2017 SECRET SANTA THREAD - Entry now CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit late, but merry Christmas (and/or happy holidays) everyone :)

I didn't open my SS gift on Christmas Eve as originally planned, but I opened it Christmas night, and it turned out to be a custom made Star Wars: The Last Jedi poster. Naturally I immediately snapped a pic of it, and here it is (I used some of my Star Wars Blu-rays and phone to hold down the corners, they weren't part of the gift)...

My_2017_SS_Gift.jpg

As you can see it is a beautiful poster, and I was pretty shocked to discover it was custom made, as it looks even better than some of the official posters! My SS included a note, and in it he mentioned that he thought he might be being a bit pretentious by assuming someone would be interested in or want his work as a gift. So first of all I just want to say, you were definitely wrong to think that, I (and I'm sure many others) would definitely WANT your work, as it is absolutely beautiful and (like I already mentioned) better than A LOT of official movie posters.

I'm a huge fan/collector of posters (I literally have dozens of all sizes, possibly hundreds if I count all my doubles/triples/etc :lol), and I absolutely love custom made items, so this was basically the perfect type of gift for me. The only downside, and I feel like a bit of a jerk saying this, but I do kind of wish the poster was for a different movie. Of course that's only because I ended up being quite disappointed with The Last Jedi :( (the movie, not the gift/poster). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed TLJ, it just had a lot of things I disliked (and most aren't the little things everyone else is freaking out about). However, my Secret Santa couldn't have possibly known that would end up being the case (even I was shocked that I didn't absolutely love it), and the fact that the movie was a bit of a disappointment (for me anyways) doesn't make the poster any less awesome :thumbsup

Thanks BatMcFly! I would consider myself lucky to receive another custom poster from you in a future SS, as would any other member here I'm sure :)

Oh and I don't know if I'll be framing it anytime soon (mainly because I literally have at least a dozen other posters I've really been wanting/meaning to get framed/displayed for quite awhile), but if by chance I do I will definitely post a pic or two in this thread. Which reminds me, when/if you see this post (BatMcFly), I'd love to know the poster's exact dimensions, as I forgot to measure it when I took the pic, and I've already rolled it back up and stored it safely with my (many) other rolled/unframed posters.

I'm so relieved that you liked it! Thank you for the encouraging words! I had the "visual metaphor" pretty early, but still took some time to flesh out.

The only downside, and I feel like a bit of a jerk saying this, but I do kind of wish the poster was for a different movie. Of course that's only because I ended up being quite disappointed with The Last Jedi :( (the movie, not the gift/poster). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed TLJ, it just had a lot of things I disliked (and most aren't the little things everyone else is freaking out about).
No worries about wishing it was a different film, I was quite disappointed with the film as well. Dreading next year. Ironic, the poster that I feel came out best was for the movie that I liked the least. I'll just do a crappy job next time, and the movie will be better.

I'd love to know the poster's exact dimensions...
The dimensions are 24x36 inches.

I don't really post my work anywhere...but what the heck:
Luke Poster.jpg

Hope you have an amazing new year.

Thanks again Michael for running this again!

100_6074.JPG

Today fianlly I got the gift from my Secret Santa. It's an accurate resin model of the Death Star Gun Tower, an instructions manual how he did it and some refernce photos. This is really great idea.
According to the address he is from the UK, but didn't leave his username.
So thank you very much for this great gift.

Dietrich

The week old Turkey has almost gone...so close!

Anyway, back home now so time for some photos of what I got from my Secret Santa :D

A letter first...
IMG_3782.JPG

Which by the way, was rolled up in this incredible Ezy Freeze Mug with A New Hope poster on it!

IMG_3781.JPG

I saw a glimmer of gold wrapped up inside this mug and somehow knew instantly that either Smaug or some Dwarfes would come looking for me. They now sit among my one ring and lego Dwarfes.
IMG_3780.JPG

Finally, the Peacock's Eye from The Temple of Doom
IMG_3779.JPG

Very happy with all of this, thank you so much 'Secret Santa' ;)

The week old Turkey has almost gone...so close!

Anyway, back home now so time for some photos of what I got from my Secret Santa :D

A letter first...
View attachment 783316

Which by the way, was rolled up in this incredible Ezy Freeze Mug with A New Hope poster on it!

View attachment 783315

I saw a glimmer of gold wrapped up inside this mug and somehow knew instantly that either Smaug or some Dwarfes would come looking for me. They now sit among my one ring and lego Dwarfes.
View attachment 783314

Finally, the Peacock's Eye from The Temple of Doom
View attachment 783313

Very happy with all of this, thank you so much 'Secret Santa' ;)

Wow.... any one of those would be a great SS gift. Well done SS... well done indeed. I'm loving this year's above and beyond gifts......

I LOVE CHRISTMAS AND WHAT IT BRINGS OUT IN PEOPLE.....

So, as I returned from my short trip to the family's place for the holidays, after a long drive, I arrived home to an empty doorstep...still no Secret Santa! Resigning my self to another day wondering what magnificent items would await me once the gift arrived, I sauntered inside. Hours later, long since the sun had set, the door bell rings. Not wanting more disappointment, I let my roommate answer the door for me. He returns from around the corner with a large package. Could it be?! NO, don't get your hopes up! Wait...it is?! YES!
View attachment 782850 View attachment 782851
The box looked a little worse for wear, but I was just glad I was going to get to open something finally! (I am a very impatient person, haha.) Opening the box, I found a nicely packed and beautifully wrapped present. What could be inside?

View attachment 782852 View attachment 782853 View attachment 782854
First was a mysteriously stamped box, inside of which was proof that I shall now serve as hand of the king! What an honor. Along with this was an awesome medieval/viking drinking tankard. Wow! These are both so cool, blown away this year.

After some expert level sleuthing on my part, I'm confident in thanking @joshvanrad
for these lovely gifts this year. After inspecting these, I have to ask, did you make them yourself? Fantastic craftsmanship on both. Either way they're still awesome, was just curious. Also, do you happen to know if the tankard is drink-safe? I'm always super paranoid about these kind of things haha. If not, I have the perfect place on my shelf for it, but if it happens to be, I'd love to have many drinks from it in your honor.

Thanks again Josh, and of course to Michael, who without we wouldn't have all this fun each year. Merry Christmas everybody, and Happy New Year!
There's actually another little something on the way. It was taking too long and I couldn't keep waiting on it, so I shipped the GoT gifts out so you'd get the bulk of it.

Glad you like it. I hope you do your part in serving the realm. The alehorn is safe to drink from, but you have to be careful when cleaning it. I did not make them this year. I was too busy so I had to outsource.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
There's actually another little something on the way. It was taking too long and I couldn't keep waiting on it, so I shipped the GoT gifts out so you'd get the bulk of it.

Glad you like it. I hope you do your part in serving the realm. The alehorn is safe to drink from, but you have to be careful when cleaning it. I did not make them this year. I was too busy so I had to outsource.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow! Really? Now I'm excited all over again haha. Thank you my friend. I'll have a nice cold one in the alehorn tonight in your honor.

This post has been long overdue so I apologize for that! My secret Santa did an amazing job and I'm super appreciative with the hard work they poured into their gift. Recently I've taken a serious interest in Stephen King and this year "IT" was among many of my reads.
Things started off while I was away at college and my brother received an eerie postcard from Derry Maine with an interesting note tying to King's stories.
As Christmas got closer I received the Pennywise Jack in the box that now sits proudly on my shelf. Later, the beautiful canvas "circus" print arrived with some very well written and interesting letters again involving some interlinked Stephen King stories! I can't thank my Santa enough for the hard work they poured into these gifts, and they're now my most prized pieces of my King collection! I hope you've all had a Very Merry Christmas and I'd like to wish you a Happy New Year!
View attachment 782521View attachment 782522View attachment 782523View attachment 782524View attachment 782525View attachment 782526
Very very cool

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Oh very nice...Trekky ot Trekker? Personally.... I'm easy with both as i'm equally at home with both Star Wars and Star Trek..... (Hunkers down for rocks to be thrown from both camps)......

I JUST LOVE SCI FI.......HOWEVER..? (MUCH bigger rocks to be thrown.....) I just don't get on with Blade Runner......boom boom...boom.. (feels friends slipping away).....

Hey, everybody! I wanted to share a few pics of the gift I got. I cannot describe the joy and awe I felt at receiving this awesome gift... my SS obviously put a lot of time and effort into making it, and wrapping it. I just don't have the right words. Thank-you SO, SO much for the awesome gift, Santa. I couldn't be happier. :D Unfortunately, I haven't been able to load any pics here for the last two days, but I will keep trying. I wanted to give a proper thank-you, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back