Cronos - Vampire Device! Progress thread!!!

I'm more interested to know what kind of mold material will stand having molten metal poured into it? I know pewter melts at lower temperatures than ali or steel but even so it's still very hot. Does a regular silicone mold material stand those temperatures or do you need some sort of vulcanised rubber solution?

Excellent project and fantastic modelling skills by the way. A real inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does a regular silicone mold material stand those temperatures or do you need some sort of vulcanised rubber solution?

Something like Mould Max 60 will go to 290C(ish) I think, which is enough to hold molten pewter. It wont last super long (heat kills moulds) but will stand up to a decent number of pulls. If you want hotter or longer lasting I think you do have to move into the rubbers or have to do one off investment/sand castings.

I'm more interested to know what kind of mold material will stand having molten metal poured into it? I know pewter melts at lower temperatures than ali or steel but even so it's still very hot. Does a regular silicone mold material stand those temperatures or do you need some sort of vulcanised rubber solution?

Excellent project and fantastic modelling skills by the way. A real inspiration.

I use Moldmax 60 for the metal molds. Thanks!

I found the issue there is to control the pewter temperature just above melting. It gets easily too hot and then Moldmax 60 will degrade more quickly. Also if you have too much volume in the cast so that it takes a longer time to cool down. I use Moldmax 60 also to cast silicone boots for my 3D printer hot end. They last 6 month to a year, good stuff.

Something like Mould Max 60 will go to 290C(ish) I think, which is enough to hold molten pewter. It wont last super long (heat kills moulds) but will stand up to a decent number of pulls. If you want hotter or longer lasting I think you do have to move into the rubbers or have to do one off investment/sand castings.

Which is your favorite pewter composition? Do they have restrictions on which pewter alloy can be used for the process? I am always curious to learn about the experiences artists have with different compositions and retention of model detail.

I outsource my gold-plating. These are nasty chemicals I prefer not to be around or mess with...

Which is your favorite pewter composition? Do they have restrictions on which pewter alloy can be used for the process? I am always curious to learn about the experiences artists have with different compositions and retention of model detail.

I use a lead-free pewter that has some silver in it. I think they can gold-plate any metal.

Interesting I only used the Tin alloy that has some Copper and Bismuth for low melting temp. Can I ask were you get the tin silver alloy and what the melting temp is?

QUOTE=RelicMaker;4514252]I use a lead-free pewter that has some silver in it. I think they can gold-plate any metal.[/QUOTE]

Interesting I only used the Tin alloy that has some Copper and Bismuth for low melting temp. Can I ask were you get the tin silver alloy and what the melting temp is?

QUOTE=RelicMaker;4514252]I use a lead-free pewter that has some silver in it. I think they can gold-plate any metal.

Hallmark Metals, and the melting point is around 450.

The pewter type is NL7 Pewter. They have another one that has even more silver, but is a little more expensive.

Thank you. I checked this out and NL7 doesn't list silver in the composition but antimony, copper and bismuth so it should be fairly hard. I guess you mean MPK 0.2% silver or NL5 0.35 % silver? Seemed to be reasonable priced although you have to buy 7lbs bars. Haven't made metal props yet but it is tempting to cast some of my 3D models.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back