Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'll get a picture of the can and see if we can get a confirmation that it's the stuff. I might -- might -- be able to get 5 or 6 cans.

BTW, I think I found the first Bandai "error" worthy of a small modification. On the front starboard sidewall, the greebly from a DML/Dragon/Revell 1/9 Kettengrad kit (part #8 indicated on the donor I.D. chart) needs to be thinned and the top rectangular shape needs to be drilled out. The series of vent holes below should also need to be drilled out, but I think I'll just fill those holes with some panel wash and call it a day. However, that rectangular hole is visible when looking over the top of the starboard mandible.
IMG_8547.JPGIMG_8548.JPGIMG_8549.JPGKettengrad.png

Chiming in on the paint and using spray cans and the possibility of losing detail. I don't feel like it's a concern unless you go at it like a Picaso. Tamiya spray cans paint really fine. It is evident by the fact that after one spray I can see the primer through my first go at it. I use a very fine automobile black primer. When making sure I really get it in the little groves and in between detail, I feel like detail is actually enhanced when then hitting it with the base coat. I feel like I see more detail now when looking along the side walls and in the access bays.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chiming in on the paint and using spray cans and the possibility of losing detail. I don't feel like it's a concern unless you go at it like a Picaso. Tamiya spray cans paint really fine.

My concern isn't so much with what comes out of the rattle can as the can/nozzle itself. The way rattle can nozzles are designed there's very little sensitivity to how the propellant ejects the paint when you press down on the nozzle. Depending on the can, once you put pressure on the nozzle, the paint starts shooting out and you're committed. There's far less control than with an airbrush where you can feather in the amount of paint with the air. I've often had sticky rattle can nozzles where I press down, the nozzle sticks, I press harder, then -- POP -- the nozzle unsticks and FOOM a huge burst of paint shoots out and floods a section before I can react to back the can away from the surface.

I'm not saying rattle cans can't be effective or shouldn't be tried, I'm just hesitant to use them on this model because a big blob of paint obscuring this amazing detail would be a hate crime.

BTW, I took Jaitea's advice and ditched the black primer coat. I did a test using vallejo black primer on the landing gear sprue followed by Polly Scale Reefer White over the top. As I feared, the white looks too blue, even after multiple coats. By itself, however, the Polly Scale is a perfect match for the Bandai plastic. Assuming Bandai's research on the color is as good as the rest of their research, the Polly Scale is a close (enough) match for Floquil.
IMG_8553.JPGIMG_8556.JPG

Since I'm not using a primer coat, I started by washing all the sprues in mild detergent and letting them dry overnight. I'm using black and brown Tamiya panel line accent on the bare plastic to pick out the fine detail and then airbrushing the reefer white on top. That tones down the panel accent and leaves a nice white basecoat with the detail popping out.
IMG_8543.jpgIMG_8555.JPG

Here is a quick color comparison between Bandai's color vs. Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White on top of black automotive primer.

Shot only using the light through the window. Pretty close, AS-20 is a little more green.
a416e67269c7d127f70a5be53182ce65.jpg

Grill is not painted at all. Rest is AS-20.
369756ef75e894670d041f9960b3c221.jpg

Last edited:

I'm using black and brown Tamiya panel line accent on the bare plastic to pick out the fine detail and then airbrushing the reefer white on top. That tones down the panel accent and leaves a nice white basecoat with the detail popping out.
View attachment 774662View attachment 774660

You might be well aware of this, but just in case.
Applying Tamiya's accent colors directly on bare plastic could be harmful.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87131_133panel_accent/index.htm

Especially snap-fit kits (the plastic near the pins and sockets become pressured after assembly), especially thin parts. They have been known to cause cracks.
It is better to prime/base-coat with lacquer, whether black, grey or white, if you are going to paint/wash with enamel. And Tamiya's accent colors are enamel.

For panel line washing, it is said that Mr. Weathering Colors are safer, because they are oil-based and not enamel.

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemList.php?cId=29

For people that want to avoid translucency problems, I find that painting the inner walls of the model black usually eliminates any translucency issues. I did this with my 1/48 scale Bandai Light and Motion X wing. Didn't have to use any of the dark stickers the kit came with to obscure light bleed through on any of the parts.

While I am not sure how useful these really are for the absolute perfectionist, who will of course want to use color corrected photos, I've found sites like this useful for getting an idea of what makes particular shades of a color special when I can't find that perfect out of the bottle color for something.

http://www.colorhexa.com/

http://www.imagecolorpicker.com/

Last edited:

Here is a quick color comparison between Bandai's color vs. Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White on top of black automotive primer.

Shot only using the light through the window. Pretty close, AS-20 is a little more green.

Thanks for that.

I wonder how close the AS-20 would look if it wasn't over black primer

When I did my 1/72 X-wing and Y-Wing I used it straight on the plastic and it was really hard to tell where I had missed areas when spraying it since the colors were so close

Although I really think the black primer underneath helps the details pop and create some natural shadows

Something I'm not wholly clear on. The rear grills on the falcon. Are they the color of the hull and the black is what is underneath showing through. Or are they also painted straight black.

Something I'm not wholly clear on. The rear grills on the falcon. Are they the color of the hull and the black is what is underneath showing through. Or are they also painted straight black.
The black behind the grill is just the void of space between the grills and the light bar. Is that what you were asking?

So what have have people been handling the control panels in the cabins?

There is tons of molded in detail that makes it extremely hard to actually use the waterslide decals on top of them

You can shave it all off, bu then you lose out on some of the 3-d look and natural shadows

I tried painting them, but it lacks that distinctive Star Wars style panel of the white line outlines over the black and grey if you just kind of do a drybrush like job and then pick out details

I then tried cutting out just selected parts of the decals which worked all right, but still a few areas the decals, once conformed with Micro Sol, wound up warping/curving some of those lines.

So now it is a hybrid of painted details and decals

I mean it's definitely passable at normal viewing distance.size, but if you zoom in these pics you can see what I mean

As far as the rest of the cockpit, this is where I am at currently ( I still need to matte coat it to get rid of some of the glossiness)

You might be well aware of this, but just in case.
Applying Tamiya's accent colors directly on bare plastic could be harmful.

Thanks for the heads up! Hadn't considered it, but I'm not flooding the parts, so I think I'm okay so far. I'm only working on the mandibles at the moment just picking out some details here and there before top coating. To be on the safe side, I'll check out a few other options before continuing. :cheers

Definitely looks good. It's really fun to see the different ways people are skinning this cat! I have no doubt that when I'm finished I'm going to go look back at what others have done and think, "Dang it, I shoulda done that."

Definitely looks good. It's really fun to see the different ways people are skinning this cat! I have no doubt that when I'm finished I'm going to go look back at what others have done and think, "Dang it, I shoulda done that."
I'm sure I'll do the same. That's what i like about this community. Everyone posts what they are doing and we can compare and choose for ourselves what we like.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back