What to use to strip paint off an vinyl model?

scifiguy67

Years ago I bought a rare Robocop vinyl model from a Japanese novelty shop...I built & painted it with Tamiya acrylics then gloss coat with Krylon acrylic... when I moved I put it in storage & sealed it in a plastic bag. When I pulled it out of storage the plastic bag had astuck to the clear coat & ruined the paint.. what to use to strip the old paint off that won't damage the vinyl?..so I can repaint..... HELP!!!!!

Acrylics can be easily removed with alcohol, e.g. ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't hurt plastic and shouldn't attack the vinyl.

I don't believe (most) Krylon paint can be removed by isopropyl. Super Clean (purple container) should be safe. Test it on an inconspicuous area first and if there are no problems soak the entire model with it. Depending on the age of the paint and the chemical make up of the vinyl, you may get mixed results? It may not remove all the paint. Anything stronger may eat into the vinyl.

TazMan2000

I also have been looking at stripping the paint of an old biliken Batman vinyl figure, superclean isn't avaible for me in the uk, I have heard that dot 4 brake fluid is the way to go perhaps?

I also have been looking at stripping the paint of an old biliken Batman vinyl figure, superclean isn't avaible for me in the uk, I have heard that dot 4 brake fluid is the way to go perhaps?
Be careful with the brake fluid as it can permanently distort the vinyl, if I remember correctly.

I wanted to report that the super clean( it's not made by Castro anymore) worked perfectly for vinyl models it stripped all the old paint off my vinyl model clean after letting it soak for 24hrs with NO damage! ... again thanks everyone for the help

Last edited:
Yep as soon as I learn how to post pictures! 

Easy peasy on this site.

Click on the insert picture icon, highlighted in yellow below, and you can upload your pictures from your computer.

PostPics.PNG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back