TIE pilot helmet conundrum: Anovos, Dan Laws, RS or SDS?

oxixo

Greetings!

First post. I'm wanting to order my first TIE pilot helmet, but there are so many vendors / sellers. However, as I already have my heart set on Anovos, I hear Dan Laws makes one of the most accurate helmets. Then again, so does RS. And so does....

Below is a list of my choices of helmets, in order of preference.

Anovos - I've heard the quality build is great. IMHO its the most "bad-ass" looking pilot helmet, esp the sharper, more angular eye-shape and smaller size of the eyes!
Dan Laws - looks really, really, I mean REALLY authentic! Is Dan still around? I know he's on Facebook, but he hasn't returned my msg. :(
RS - again, their props look really good, but I've not really heard/read any reviews
SDS - back to where it began. Inasmuchas I would love a helmet from the original helmet makers themselves, I'm quite leery of a 40+ year old mold.
IH - made great helmets but AWOL?
Portumac
Jarvis
fenixprops.com
Starfortress.com - their website has some interesting stuff, but unfortunately, I've also read some not-so-stellar reviews.

Please comment on each vendor / seller, so I at least know who I'm dealing with. As I've said, I am currently researching all over the forums and the interwebz for reviews, recommendations, suggestions. etc. Unf., some of the thread here are so old, that none of the pictures are available.

Can someone kindly post pictures of their Anovos TIE pilot helmet?

Thanks, peeps!

I'm going to go ahead and add more options to your list; you can find both on Facebook:

Pilot Bay - they make great rebel and tie pilot outfits, from the hardware to the soft goods

WTF/Walt's Trooper Factory - Walt only sells the kit, but he has guys in his FB group who'll build it for you

I know a lot of people don't like SDS because of his tactics and I wold have to agree with them, but I would say his Tie helmet is one of the most accurate ones out there in terms of overall shape/ dimensions. Many of the details on the SDS are off but the size/ shape are quite accurate. I bought my SDS a looong time ago before all of the controversy surrounded him. I still have it and i still think it is probably the most accurate of all the helmets he has produced as well.

I just had an Anovos and just recently sold it. It is a very nice helmet, well built with nice materials but is not as accurate as the SDS, and seems a bit 'squashed', that is, the face is a bit too short.

I have never owned a Laws Tie but they have always looked a bit off to me.

So as far as accuracy to the screen used I would list them as follows:
1.SDS
2.IH
3. RS / Laws
4. all the rest

RS makes nice TIE Helmets but I believe they use the 'stunt' face plate as a base, which is incorrect as the 'hero' faceplate was used for the screen props, so it has the wrong shape.

I have heard that the IH Tie helmet was quite accurate but very hard to find. I remember reading somewhere that someone had an SDS and an IH and compared them and they thought that the SDS was more accurate.

Hello, I purchased the SDS Tie Pilot Helmet and Chest Box Combo a few months ago, and I myself can say the helmet is one of the most accurate in terms of the overall shape, like Zenwalker said previously. The Chest Box will need some small modifications to make it screen accurate, but overall it is a very nice display piece and the modifications were not hard to make. RS Prop Masters would be the best bang for you buck if you were buying the Complete Tie Pilot Commission. (I ended up going with SDS because RS Prop Masters were out of stock at the time that I purchased the Tie Pilot Helmet and Chest Box Combo, So I had to buy all the soft goods to complete it separately.) My friend bought a Anovos Tie Pilot Helmet, and it was a very nice helmet but isn't as accurate as the SDS or RS Prop Masters Helmet. I would recommend going with SDS in the long run, and you also have the collectibility factor that it is made by the same person who manufactured the originals. I have never owned a Laws Tie Pilot Helmet but they look a little off in overall shape.

As far as screen accuracy I would list them as followed:
1. SDS
2. RS Prop Masters/ IH
3. Anovos
4. Laws and the other helmets

In the long run, I think you should go with the SDS Tie Pilot Helmet if you only want the helmet. But if you want the whole costume then I would go with RS Prop Masters. Hope this helped, TK10259.

One thing to be aware of: the Rogue One helmets are slightly different from the ANH/ROTJ helmets, and for the Inferno Squad (Battlefront II) characters, the designers used the R1 style. So If you're considering joining the 501st, you have options, but they're also limitations.

And the deal with SDS is long, nasty, and well, you get the idea. Short version, he's taking credit for others work, not his. He's flouting copyrights, was sued by LFL, and the resulting case lets him only sell in the UK i think.

Last i heard with Laws was the wait time was 2-3 years?

I've seen Jarvis' on here and I liked those.

Not sure i've seen any of the rest.

1. Don't buy anything from starfortress.
2. SDS does make a nice TIE helmet and I really like the torso bust they sell as a combo with helmet/chest armor, but as others mentioned they cannot ship to the USA. So bear that in mind.
3. RS makes a nice lid too, I have one (complete commission, currently on a torso mannequin that's a little bigger than what SDS sells. It's nice looking, and I believe the face mask is a modified stunt as others mentioned. Honestly, I don't think any TIE helmet has been produced that has an entirely accurate Hero faceplate, so until that happens they're all imperfect.

Also, Laws was always slow (haven't heard recently), and RS can be slow too, but considerably less than waiting several years.

Hello, I purchased the SDS Tie Pilot Helmet and Chest Box Combo a few months ago, and I myself can say the helmet is one of the most accurate in terms of the overall shape, like Zenwalker said previously. The Chest Box will need some small modifications to make it screen accurate, but overall it is a very nice display piece and the modifications were not hard to make. RS Prop Masters would be the best bang for you buck if you were buying the Complete Tie Pilot Commission. (I ended up going with SDS because RS Prop Masters were out of stock at the time that I purchased the Tie Pilot Helmet and Chest Box Combo, So I had to buy all the soft goods to complete it separately.) My friend bought a Anovos Tie Pilot Helmet, and it was a very nice helmet but isn't as accurate as the SDS or RS Prop Masters Helmet. I would recommend going with SDS in the long run, and you also have the collectibility factor that it is made by the same person who manufactured the originals. I have never owned a Laws Tie Pilot Helmet but they look a little off in overall shape.

As far as screen accuracy I would list them as followed:
1. SDS
2. RS Prop Masters/ IH
3. Anovos
4. Laws and the other helmets

In the long run, I think you should go with the SDS Tie Pilot Helmet if you only want the helmet. But if you want the whole costume then I would go with RS Prop Masters. Hope this helped, TK10259.

Anovos over Laws? I'll have some of what you are smoking. Lol!

I own several of the helmets mentioned on the list.

Laws makes fantastic helmets, but I've been asking him for a TIE for 5 years and it still hasn't happened, so unless you can buy one from a third party, I'd cross him off your list.

The Anovos is definately the best looking TIE helmet- well put together and shiney as hell! As others have said, it does appear slightly 'off' when compared to screen used- sort of an idealised version.

I own a IH helmet and it's very nice indeed- looks very similar to the SDS.

I would agree with others that the SDS is the nicest looking helmet (but most expensive), and ironically the best craftsmanship in terms of build quality. Only problem is the inaccurate trident, above the eyes. If you live outside the US, it's definately one you want to consider.

Last edited:
I'm going a different way. ATA makes a stormtrooper bucket that's already been 501st approved and is one of the go to bucket kits on white armor. Darthhair makes a reputable X Wing helmet. I'm using darhhiars x wing helmet kit adding a 3 inch strip instead of the 2 inch that comes with the kit and ATA sold me faceplates for the stormtrooper bucket. Both are ABS just like the originals. Now I need to make the Mohawk tips and ears pieces. I plan on buying the greebies from other reputable sellers.

I just had a hard time finding a good kit that wouldn't break the bank and others looked funny or more like recasts. Both these sellers make great kits so I decided to combine them and make my own.

Thanks, guys, for all of your feedback!

Just a few incoherent ramblings / points I'd like to make from what I've read so far:
D.Laws really takes YEARS to make a helmet?! Holy schmoly.... @Yorkie Fett - 5 years and he still hasn't made one yet?! geez.... is there a classifieds section here?
I've been hearing a lot that SDS makes great helmets, but I've also heard from some that SDS are not very accurate. How can this be? lol (Its like the time Charlie Chaplin entered a look-alike contest--- and lost!)
@Clutch --- I'll share some of what I'm smoking too, 'cuz I agree with @TK10259 re: Anovos v Laws :)
Starfortress --- no good? Shame, they sell some pretty htf items...
I forgot to mention Don Post. Are his helmets accurate? Are they worth $$$ nowadays?
Can anyone tell me the difference between ANH, ROTJ and R1 helmets?
Yeah, I definitely want an "idealized" helmet! ;-)

Don post helmets are smaller when compared to screen used.

Best reference site available is starwarshelmets.com

You will love that site, I have spent hours there

Hello, The Don Post Helmet is wonky and far from screen accurate, so I would cross that one off your list. In general there aren't that many differences between the ANH and ROTJ Helmets, But the R1 Helmets differ drastically. The R1 Helmets are symmetrical, while the ANH and ROTJ Helmets are not. If you live in the U.S. SDS can't ship there, But there is a way to get around that. Like Kevin stated above, I recommend you visit the site starwarshelmets.com. It is a great site and you truly will spend hours reading about helmets on there. DO NOT purchase from Starfortress Productions, If you want know why check out this link: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=32806 All in all, I hope this helps in making your decision. If you live in the U.S. and want to know how to get it shipped to you, feel free to PM me.

What does anovos make better than laws? Please enlighten me.

I thought I read somewhere that the Anovos helmet was based on the Laws helmet? Or, maybe I didn't read that and I was smoking something?

Wow, I just realized that I have been on this board for 11 years...crazy!

I guess I am addicted.

I thought I read somewhere that the Anovos helmet was based on the Laws helmet? Or, maybe I didn't read that and I was smoking something?

Wow, I just realized that I have been on this board for 11 years...crazy!

I guess I am addicted.

Wow. Thanks for reminding me that my life is flashing before my eyes. Lol!

You also made me realize that we are conversing with new members who do not realize what is out there in terms of accuracy.

Reasons why Anovos is more accurate than Laws Archive:

Crickets....

Lol!

Oh yeah, I totally missed this: SDS at the top of the list:

giphy.gif

Laws is basically vapor ware these days though. Not saying it's not the best, but i'm not making that effort if it's going to take 5 years. Besides, i thought someone in bought his molds and what not were selling "Laws helmets/armor" and DL was stopping the Tie Pilot?

I'm not sure about the Pilot, but, initially, Anovos' ATAT helmet was based on the MonCal, but apparently that changed mid stream.

I speak to Dan infrequently but probably on a more personal basis than most. He's been focusing primarily on pushing out snowtrooper kits. Myself and another friend pretty much convinced Dan to switch his business practice, which he fortunately did, i.e., not accepting $$ first, then making kits, but now he's making the kits first, THEN selling them. There's still been a few instances of issues, but out of them, only one of them was legitimately something Dan should have corrected (he eventually did). Others were actually people not paying attention to what they were ordering and getting angry for not doing their research. I do know he lost his job some time ago and he's doing this full time now.

As for the TIEs, he's told me that he was waiting till the end of the year (this along with the AT-AT). He's only got the helmet bucks, but sold the TIE armor bucks to a 501st Legion member who's been putting out kits.

Just as an aside, if anyone's got an Anovos TIE they're looking to unload, please message me! Looking for one

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back