Star Trek Discovery Phaser by Anovos

Just wanted to jump in here and clarify something. The concept phasers were my design. I contacted Ray (and friend and illustrator I work with a lot) and told him I was commissioned to build the new phasers for Into Darkness. Even though the studio was interested in sticking with a similar style chrome phaser to keep with continuity, I still wanted to put an additional concept phaser in front of the studio. I drafted up a rough design and made a list of specific features and details I wanted in a concept phaser. I gave that to Ray and asked him to do a really nice piece of studio art so it was more “formal”. He did do that for the first concept which JiminSTlouis posted a link to. Ray also asked if he could do a bunch of “additional” phasers of his own design. He did and there were a ton of beautiful pieces of art. All were pretty much new futuristic styles what we were referring to as “iPod” looking phasers.

In the end, I decided to run with my original concept phaser for the actual pre-production sample for consideration. Ultimately, the studio decided to have me run with a design which was closer to the 2009 phaser.

The pics JLewis is showing above are of a new concept I designed based on my original concept I had Ray make a beautiful illustration of for me to present to the studio.

So, E Williams, you are not correct in saying Ray designed both. I wish people would get their facts straight before adding their two pennies. During pre-production of Discovery, I was a guest at Wonderfest. John Eaves was there as a guest as well. He mentioned he was on the show and was going to put in a good word for me. During Wonderfest, I showed him my newer concept phaser.... version 3 I believe it was. He loved it. I gave John all my concept phaser work. I gave him screen shots of my CAD work as well and told him to feel free to use it as he saw fit just in case I didn’t get on the show.

Ultimately, I was not hired on the show but I did give all my concept work to John to freely use. I only gave him my original designs and subsequent versions of my concept. I did not give him any of the additional art Ray did for me that was strictly his work. As it turned out, Ray did get on the show and did do new designing.

There ya go, the scoop.

Apologies for the loose terminology, "designed" was meant to refer only to the final 3D designs/renderings to be printed as physical objects, not the concepts/inspiration for those designs.

With respect to my concept phasers, I built those in Solidworks. As for the Discovery phaser, I was not involved with that CAD model. Again, I gave John Eaves still pics of my CAD model of my proposed concept phaser from Into Darkness (which was not used). He loved it and I told him to use it as he saw fit if I didn’t get on the show. That’s as far as my involvement was. Once Ray got on the show, that was all him.

I also gave John different versions of my concept phaser with various changes and tweaks I did. Those “changes and tweaks” I actually did for Chris the director of Axanar because I wanted to provided the phasers for that show. However, we all know what happened with that little ditty. Both John and I were doing some concept designs for Axanar.

For the love of God, I seriously can’t get that damn thing on screen. Lol

E Williams....

The Discovery phaser and my concept phaser are two different guns. I built my CADs for the concept phaser in Solidworks. As for the Discovery phaser, it would be a safe bet to say Ray provided Rhino 3D files to production considering he loves to use Rhino to design in. I have no idea who built the Discovery props, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also gave John different versions of my concept phaser with various changes and tweaks I did. Those “changes and tweaks” I actually did for Chris the director of Axanar because I wanted to provided the phasers for that show. However, we all know what happened with that little ditty. Both John and I were doing some concept designs for Axanar.

For the love of God, I seriously can’t get that damn thing on screen. Lol

I didn't know Axanar existed before this lol. But I'm not a dedicated Trekkie (Trekker?) for sure.

Kenney you need to work on your branding. As far as I can see you are (or are approaching) icon status as much or more than a lot of the "names", but the brand is not out there. . .

ps. I probably spelled your name wrong didnt I. . .

- - - Updated - - -

Win7ermute

Wait until you see the **** I’ve built over the last year. Was on a year production of Altered Carbon, Reynold’s and Brolin’s weapons/swords for the new Deadpool, Dwayne Johnson’s cool props for Skyscraper, some cool weapons for the new X-Men etc etc. It was an amazing year. Can’t wait to share with you guys.

- - - Updated - - -

P. S. And you spelled my name correctly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
....and a sincere thank you for the kind words. There are a great deal of us that work behind the scenes and most never get the recognition for such amazing work. So, again.... thank you.

Hey Kenney. Long time no chat. Glad you've had a great year and hope 2018 is a good one too. Still love that concept phaser. Much nicer than the shiny one. Who builds a shiny gun?

Ultimately, I was not hired on the show but I did give all my concept work to John to freely use. I only gave him my original designs and subsequent versions of my concept. I did not give him any of the additional art Ray did for me that was strictly his work. As it turned out, Ray did get on the show and did do new designing.

There ya go, the scoop.

I think they will be lucky to get them next December.

Cue the "Shipping Spring, summer, fall updates :lol

So, the first wave of the Discovery Phasers where to be delivered in December, anyone actually get there's in December?

Order one by the 31/1/2018 and you might get it by November and that is if it's on time. Damned nice though. I like this phaser. Just can no longer afford one.

Just wait until mcfarlane releases his in October, should be a viable option for those who want something cheaper and don't mind some screw hole filling and a paint job.

Just wait until mcfarlane releases his in October, should be a viable option for those who want something cheaper and don't mind some screw hole filling and a paint job.

...and I will be quite happy with it, thank you very much! I'm sure there is something else I would rather do with the remaining 475.00! :lol

I've decided to print out a (not quite accurate, but close enough) phaser I received as files from another RPF member, until I can buy the mcfarlane one. IMG_20180125_071109.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back