Defining the OWK tunisia saber. Is it even possible?

Hey Gang! Here's the second Hales Grenade No3 Mk1 Straight-ended Variant hi-res image...

GRENADE - HALES - No3 Mk1 - Straight End Variant - 02 8bit 1988.jpg

Looks great. I still could see it being 50/50 a large ring grenade, or just flipped. If it was disassembled that's totally imaginable that it would be put back together haphazardly. I've even seen No.3s listed with the brass screwed into the wrong ends... I'll take any excuse to look at Obi saber & No. 3 photos, though :)

Thank you for putting the straight-ended Hales Obi-Wan together, that looks AWESOME!

Do you have any photos of it looking at it from the emitter end? I'd love to see how the other lightsaber pieces compliment each other with the recessed neck of the straight-ended grenade!

I'm sold, that's the outdoor Tunisia saber. Your's is just way prettier!!! Please don't full on rust it till it chunks apart to make it "screen accurate".

Thank you for putting the straight-ended Hales Obi-Wan together, that looks AWESOME!

Do you have any photos of it looking at it from the emitter end? I'd love to see how the other lightsaber pieces compliment each other with the recessed neck of the straight-ended grenade!

I'm sold, that's the outdoor Tunisia saber. Your's is just way prettier!!! Please don't full on rust it till it chunks apart to make it "screen accurate".

It it is a regular No.3, but is the variant with the large ring on the base. I just flipped it to have a straight "top" ring. The brass doesn't quite screw all the way down. I already took it all apart and put it back, but I will take another picture.

I don't see the same taper in the cuts for the ring second-closest to the emitter end. Based on that, I think the grenade is very close to, if not that tan one. This thread is great btw!

Thank you for another flipped grenade photo @parfaitelumiere ! I still think the Tunisia Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber was set up this way! Well, this way or with the double flat-ended Hales like the one in my post #135/#141.

Is that your steel RussRep?

Last edited:
it's genuine original stuff.

I think the original is flipped too.
I also think the tunisia may be the death tar with cone, or maybe there are at least 3 obi sabers...

I am entirely sure that the one used on Tunisia set is a different prop. One of the people who has worked on the original Star Wars confirmed it ages ago to my friend (a prop collector; sorry can't reveal his identity). They made prototypes. They made rubber copies. I'm not sure if they made resin copies for ANH but they surely did for ESB and ROTJ (yes, ESB ;) ).

I personally know of 3 OB1 sabers, out of which one is in private collection, the other one is in the archives; and the third one is in collection of someone from the crew. But they made more than that (for ANH)

it's genuine original stuff.
Double flat-end or bevel-ended?

sorry can't reveal his identity. I personally know of 3 OB1 sabers, out of which one is in private collection, the other one is in the archives; and the third one is in collection of someone from the crew.

BOUNTY HUNTERS OF THE UNIVERSE UNITE!!! 17,000 CREDITS ON THE CAPTURE OF LorduDesign , we'll FORCE ;) the info out of him with our Jedi Mind-tricks!

Seriously though, if that's true, and you're in contact with them, please ask them for some photos of their transistors, pommel caps, and grenades!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I know I shouldn't have mentioned that the saber is in collection hahaha. And yes, he's a good friend of mine.

That's not the saber you'd normally expect to see though. It's a stunt made for ANH, and then reused in ESB. So it doesn't have many details as seen in the hero prop, yet has many details that weren't seen in the hero prop. It's kind of a mix between Luke's ROTJ saber and OB1 ANH saber.

He said though that he will never upload pics online. Well, collectors haha. I can describe how it looks like though.

Most of them are quite secretive about their collections. I know someone who has got one of couple Luke sabers made for ESB and he's also really secretive about it.

As for the reason why they're secretive about it. Well, in most cases when someone has an item and reveals it to the collecting community or even RPF, there are many people who are saying it's fake etc. because they have never seen this variant of the item before. Even though the collectors in this case have acquired the items from production members (and quite important members as well) who had these items since the filming ended.

A lot of acquired props may have basically been stolen at one point. The ESB/ROTJ Vader hero-- that one apparently "vanished" off the set. Howe the Prop House was able to buy it without Lucasfilm claiming it as their property I don't know. Same could be said for Brandon getting his hands on the V2.

I would love to know more about this Obi wan saber in private collection. So is this a v4 now?

Also you said there is a ANH obiwan on the archives? Are you sure of this? I am on a couple boards where people have gained access and have never seen a obiwan ANH in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks LorduDesign for sharing whatever information you can and may reveal to us all ... finally :) Call me crazy yet I still have a hunch that Sir Alec Guinness was allowed to keep his lightsaber as a momento now that his character OB1 died on the Death Star never to be wielding one again . . . so perhaps we should start our search at the Guinness Estate? :wacko

Ridire Firean ... now where can I collect my award? :lol

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to know more about this Obi wan saber in private collection. So is this a v4 now?

Also you said there is a ANH obiwan on the archives? Are you sure of this? I am on a couple boards where people have gained access and have never seen a obiwan ANH in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was indeed a saber in the archives. It wasn't a hero though. As far as I could get info from some prop collectors who visited the archives, it was just a resin casting made for ESB (it was unpainted casting).

But there was hero saber there ages ago. As @Sym-Cha I personally think it's in Sir Alec Guinness's family's collection at this very moment. Nothing can be confirmed without visiting them or contacting them though.

As for the saber, it's not used as a saber ;)

In the Echo Base scene in the Empire Strikes Back you could see some rebels using some lightsaber-looking tools. This is the exact copy seen in the film. It's made out of resin. It was created for ANH but ultimately used in ESB, and possibly in ROTJ (also as background prop).

The prop itself has some interesting design elements. It has some elements from ROTJ Luke's saber (probably first prototyped for ANH but chosen for ROTJ).

As for more details, I'm not really an expert but I'm sure that @Sym-Cha can explain it in more detail because he has seen the saber as well (but please Chaïm explain it without photos :lol ).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back