenna, he was thinking too literally - the radios were VHF so he couldn't conceive of a reason I'd want UHF antennas, even when I told him it was for a prop replica. I passed, I'd already bought several items, including a used mobile VHF transceiver (functional, I'm an amateur radio operator). The Saber series is obsolete and support by Motorola has been discontinued for several years now. If you want these radios, look for them now, they'll get harder to find at all from here on out. Most of what few I saw today were still functional and commanding high prices. Parts radios will get harder to find, and will often be missing parts, like the knobs.

Jim

Here's a test one I did a while back, this is a "SECURENET" version (the case is taller for an encryption module) Also had some engraving from the fire dept, so that's why I put that sticker on there :/. It's also a newer version with the two extra buttons below the PTT, as well as the three orange buttons not being in one big recess. It was more of a paint test before I tried to make a canon one.

radio_test.JPG

radio_test1.JPG

radio_test2.JPG

radio_test3.JPG

Here is the correct (older) version of the saber II (UHF version with the stubby antenna) we are after (except for the knobs):

saber2.PNG

The movie ones look like resin copies, but since they are so cheap now functional ones are not a problem.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back