Test piece. Feedback wanted

RvanAken

I made a small test piece of a wall to see how I can make it realistic looking. It's made from XPS foam and painted with acrylic paint.

What do you think about it, any tips to make it even better?

I've started to make a typical Texelse (a Dutch island) sheep barn and want to make it as realistic as I can.

Attachments

• InstagramCapture_6e56f7ab-e7e3-4e05-a672-5965e4d2f1ff.jpg
    InstagramCapture_6e56f7ab-e7e3-4e05-a672-5965e4d2f1ff.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 222
I think it looks good! The sculpting of the foam is very convincing. I see the pattern has some odd shaped pieces, added to depict a 'repair' I expect. But would they look the same colors as the original material of the wall, or be more of a 'stone' coloration (not being original brick?) Same logic applies to any weathering - imagine the 'back story' of the wall (ah, this part has more shadow, it is a damp location, it is a sunny location, etc.) to arrive at further refinements to the color treatment. Great fun to do, eh?

Regards, Robert

Well, this thread popped up just in time! I'm about to embark on making a "real" looking miniature of a fantasy-style cottage, and these leads couldn't have been more timely!

BTW the wall looks lovely. Any tips on how you went about it?

SB

rbeach84, you spotted the wall repair. Those stones have a gray basecoat but the difference isn't easily seen in the picture
blue2k, I like the idea of a water stain. Any tips on creating one?
StevenBills, I found some great tutorials on YouTube, I'll try to post them this evening when I'm at home. It's not that hard, just a lot of work. You'll have to trace the stones about three times. First marking them with a pen, then cutting them and then retracing them with a pen beveling the individual stones. To create a more interesting wall you can push a few stones in.

-R-

Last edited by a moderator:
@blue2k, I like the idea of a water stain. Any tips on creating one?

Sorry, I have no idea. I have never made a scale model or diorama before. I am unfamiliar with the materials. Perhaps if you get some reference images of water damaged brick, you can replicate the effect using stains and varnishes?

i used these tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXb6EfDrmMsc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ6MRzDCNc from the terrain wench.

Most tutorials on youtube use heat to create the lines between the bricks but that gives a cartoony look to the walls i think. Or they only use a pen to inscribe the stones which a shallow line that can easily disappear while painting. This technique creates "individual" stones which stand out after painting with out getting to "cartoony"

-R-

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back