Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Post-release)

I was holding out hope that once he communed with the Kryptonian ship he would end up "enlightened" and serious. He's seen the edge of the universe, thousands of civilizations, their history, knowledge that would drive a lesser mind crazy, but he doesn't crack, because he realizes that the unsure, abused shell of a person he has been is utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe, and now he is MORE than a man. He is the god that he always longed for, he has saved himself, and his ego followed.

But of course instead we get the "ding ding ding" crazy take instead. Lucid insanity and awe would have been a much better way for them to go, and to give him an actual arc towards traditional Lex characterization, instead of the straight line from twitchy to twitchier that we got.

JLU kind of already did this when luthor found the anti life equation. he and darkseid just kind of stared at it in awe and went toward their fate. much more awesome ;o)

You know, if Wonder Woman has been in the world for at least 100 years, it does kind of make you wonder where she was in man of steel, especially when her weapons seem to capable against kryptionains.

I've got to assume that something bad happens in her movie that leads her to retreat from Man's world permanently. Only after the incidents of MoS does she decide to finally come back for the sake of the world.

I think they'll fix the Batman by having him become more pacifist in response to the events of BvS.
but it still bothers me that he had an entire career prior to BvS where he wasn't guided by his core ethic from the comics.
I can't say for sure, but I don't think this is the case. My understanding is that he started with his core ethic, then somewhere down the line, probably after the death of the robin, which was 10 prior to the events of BvS, so in the middle of his career, he started being more brutal and unforgiving. The line by Alfred "new rules, Sir ?" After seing the bat branding article on a newspaper indicates, to me, that maybe it's only recently that he began to kill, under certain circonstances. Might be wrong on this one though.

Ok, so, here's the key question:

Which comic?

If the answer is "The Dark Knight Returns" or any of the Frank Miller "The Dark Knight Somethings" then you can't really say "It's in the comics, so it's ok."

Miller's "Dark Knight" comics are basically like an alternate future/reality. Moreover, the convention of him using guns works precisely because it upends the established "rules" of the Batman universe. People who look at these comics and figure "There. That's Batman. That's who he is," quite simply, don't understand the character. Those stories are subversive stories. They deconstruct the Batman myth, and reframe it in different terms. They are, in essence, riffing off of what the "core" of Batman is, and in so doing, actually highlight that core. The alternative is that you do understand who Batman is and...you just don't like the core of Batman's character very much.

All of that is perfectly fine for a comics fan. People can be fans of whatever the hell they want. HOWEVER if you're going to tap someone to helm your movies about Batman, if you're going to put them in charge of telling grand, large scale stories about that character, then you probably want someone who actually understands and likes the character to be doing it. That's not to say they can't deviate from the core material or play around with expectations, but if they do, they should do so in a way that clearly demonstrates their understanding of and appreciation for the character. Doing otherwise seems like a perfectly fine way to make less money. You know why Marvel has done as well as it has? Because, in addition to offering generally entertaining material, their films are made by people who have a decent understanding of and appreciation for the source material. They don't always hew to them perfectly, and indeed they play off of them and play with expectations plenty. But the core of the characters are always there, informing the films.

Fine. It's a lethal projectile weapon that Batman shouldn't be using. There. Happy now?

Unless he's shooting a grenade launcher that fires grenades that pop open in a puff of confetti and candy, BATMAN SHOULD NOT BE USING A GRENADE LAUNCHER.

An EMP "gun" or a stun-gun is fine because it's non-lethal. Hell, even in The Dark Knight Returns, it's made explicitly clear that the Battank is firing rubber bullets (which can still kill, but at least provides a fig leaf to the notion that Batman uses non-lethal weapons and doesn't kill his opponents on purpose).

Everyone needs to read this post because Solo freaking gets it. GETS IT. If Batman is a killer, like someone else said, whats to stop him from killing the joker? How is he a hero? And if Batman is inspired by Superman after the events of BvS, after wanting to kill him for 18 months, then the DCEU doesnt have a chance in hell. Cause dear god that was some awful story telling, and a hack job at representing the characters. Seriously. This movie is making a ton of money, but people will learn their lesson, and not see a future installment. At least I hope so anyway. Snyder should have just made a damn Red Son movie, because he has such a hard on for Batman killing people and Superman being a dick. And for everyone that doesnt know comics, Red Son is not canon. JUST LIKE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. :facepalm

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what are you using as your definition of "canon"?

Well, with DC it can be kind of a mess. So I guess, since I was born in the 80's, post crisis? They are one shot stories not within the current continuity of the character a la Red Son, DKR, Old Man Logan etc. I think DC has an elseworlds imprint? Not entirely sure. I think in the nature of these movies, they need to hold true to their core principles. I really wish someone else would have directed MoS aside from Zack Snyder. Cause that movie set the tone for the entire DCEU. Its so freaking bleak. And he is obviously a Batman fan boy. Batman beats Superman, the movie is about Batman, Batman starts the justice league. And he doesnt even get the character. Its just a bummer man.

Out of curiosity, what are you using as your definition of "canon"?

I can't answer for Snikt, but my personal canon for most of these characters is the post Crisis mainstream DC continuity up until the New52. I think TDKR gets called non-canon because it would definitely be an Elseworlds story if the imprint had existed then, and was meant from the start to be a story without consequences for the main continuity. My even narrower personal definitive versions of these characters is the Under the Hood/Hush/TAS Batman, TAS/JL Superman, and (controversial or not) New52 Wonder Woman.

Personally I just don't think the TDKR Batman was the one this movie needed (or even the one it got) especially when paired with reluctant, sad sack Superman. Batman's lethality is a huge sticking point with me, and while they can back pedal and retcon it away, I just don't think it was a good way to go, especially when given the opportunity to show a hyper effective yet non lethal Batman. If the core conflict within the film had been that Batman wanted to show Superman FEAR, not death, then it would have been much truer to the character in my head.

A big gripe for me is the Batmobile chase where Bats cables the car chasing him and drags it for something like a mile, scrambling the guys inside. In my head Batman would have cabled one car, taken a ramp/jump over it and ended up tethering the two pursuing cars together, leaving them disabled without fatalities.

I understand everyone has their own ideas for the characters, but I just didn't like the brutality.

I can't answer for Snikt, but my personal canon for most of these characters is the post Crisis mainstream DC continuity up until the New52. I think TDKR gets called non-canon because it would definitely be an Elseworlds story if the imprint had existed then, and was meant from the start to be a story without consequences for the main continuity. My even narrower personal definitive versions of these characters is the Under the Hood/Hush/TAS Batman, TAS/JL Superman, and (controversial or not) New52 Wonder Woman.

Personally I just don't think the TDKR Batman was the one this movie needed (or even the one it got) especially when paired with reluctant, sad sack Superman. Batman's lethality is a huge sticking point with me, and while they can back pedal and retcon it away, I just don't think it was a good way to go, especially when given the opportunity to show a hyper effective yet non lethal Batman. If the core conflict within the film had been that Batman wanted to show Superman FEAR, not death, then it would have been much truer to the character in my head.

A big gripe for me is the Batmobile chase where Bats cables the car chasing him and drags it for something like a mile, scrambling the guys inside. In my head Batman would have cabled one car, taken a ramp/jump over it and ended up tethering the two pursuing cars together, leaving them disabled without fatalities.

I understand everyone has their own ideas for the characters, but I just didn't like the brutality.

You got to it before I did! ;) Harrison totally just explained how I felt.

- - - Updated - - -

Hush and Batman TAS are so freaking good. When I think of Batman, I think of those stories/iteration of the character.

Last edited:
It's not well known now, nor was it well-recieved then, but there was a BvS serial in the 40's...

Attachments

• BvsS-Mock.jpg
    BvsS-Mock.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 69
I was expecting cr@p after my son's review, so I liked it. My other son did as well because expectations were so low.

However, I just read 11 pages of "Opinions" and nobody referenced the fact that the movie billboard during the Wayne murders was Excalibur? So of course at the end of the film, Superman pulls himself closed to Doomsday to strike the killing blow while also killing himself?

Excalibur-Battle-Scene.jpg

I was expecting cr@p after my son's review, so I liked it. My other son did as well because expectations were so low.

However, I just read 11 pages of "Opinions" and nobody referenced the fact that the movie billboard during the Wayne murders was Excalibur? So of course at the end of the film, Superman pulls himself closed to Doomsday to strike the killing blow while also killing himself?

View attachment 610319

Nice catch! I had noticed that poster there but didn't make the connection. I was more so just checking out the Mark of Zorro poster that was next to it.

Considering that every new show and every other movie is just put in a different universe: at this point it's safe to say that there is no Canon anymore. Canon for a particular DC movie includes that movie and SOMETIMES the one just before and that's it.

Just wondering, how are they supposed to tie all these movies together into one shared universe when they seem to disregard previous movies? That would be like when the Avengers came out they ignored the first Ironman movie? Just kind of weird to me that they would wipe out the Nolan Universe when it was so well received. Looks like they would have wanted to build off of that.

Just wondering, how are they supposed to tie all these movies together into one shared universe when they seem to disregard previous movies? That would be like when the Avengers came out they ignored the first Ironman movie? Just kind of weird to me that they would wipe out the Nolan Universe when it was so well received. Looks like they would have wanted to build off of that.

That would have stuck them in the "realistic" Nolan universe, and left people frustrated about the recasting of Bale (he was done with the franchise). I understand that Batman was recast anyway, but there was never any idea that they would be in continuity (Nolan movies) from the beginning, the new franchise was always going to be a fresh start. Nolan's Batman could also NEVER have believably stood toe to toe with Superman, as he was a much more humanized version of the character, while Affleck's Batman is more on the Captain America "peak human fitness" side of things.

The short answer in some people's opinion is also that WB has no ever loving clue what they are doing, fling stuff at the wall, and see what sticks. The same cannot be said about Marvel and the MCU, as they had plans projected far into the future, even going so far as to believe Terrence Howard would be the one stepping into the IM role if RDJ didn't pan out.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering that every new show and every other movie is just put in a different universe: at this point it's safe to say that there is no Canon anymore. Canon for a particular DC movie includes that movie and SOMETIMES the one just before and that's it.

Though I'm assuming they hope to remedy this with their movie universe (successfully at this point or not)

I won the coin toss and dragged my wife to see it tonight. The funniest part of the movie was when she said, "Batman doesnt use guns!" Out of the mouths of babes.

Like most of you, I like Sci-fi, action, comic book movies. I liked the Nolan movies and the last Superman movie. The flick needed a good 45 minutes of editing. Eisenberg was the wrong choice period. He came across as spoiled brat....child. Lex Luthor is a criminal mastermind who is cracked in the noggin. This Lex was just a whiny kid with too much money. They needed an actor who was older, period. Like Vincent D'Onofro. Batfleck did a good job as did CavilMan. Cinematography was great but the editing was jumpy and used sparingly.

Things I liked, Jeremy Irons. Batflek being a womanizer, drinker and troubled middle aged dude. The dual coffin/funeral was great.

One thing I still haven't seen mentioned by anyone so far is Jimmy Olsen "superspy" getting his head blown off in the desert scene.

an article was mentioned somewhere in one of these threads...

so, why would a super agent join the daily planet and work there for apparently decades? Looked like a 40 year old jimmy olsen

Again, what is wrong with a jimmy olsen that was portrayed as in Superman returns? A simple kid just trying to exist? No war correspondant. no cia agent. no supermans pal. just an average nerdy kid?

other than the fact that things are rebooted so many damn times, people feel the need to put their own terrible stamp on what works.

and if he didn't fit in your universe, just name him jenny olsen like originally planned apparently before people noticed and leave it at that..why kill him off for no reason?

Saturday AM Update: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice takes a massive tumble compared to its opening day last weekend with an estimated $15.35 million Friday. That's an 81% drop from its opening day last Friday, which did include $27.7 million from Thursday previews, but even excluding those numbers you're looking at a 71.5% drop. Rival studios peg the film's second weekend dropping as much as 70%, resulting in a three day weekend around $50 million.

wow, all i'm hearing, not really a shocker. i wonder what this will do to dc's confidence though.

is it too much to hope for with a major studio firing/restructing from head to toe?

even when they try to emulate marvel, they arn't doing anything NEW, just copying what they think works (having old feel good song in trailer, for instance)

Double edge sword on this movie making money or not. If it makes boat loads of cash, what you see in this movie will be in ALL the DC movies. If it ends up puttering out and does not make a ton of cash, Movie head honchos will just say "oh well, people must not like Super hero movies anymore" and stop making them. NO WAY will they admit they made a misstep or messed up, it will fall to the movie viewer. If you don't see it they won't make super hero movies anymore, go to see it and the movie makes money and this type of movie is all you get.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back