Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

As there is a decided lack of any leadership at Lucasfilm, it seems that rumors are the only things that are feeding the news needs of a ravenous Star Wars audience, as illustrated by you jumping on to comment about a video you didnt even watch, like a sea gull on to a hot chip.

I commented on the visual presented in the video, which I saw.
As to the content of the video beyond that, I said nothing, made no attempt to refute or argue with it's points, whatever they might be.
It's a little weird to say I logged in just to comment on that video. I check a couple times a day to see if there's anything new worth commenting on, more if a thread is moving fast and I'm available to play along. Like most of us do, I imagine.

As there is a decided lack of any leadership at Lucasfilm, it seems that rumors are the only things that are feeding the news needs of a ravenous Star Wars audience, as illustrated by you jumping on to comment about a video you didnt even watch, like a sea gull on to a hot chip.

Knowing there is only rumor and speculation, you posted the video anyways. Ridiculous.

LoL it's just someone reading off a screen with annoying graphics and wild rumours from an "undisclosed" source. Much ado about nothing.

This whole thread is based on rumor and speculation. I enjoyed the video. Sure it might not all be true but it might not be all untrue either. One thing I'm sure of is that everything is not all peachy over at Lucasfilm.

Half of what we talk about in this forum is rumor and speculation, it certainly has its place. But yeah, much fist waving over nothing so far.

There is no doubt that SW as a brand is facing a troubling future. Where you want to apportion the blame depends on alot of opinion but these last couple of weeks BO kind of proves at least one thing to me.

If you look at this weekend and the last there was a huge box office take with both "Incredibles 2" and "Jurassic World 2"
. We24/6 we 17/6 worldwide total
JW2 $150 m - $711 m
I2 $80 m $182 m $485 m
DP2 $5 m $8 m $707 m
Solo $4 m $10 m $353 m

The reason Solo did not do the huge BO is there simply was just no general public interest in the movie. Its as easy as that.
Its not the boycott, because outside the fandom there was very little social media knowledge it was happening at all . That may have lost them between $5 to $10 million at the most. But its obvious that the bulk of the money for blockbusters comes from the ordinary cinema goers.
And its clear that TLJ DID have a significant impact on general audiences opinions of SW and that was reflected in Solos figures. Alot of people outside the fandom I've talked to thought it was just a very average story and a weaker film than they would have expected. The general levels of respect and appreciation held for the franchise were eroded by this more quickly than expected and thats reflected in SOLOs BO.

Case in point.The original Jurassic Park.
That had exactly the same popular impact that SW:ANH had on a generation of movie goers back in the seventies.That first movie is so very well loved. And that was repaid with interest with its return in" Jurassic Worlds" huge $2 billion take,similar to that of TFA.
Nostalgia and affection have a massive influence on people wanting to go to see a film on release week. They want to remember and be remineded about what they loved about it. I do think JW2 will suffer a similar drop to TLJ, as the story is not as strong and will not able to sustain those hugely important repeat viewings ( but its still had a strong performance globally).

Want more proof?
Incredibles 2. Fourteen years have passed since the first one. And again this is a hugely loved movie with the general public. So the sequel had another great openning despite having slightly weaker storyl, but overall its still been very well recieved by families and critics alike . It was judged to be tonely consistent with the first and thus felt like a properly planned sequel. Note the lack of any really negative critiscism of it anywhere.
These BO figures show exactly what is NOT happening with the SW brand. General perception with the public is that competitively its just coming in poor second, and its failling to trigger that essentail nostalgic appreciation .

There is no doubt that Lucasfilm disrupted the franchise by doing what it did with the story and characters in TLJ and in so doing generating a large amount of very vocal criticism with the fandom, which has had the unfortunate effect of leading to the dislike being capitalized on by social media channels that directly profit from promoting that discontent and negativity.

But all this internet generated propaganda IS becoming counter productive because its promoting a growing idea with the general public that to say you might "like" SW movies is no longer a positive, particularly given that even more of the media is portraying that fans of the series are a certain dysfunctional stereo type.Which ,whilst being hugely unfair ,also drives more people away from the brand. The entire argument its self is becoming newsworthy:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...at-would-the-200m-fan-funded-remake-look-like

And this kind of perception is further NOT being helped when Lucasfilm and their employees respond in kind. Thats NOT at all professional as its just fanning the flames and turning the brand "toxic" for everybody. When you get this kind of stuff is printed in a national newspaper its time to be worried.

If I were head of DIsney I would have a very serious conversation with those people producing these movies and point out VERY CLEARLY, that considering the amount of money they are being paid that they should be able to react ( or more importantly NOT react ) in a manner that does not continue to grow anger amoungst the elements of the fandom that want to react to it and allow this terrible publicity to grow.

Alot of social media is now becoming a dangerous click bait snare in the "opinion" game. At least Marvel shows how to handle it when this inevitable question is raised once again:

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...cters-Tessa-Thompson-reveals-Valkyrie-bi.html

Personally I'm very bored of this. "Sense8" proved there is no mass audience no matter how much they want to believe there is. But they can't resist bring the same question up at almost every press conference everywhere. Because it gets attention.

This latest demand to refilm TLJ is another case in point. I don't believe for a second they have managed to raise this amount of money, but its all about sending a message to Disney/ Lucasfilm (as if anybody at believes they haven't got it already).

There is no possible way this will ever happen.

People on both sides just need to find away to use their time and energy more constructively.

Last edited:

Again it's all audience perspective, Luke taught himself to use telekinesis in the Wampa cave, we clearly see him concentrating on the attempt. I didn't get any sense that any outside influence was making him do it. ...

As far as my screenwriting knowledge goes we get a little exposition served in that Wampa cave. Luke has a new power, it is not necessary for the viewer to know HOW he acquires it but that he can do this. It is important to show this early in the movie to make the sequence with Yoda believable, where Luke is taught about how powerful the Force can be. In addition, we later on see Vader use that very same skill in his battle with Luke. So, it is simply setting up the rules of the movie´s world. Very basic movie writing and storytelling. Totally abandoned in TLJ.

Now what exactly was the topic of this thread, again?

Knowing there is only rumor and speculation, you posted the video anyways. Ridiculous.

I see that your a new member so you obviously have`nt had a lot of experience of how this forum operates. Another rumor about Disney putting a lot of Star Wars movie projects on hold was posted recently and many here seemed to enjoy very much involving themselves in it. The person who made the video has a good reputation in the business and it contained information that directly relates to the thread topic. Its actually hilarious how triggered some get at this particular thread and are fine with others.

Case in point.The original Jurassic Park.
That had exactly the same popular impact that SW:ANH had on a generation of movie goers back in the seventies.That first movie is so very well loved. And that was repaid with interest with its return in" Jurassic Worlds" huge $2 billion take,similar to that of TFA.
Nostalgia and affection have a massive influence on people wanting to go to see a film on release week. They want to remember and be remineded about what they loved about it. I do think JW2 will suffer a similar drop to TLJ, as the story is not as strong and will not able to sustain those hugely important repeat viewings ( but its still had a strong performance globally).

I haven't read most of this thread nor am I going to get into whether or not Star Wars has jumped the shark or not and who's to blame etc. But I think this is a bit of a hyperbole to say that the impact that JP had on popular culture was the exact same as the impact that Star Wars had.

This isn't to diminish the Jurassic Park franchise in any way, but Star Wars redefined what 'Hollywood blockbuster' meant, not to mention how movies were made and marketed.

People weren't going to movies just to see the trailer for Jurassic World and then walking out of the theater... and people aren't certainly paying mid to high six figures for a cryo can production made prop or for a 2" JP toy figure because it has a piece of vinyl for a cape instead of cloth....

I haven't read most of this thread nor am I going to get into whether or not Star Wars has jumped the shark or not and who's to blame etc. But I think this is a bit of a hyperbole to say that the impact that JP had on popular culture was the exact same as the impact that Star Wars had.

This isn't to diminish the Jurassic Park franchise in any way, but Star Wars redefined what 'Hollywood blockbuster' meant, not to mention how movies were made and marketed.

People weren't going to movies just to see the trailer for Jurassic World and then walking out of the theater... and people aren't certainly paying mid to high six figures for a cryo can production made prop or for a 2" JP toy figure because it has a piece of vinyl for a cape instead of cloth....

You missed the entire point of my post.

Its the bulk of ordinary cinema goers that determines whether a movie IS a commercial success, not the smaller but far more vocal fanbase. In these days the trend is even more noticable with social media, because if people have a lot of good will towards a film because of the experience it delivered they will pass it on to family and friends and their wider range of contacts through the likes of Facebook and Youtube.

That makes it a hit or not.

And you are wrong about Jurassic Park. That had a huge amount of publicity for its "realistic" dinosaurs and a massive amount of interest at its time of release . They had interview after interview of just ordinary people on TV saying how brilliant the effects were.And it did near a billion back in the day when a billion was a LOT of money and it was one of the best selling VHS releases ever back in the 90's. Over a third of America watched it when it was televised for the first time, something around 70 million and the entire franchise has made about $5 billion so far.

Has it the intense fanbase SW has thenthe answer is definitely NO. But it has a general popularity with the everyday viewer thats probably nearly as strong.
And that was my whole point.

The general popularity of SW is taking a noticable knock at the moment, driven mainly by this on line war between Lucasfilm /DIsney and a very small percentage of the fanbase, but it IS starting to attract alot of attention from general news and media outlets, and that IS damaging the brand further.
No film company wants that.
But when you get a *** for tat sniping game, with demands to remake the movie, people on youtube channels posting video after yet another video analysing a rumour about a rumour about a tweet or comment "somewhere" and passing it off as a " revolution" just so to bump there numbers up it portrays SW fans in a rather poor light, and as a life long SW fan I can object to that.

Watching this evolve to the levels it has here is rather saddening. We've lost a few good people on bothsides of this argument and this place is lessened for the loss of their voices.

Last edited:

The general popularity of SW is taking a noticable knock at the moment, driven mainly by this on line war between Lucasfilm /DIsney and a very small percentage of the fanbase, but it IS starting to attract alot of attention from general news and media outlets, and that IS damaging the brand further.
No film company wants that.
But when you get a *** for tat sniping game, with demands to remake the movie, people on youtube channels posting video after yet another video analysing a rumour about a rumour about a tweet or comment "somewhere" and passing it off as a " revolution" just so to bump there numbers up it portrays SW fans in a rather poor light, and as a life long SW fan I can object to that.

Watching this evolve to the levels it has here is rather saddening. We've lost a few good people on bothsides of this argument and this place is lessened for the loss of their voices.

Oh please, analysing a rumour about a rumour has been the backbone of the entertainment business since day one. Would you just prefer to have the old establishment outlets dispense and discuss them? The amount of trash, mouthpiece show business news outlets far outstrip the number of You Tube channels that counter their shill, paid for voices. This continued blindness to the fact the number of people very unhappy with the state of Star Wars and the way they as critics are being portrayed is huge and not just some vocal minority, is laughable. Perhaps we should just let the likes of Rian Johnson dictate and control the narrative of the state of things, No way.

All these rumours are only allowed to exist if the ones they focus on remain silent and Disney and Lucasfilm remain steadfastly silent on every single one that is raised. The old days of letting their mouthpiece outlets do the talking for them are well and truly over and the faster they wake up to that fact and address the issues people have themselves, the better for everyone.

When did a type of ‘ bird ‘ get censored ... i.e. Eurasian Blue *** !? :angel:lol

Ged

Oh please, analysing a rumour about a rumour has been the backbone of the entertainment business since day one. Would you just prefer to have the old establishment outlets dispense and discuss them? The amount of trash, mouthpiece show business news outlets far outstrip the number of You Tube channels that counter their shill, paid for voices. This continued blindness to the fact the number of people very unhappy with the state of Star Wars and the way they as critics are being portrayed is huge and not just some vocal minority, is laughable. Perhaps we should just let the likes of Rian Johnson dictate and control the narrative of the state of things, No way.

All these rumours are only allowed to exist if the ones they focus on remain silent and Disney and Lucasfilm remain steadfastly silent on every single one that is raised. The old days of letting their mouthpiece outlets do the talking for them are well and truly over and the faster they wake up to that fact and address the issues people have themselves, the better for everyone.

I can see and appreciate where both you and @CutThumb are coming from , and I can find both arguments containing valid points .
It’s just a pity that a phenomenon like Star Wars through relatively current ‘ mismanagement ‘ has brought us to this sorry state of affairs ... like so much else in the ‘ real world ‘ .

:cheersGed

Last edited:

Well this is Star Wars we are talking about, the number one movie series of all time and it totally dominates every other subject of discussion at this forum. Its of absolutely no surprise to me that a forum like You Tube and other outlets have a large amount of people who want in on discussing it or the people who discuss it, especially when a huge amount of people believe that its being mismanaged.

Don’t forget JP finally showed what can be done with, finally, incredible ground breaking state of the art CGI.

People I knew showed up just for that.

This isn't to diminish the Jurassic Park franchise in any way, but Star Wars redefined what 'Hollywood blockbuster' meant, not to mention how movie made

The reason Solo did not do the huge BO is there simply was just no general public interest in the movie. Its as easy as that.
Its not the boycott, because outside the fandom there was very little social media knowledge it was happening at all .

You're entitled to your opinion, but honestly I'm not sure how you could arrive at that opinion. If you take the time to read the comments sections for any of the recent articles discussing Ron Howard's hope that fans judge Solo on its own merits alone, it becomes clear why folks skipped the movie. Sure there's the odd person saying they didn't need to tell Han's backstory, but you'll see many, many more comments about how bad TLJ was, and it quickly becomes obvious that this had the greatest impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back