The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Damn-- no doubt it's resin.. but what's it cast from?! an eFX reveal or MR like we suspected it got its measurements from?

Do we think this is definitely the white glove? Definitely NOT the TFA BTS right?

I think it has to be based on whatever the cast was made from right?

The emitter and thin neck and grenade section looks like SaberForge Prodigal Son :sick but the lower half and control box, not so much........

Definitely don't think this the TFA BTS saber, I'm pretty sure that is metal.

compare.jpg

Obviously the lighting and angle are impossible to match, but I think I can see enough differences to put the idea these are the same to bed.

Damn-- no doubt it's resin.. but what's it cast from?! an eFX reveal or MR like we suspected it got its measurements from?

Do we think this is definitely the white glove? Definitely NOT the TFA BTS right?

I had this thought upon seeing the 4k shot of the about to be a broke flex onscreen... but the LB sabers are Graflex Inc's if you go by the glass eye and pins (at least the California one, not 100% sure about Florida or Hong Kong).

Thanks again!

That eye sure looks early folmer to me. I call upon the power of @scottjua and his detective thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206

- - - Updated - - -

I think it has to be based on whatever the cast was made from right?

LB in Florida appears to be Folmer with deep glass eye
c1b67f70a59ac1dbc516537fe18c906f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And one of the Graflex...

None of the marring and aging is on the white glove version. I don't think they are the same-- but I don't think that's anything of note when display sabers, on-screen-sabers, and BTS sabers can easily be different and we know there was likely more than one hero used.

The white glove is so pristine, it has to have been buffed up. It looks this way in some shots (Porg shot, pre-splitting) but it looks aged and worn as normal in others (in Luke's hands). I'm starting to think that maybe the clean one is CG, and this white glove version was the hyper-clean Graflex used to scan or be used as reference for a CG model.

compare2.jpg

So you think this might be one of the Launch Bay sabers? Repressed to look more like the one in the film?

Could be, but they would have had to redo the eye, add the tape on the bottom and replace the grip screws with rivets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like an extra step-- if they just wanted a resin version for reference they could just cast whatever they scanned for the 3D model.

The thing that gets me is that there's no blade plug-- this thing wasn't bladed. I suppose the final shot of Ben blocking the attack could be a total composite and would need a bladed-stunt... but why make it more complicated?

I'll put my money on this not being the saber seen on screen in TLJ. The Creepy Uncle looks too much like metal. (And yes, I realize it could have been doctored, but you'd have to replace basically the entire prop with a CG double and/or a paint over of the entire thing.)

I'll put my money on this not being the saber seen on screen in TLJ. The Creepy Uncle looks too much like metal. (And yes, I realize it could have been doctored, but you'd have to replace basically the entire prop with a CG double and/or a paint over of the entire thing.)

I totally agree

Fusion you don’t know what this means to me...

I’m so anxious right now trying to catch up, I was helping my mother feed the elderly today at her annual Easter egg dinner for single seniors

Man... so exciting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think the creepy uncle is all CG and the white glove was just used for reference/scanning.

What the hell did I miss?!?!!!!!!

Well...

Awesome-con Luke saber = white glove saber = painted resin

Awesome-con Graflex = not white glove Graflex = Early folmer

I don't think any of them are used onscreen in TLJ personally, at least not in the way they appear in real life.

I’m so anxious right now trying to catch up, I was helping my mother feed the elderly today at her annual Easter egg dinner for single seniors

There's no room for altruism and goodness in saberin'

Ok, so I caught up. When scrolling from the top and checking out fusions freak’n awesome pics!! I noticed the seam line on the booster and windvane

So... if the TFA BSF saber is metal... who’s to say they didn’t cast this off that? And that’s why the tri ring has been moved on the resin clone?

I highly agree the emitter looks a lot like saber forge, I wonder if production got the dimensions from saberforge? Even the windvane looks like SF to me...

As for tom commenting about the metal paint job, I think punished Props (on YouTube) does an outstanding job simulating metal with his airbrush

He even does many how to’s on how to paint metal, he’s a super talented guy

Can’t believe it’s resin, this explains the god ugly control box...

They did an amazing job cleaning up the casting in some areas, and then in others was like f it... I don’t get it lol

Going back to scan over fusions pics... I really need to vacuum and clean my bathroom today, but now with these pics I doubt that is ever going to happen...

Anyone have any idea what size screws they are?

Best Easter present I ever got! Thanks fusion!!

Would you say the paint on Luke's saber looks dark yellow/brass or coppery/orange in person?

also looks like they used a pipe to hit the rivets on the graflex, I see a ring depression

This is why I remove the “pulling” part of the rivet, I punch it out leaving a hollow rivet, and then epoxy the rivet into the grip. I see to always scratch or dent a rivet when installing them the right way

I call this the “hollow rivet trick” lol

I keep looking at the 4k screenshots of the Creepy Uncle and I'm having a hard time believing it's all CG with the way Mark Hamill holds it in some shots. The details of the creepy uncle from the ribbed section-up match, at least to my eye, this resin saber exactly. I still believe they either just touched up the resin one with CG or there is a metal hero of it.

I thought that too at first-- but...

View attachment 806733

...box rails are totally different.

Damn Seth good eyes!! I’m stuck on a small screen right now!

So... white glove saber built from scratch... why can’t the damn creators of these fill us in a little, you know they come on here and see this stuff...

I would love to know the history and design of this..

With Disney doing all kinds of damage control social media wise, someone tweet Rian Johnson saying we want a weapons video, they did it for r1 have them do it for TLJ

But back to the box, Seth, what the hell is up with those rails?!

Another thing Seth, you know how we all think it would be easy to use bladed sabers for the hut scene?

The angle the camera is at allows for easy cg work on throwing in the blades

Any other angle would be too difficult to cg in blades with out a reference in place (rod)

Just like how fake punches are filmed, they look perfect at one angle, watch the scene from another and the fist is a foot away from the guy. They can pull off this same trick with the lightsaber blades this way

I’ve been going by this theory since everyone thinking they NEEDED a blades stunt for that scene

I feel real strongly the white glove saber (resin stun) is the creepy uncle, and that is why the creepy uncle has so much CG work done to it...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back