5 ft. Falcon. It can be done.

'How to tread lightly....'

I see this this debate from both sides.

THE PATTERN MAKER: They spend years and countess dollars researching every minute detail of a filming miniature to get everything perfect. They develop blueprints from screengrabs, online sources and reverse engineering known measurements. A very tedious yet rewarding experience. He also would not be inclined to make a kit only to see copies pop up on Ebay a few weeks later.

THE KIT BUILDER; They prefer to buy a kit from a third party. It may may be flawed dimensionally or not have the proper greebleys. The buyer is more concerned with the finished product than the hunt for the Holy Grail.

Both types are fans of the hobby and the movie. The Pattern Maker doesnt exactly feel like giving away his hard work for free to the ungrateful masses. The Kit Builder may not have the time, money, talent or workspace to scratch build the MF. But both share the fan gene.

Ultimately, the donor kits are identified, pieces are tagged, people make resin casts (especially for the expensive out of production kits) and garage kits are offered to the public. This process is unstoppable. As long as there is a demand from people willing to spend the money on a kit rather than doing it themselves, the wheels of progress will grind fore ward.

I dont frown upon the Pattern Maker for wanting to protect his hard work. Nor do I frown upon the Kit Builder for using the only resources he has.

Before anyone says, 'Yea but, you have never worked hard on a project only to see it dipped in silicone and offered for pennies on the dollar!' Almost everything that I worked on at Icons was, and is, available in garage kit format. Yes it sucked. The biggest FU was when Kenner released their 'retooled X-Wing'. It has some of our built in recasting tells to confirm what we already knew......it was recasted from our work.

I would love to see this project go foreward. Anytime something new hits the market, it creates new excitement for the brand. Now if you will excuse me.....I think Ill play with my Falcon a while:)

I think the best way is to offer the 3 landing gears version and the 2 additionnal separate landing gear boxes as an option for those who want !

It can't be done to make the ANH version Falcon & add the extra forward gear boxes as separate items to make the ESB version I'm afraid!. The ANH pits were heavily deconstructed & made a lot smaller for Empire with a lot of the details removed or repositioned. You can't make an Empire out of ANH!. It's either or sorry!

Stu

Firstly. I'm tired of people getting gunned down for being enthusiastic. It's hobby you twits. Why so much egotism? Also I don't recall seeing anything from the person shooting his mouth off. Everyone needs to get with the program or go somewhere else. The boys have worked hard & that's alot of the boys. Now seems again someone's going to come in & cash in on other people's work. So common these days.
Kudos to those doing work & sharing it openly.
My advise is to use the search engine before diving in.
People around hear are to quick to mouth off.
Great idea.
I hope it happens.

Firstly. I'm tired of people getting gunned down for being enthusiastic. It's hobby you twits. Why so much egotism? Also I don't recall seeing anything from the person shooting his mouth off. Everyone needs to get with the program or go somewhere else. The boys have worked hard & that's alot of the boys. Now seems again someone's going to come in & cash in on other people's work. So common these days.
Great idea.
I hope it happens.

Amen. I agree. Unless the harsh words were aimed at me. Not really sure after reading it twice. :thumbsup :cheers or :angry:thumbsdown

Anywho,

Blueprints on the way. Yippie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A kit as well. Yippie X 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the whole point of this thread and it's awesome that it turns out it was already happening.

I can't say enough kinds words about the people behind these projects.

Yeah again.

So, how about that Global Economy? Sucks, huh???

It wasn't directed at you. But I did give you some advice. That's all the other modellers need to do rather than try & big note themselves & make newcomers unwelcome. Good luck with your dream project. We're all trying to achieve the same thing. Fulfilling our childhood dreams. Too many people forget that & think because they know some or have some that others don't they can belittle them. Those people know who they are & can be assured there are people that aren't going to put up with it any longer.

Great idea.
I hope it happens.

Excellent, agree 100%.

It can't be done to make the ANH version Falcon & add the extra forward gear boxes as separate items to make the ESB version I'm afraid!. The ANH pits were heavily deconstructed & made a lot smaller for Empire with a lot of the details removed or repositioned. You can't make an Empire out of ANH!. It's either or sorry!

Stu

Hey Stu,

I think it was harder for them to make the modifications on a finished model than it would on an unassembled fg part ? (I think the details are not really a problem, it's up to the builders to glue them the way they want ?).
Anyway you learnt me something, I didnt know the pits were heavily modified, the only time I looked at it, it seems they just removed some plating, add some more meat to the inner dish, put the boxes, added some more plating then moved some greeblies ? Anyway I'm probably wrong as I never studied the 5ft in details and my 5ft ref material is close to none (I do prefer the 32"). If you have more details about the original mods (not regarding the kit parts placement but modifications of the structure), that would be great !

Heya Julien,
Yeah these pits were sadly heavily reconfigured for Empire. Very few of the original donors sit in their original ANH positions after the heavy mods. I did wonder if both versions could be done from the one hull, but really it can't. Even if you had 2 pit insert tubs for each version, this begs the question of all the armor plating that was modded/cut as well. Even so, the size difference between original & modded pit is substantial when you compare the ref.
For example one pit in its original form contains a complete Mclaren chassis base!. This was cut in half to fit the Empire version. Nasty stuff to do on a beautifully finished model, sigh

Thanks Stu !

Well so the best way would be 2 pit inserts but the problem would be the plating then :s that implies the plating is part of the casting then ?
This is just an idea but maybe not including the panels surrounding the pits as part of the casting, the hull would not be cut either but pre scored for both versions, the builder would have to cut the pit opening he wants, glue the pit insert, the landing gear boxes if he wants them then add the panels that were not cast. But it's probably too late if the master has already been done ! Anyway it's still possible for the one that really wants but that indeed a lot of work, thanks for the clarification ! It should be hard to ID the pit in its original configuration !

No problem J:)
Really I'm just focused on the ANH version which I'm doing. I have ID a lot of the original donors in the original pits, but some just not enough ref. I'll get there eventually, just mind numbing sometimes staring at blurry ref pics for too long lol!

I know how you feel. It's always challenging to replicate that does not exist anymore in its original state and of which only a few low rez pics exist (have the same problem with the anh TIE decals :(().
You may never find all the original parts but you'll get what you love : a sleek Falcon as it appears for the first time ! :)

Well you know, even on the 32" MF those pits are still a mystery in some places haha :)

It wasn't directed at you. But I did give you some advice. That's all the other modellers need to do rather than try & big note themselves & make newcomers unwelcome. Good luck with your dream project. We're all trying to achieve the same thing. Fulfilling our childhood dreams. Too many people forget that & think because they know some or have some that others don't they can belittle them. Those people know who they are & can be assured there are people that aren't going to put up with it any longer.

Nicely said mate:thumbsup

Pretty sure it's the sandcrawler ! :)

003.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back