ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

+Altered and finished my gloves; just need to dye.
+Ordered my fabric swatches for the coat and scarf.
+Currently mocking up pattern alterations with tracing paper for the coat. I'm trying to get the back similar to Cassian's with the....slits? I have no idea what they are called, I'm self taught so I don't know any terms at all. I found a jacket of my dad's that has them, on paper and on my dummy it looks like I've figured it out. Going to check my fabric stash to see if I have something for sewing a test run.

I have not seen any feedback, in terms of what I need to alter, from anyone on Legion about the rest of the costume so I'm operating with the assumption that it's fine. Need to look into another pair boots as I was going to color a pair brown but I don't think they will fit the standards, and they were not very comfortable anyways. I was kind of hoping maybe I could also find the FRYE boots cheap on Poshmark or Depop since I have accounts on both but my very average size of 7 1/2 isn't coming up. Oh well.

Last edited:
Now that Celebration is over I'm going to take a short break and then start on the jacket, scarf, and tonfa for Jyn's Jedha costume. My boyfriend is now pondering whether he wants a Cassian Andor jacket, and since Jyn's and Cassian's are so very similar, it seems appropriate to make them around the same time. I ordered the Burda 7018 jacket pattern today and some swatches for the jacket fabric. I also tried to get the ANOVOS guy at SWCO to hold up Jyn's scarf, but he refused "because stitching", and I said, "Yeah, that's what I want to see..." Derp. Ahh well.

I hope those people who made it to SWCO had a great time! I'm also sorry our Jyns didn't have a chance to meet up. It seemed that a lot of people wore their costumes the day before our meeting day, so we don't have an RPF photo, but I've been watching the Instagram feeds of various RPF costumers and it looks like everybody had a fantastic time and looked awesome doing it!

What kind of fabric are you guys using for the jacket? Anovos says their Jyn is a Poly/Cotton Drill Blend, but I can't seem to find Drill?

Going to make my first cosplay soon starting with Cassian. Jackets up first, just bought the Dawn Anderson 701 Falcon pattern in hopes it'll be a good pattern for future Star Wars Jackets

The only Cotton Drill I have found listed in the US was at JoAnn's but it only comes in natural and will have to be dyed.
Found it where they keep the Sports Nylon.

Like division 6, JoAnn's is the only "local" source I could find for Drill fabric. It is unbleached and so it does have a natural cotton color with flecks of brown throughout. So you may end up needing to both bleach and dye the fabric if you are looking for a uniform color (no pun intended). It is worth a trip to the store to examine the weight and "hand" (and maybe to buy a quarter yard) of the fabric for no other reason to compare it to other 100% cotton choices you might be considering.

For other shoppers you can also use the search terms "Khaki Drill" or KD (the original British abbreviation) which can provide more options. The KD fabric is likely the correct one for Cassian's "brownish" jacket. Jyn's is more "Olive Drab" or OD (the American abbreviation). If you find old-source fabric listed as military OD you may very well be looking at a drill fabric. So military surplus may provide some options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome guys! This is very helpful for my start. I will probably be around for more pointers. I love seeing everyone's progress pictures! 2019 SWC can't come soon enough ����

What kind of fabric are you guys using for the jacket? Anovos says their Jyn is a Poly/Cotton Drill Blend, but I can't seem to find Drill?

Going to make my first cosplay soon starting with Cassian. Jackets up first, just bought the Dawn Anderson 701 Falcon pattern in hopes it'll be a good pattern for future Star Wars Jackets

Drill is a "sturdy fabric with a pronounced uneven twill weave, and usually a left hand or Z weave (the visible diagonal lines on the surface go the same way as the letter Z, and aren't at a 90 degree angle.)

Depending on where you're looking, a sturdy -- (more stiff than drapey) -- stiff chino or khaki, medium-weight denim, bull denim, or a stiff bottom-weight or upholstery-weight cotton twill will work and look much the same. I got the impression that U.K. fabric stores used the term drill more often than US stores.

Last edited:
For other shoppers you can also use the search terms "Khaki Drill" or KD (the original British abbreviation) which can provide more options. The KD fabric is likely the correct one for Cassian's "brownish" jacket. Jyn's is more "Olive Drab" or OD (the American abbreviation). If you find old-source fabric listed as military OD you may very well be looking at a drill fabric. So military surplus may provide some options.

There was discussion while putting together the Rebel Legion standard on the jacket that settled on "gray green." Most ODs will definitely lean too saturated and green, more blue than sage green (depending on supplier) but the military "foliage green" might be the closest official color.

That color discussion is here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81534&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

There was discussion while putting together the Rebel Legion standard on the jacket that settled on "gray green." Most ODs will definitely lean too saturated and green, more blue than sage green (depending on supplier) but the military "foliage green" might be the closest official color.

That color discussion is here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81534&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Any reason why there isn't Cassian standards? Or am I just blind lol

Thank you guys so much for all of your help! Celebration was a blast. I have a TON of updates to make on Jyn, but I ended up ordering the ANOVOS set and will mod it as necessary.This is what I ended up with:

17991244_10155932703445752_3489150885816152447_n.jpg18010997_10155929564385752_4503949244327589781_n.jpg

FOR THOSE OF YOU MAKING THE EADU COSTUME: I'm thinking of ordering the ANOVOS Concho. Does anyone know how to do the bag, greeblies, and oxygen tank? I know we've ID'ed the Cebe 15 ski goggles and military cap, but I'm unsure how to do the rest. And which blaster does she carry?

Here's some close ups, from Flickr:

27831698063_51819db6c3_b.jpg28415515676_cd852526e9_b.jpg28415528586_0f363b9e2d_b.jpg28342906052_7e7fecd7f4_b.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
THE EADU COSTUME. And which blaster does she carry?

She is wearing the same blaster as her other outfits, but in a "sniper" version which seems to have better coverage in the video game than in the movie. The basic blaster has an extended barrel and scope. The following is an image from the game.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=704389&d=1486334081&thumb=1

The barrel extension is the device you see partial uncovered on her left side on the photos. There is a great deal more information available on the sister thread

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255244

but since it has "Felicity Jones" label instead of "Jyn Erso" many may miss it. Good luck.

She is wearing the same blaster as her other outfits, but in a "sniper" version which seems to have better coverage in the video game than in the movie. The basic blaster has an extended barrel and scope. The following is an image from the game.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=704389&d=1486334081&thumb=1

The barrel extension is the device you see partial uncovered on her left side on the photos. There is a great deal more information available on the sister thread

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255244

but since it has "Felicity Jones" label instead of "Jyn Erso" many may miss it. Good luck.

Thank you! Doesn't she have another blaster as well? I thought she had her regular blaster in its holster, and also a large one. You can see it best on the toys:

Jyn-Erso-Eadu-10-Thumb.jpg

People keep saying her jacket is Olive. Even Anovos said Olive, but it is NOT. Olive is a more YELLOW GREEN. The color we are looking for I would call a CYPRESS (Which is a green with a blue tone to it)

I took my Pantone guide to the Anovos booth at Celebration, since they didn't seem to bother bringing any costumes for us to look at (I'm still mad about this, they brought costumes to all the other Celebrations) and found the best matches I could without being able to lay them directly on the fabric. This is what I came up with:

pantonejacket.jpg

These greens have a definite blue hint to them, and a lot of added black. The color was very muted, which is key. Lighting is a biatch with this type of color.
My own jacket looked about this hue under more yellow lighting, but turned out too blue under other lighting. Now that I have some pantone colors, I can use their formula to help me pick some other dye mixes to test, so here is my first version of the jacket. The camera picked it up a little bluer and lighter than it is in real life. My first attempt at silk screening failed, so I fused suede leather for the stripes for this first version.

jacket005.jpg

verdaera I completely agree with you, where were the costumes at SWCO? I thought for sure there would be a booth with some on display, and I was looking forward to seeing what Jyn's pants color looks like in person. Also what was up with the ANOVOS people being so weird about the garments on display? In any case, I love the suede stripes on your jacket and think that looks just lovely. I also saw one person make puff paint stripes on her jacket and other than it being slightly messy, it was quite nice. I also ordered a bunch of swatches for the jacket from Fabric.com and I made sure to choose colors that were less yellow-green and more blue-green, based on your recent work on the jacket.

I also have an update for things to look out for if submitting Jyn's basic costume to The Rebel Legion. First, I made my glove wrist straps upside down! I have several photos of Jyn Erso saved where it looks like the angled side of the wrist straps is pointing toward the arm, not the fingers, so that's what I ran with. I was wrong! So all I have to do is flip the wrist straps from one glove to the other so that the angled side points towards the fingers on each glove. In addition to this, though, the straps must be 1", and mine are slightly too wide at 1.5", so I have to trim them down before reattaching them. I suppose the size of the wrist straps is much more obvious on my hands, which are comically small.

In addition to this, the collar edges must be angled (http://imgur.com/gPgmwZq), and mine are too straight. This means I have to seam-rip the lining, remove the collar, stitch angles into the collar, reattach it, and stitch the lining back into place. I already started seam-ripping this morning but I had surgery on Wednesday and Vicodin + seam ripping really doesn't seem like a safe idea (I nearly almost seam-ripped myself, so I had to stop). Ugh, but I just want to fix this! The angle of the collar is not mentioned in the updated standard on the Fringe forum which is probably why I missed it. I even thought about it when constructing the vest, too, but thought, "hey, it's not in the standard, so..." Nuts. I think it'll be a fairly easy fix once I'm recovered.

I know many of us have been adamant about colors we've chosen for this costume and I've been so pleased with the colors of the pants/blouse for my rendition of Jyn Erso. It was suggested by my judge that I dye the blouse and pants darker gray, but it's optional. I've been fretting about the colors of these and might just give in, but I'm not sure yet. I'm still talking myself through this collar business.

Finally I need to weather everything more. The nylon kept soaking up the acrylic paint I slathered all over it before SWCO, but I'll just have to be more messy with it.

I hope this message makes sense! I only took one Vicodin this morning, but that was just enough to make me useless for seam-ripping, in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how hard it is to do puff paint for the stripes? Or is there a better alternative that will still meet legion requirements that look just as good?

Regular puff paint doesn't work all that well from the experiment I did.

I did 4 layers brushed on and had to cut through it to remove the tape masking.

It also stays pretty glossy and rubbery.

You could try silk screen ink with the puff additive
If you want to try screening it you can get a starter kit in the $70 range or even cheaper if you do a diy version (check out YouTube)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back